FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Solunar Tables  (Read 18279 times)

suskymusky

Solunar Tables
« on: Mar 07, 2004, 05:04 PM »
I was wondering how many of you swear by these tables. Do any of you have better luck during a new moon or full moon?I think local weather and sunrise/sunset times affect my fishing more than the moon phase. What do you think?
"IMAGINATION is more important than KNOWLEDGE" Albert Einstein

BuckShotJon

• Retired MFF Mod
Re: Solunar Tables
« Reply #1 on: Mar 07, 2004, 05:45 PM »
I do put alot of faith in them for fishing. I put alot more faith in them for bow hunting though. For hunting I swear by lunar movement.

I have shot most of my deer based upon lunar movement.

I did do a test a few years back actually more like 12 years ago when i fished solid for a month and charted all the fish caught. This was along the Raquetter River in Colton, Ny (near Potsdam) The fish would hit very close to the major/minor times and a hour each way of those times with increased activity.

I have some free sites for you if you need the links.

Jon
"When the people fear the ‘government,’ that is tyranny. When the government’ fears the people, that is liberty. - Thomas Jefferson

crappieloo

« Reply #2 on: Mar 07, 2004, 07:07 PM »
I use the moon phase all the time and my catch rate and catch size correspond to it.

wny angler

« Reply #3 on: Mar 07, 2004, 07:26 PM »
i don't believe in any of that nonsense and i don't read my horoscope either . i do believe in  weather and time of day  as a factor -barometric pressure  changes--fronts ,ect.- in most cases morning & evening are usualy best  and sometimes afternoon  for me  and the nastier the weather the more fish i catch ::)

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #4 on: Mar 07, 2004, 09:40 PM »
I'm with WNY,
Observation of active influences I.E. weather, sun, clouds, fronts, water temp, water clarity, structure, food sources, oxygen levels etc., have a real time impact on fish response.

Moon phases  can be included as well but to a far lesser degree. 

Solunar tables...moon overhead or under foot, rates right up there with voodoo dolls, good luck stuffed frogs and rain dancing.
RG
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

jackbear

• Everday is a good day fishin'
« Reply #5 on: Mar 08, 2004, 03:52 PM »
Well, I look at them, but haven't caught enough fish lately to tell if they work or not.  I figure it can't hurt my odds!
grrr..... jackbear

seaweed01

« Reply #6 on: Mar 08, 2004, 08:09 PM »
I have to agree with WNY and RGFIXIT that barometic pressure and local conditions, plus time of day have more to do with fish biting than moon phases.

eyedoktr

« Reply #7 on: Mar 09, 2004, 07:20 AM »
I firmly believe that the moon phase has a big effect on walleye fishing. I have researched it for over 20 years and I definitely catch more but smaller walleye on a full moon but larger and fewer walleye on a new moon. I even have one of the Casio watches that shows the best fishing times. That being said, I also believe that the best time to go fishing, is whenever you can.
Pete Lewis

LoneWolf

• MFF Mod Team
  • Tight Lines !
« Reply #8 on: Mar 09, 2004, 07:27 AM »
Im with RG on this - there are so many variables to be factored in and moon phases are just another.
Those who are brave are free ..       

akdg

« Reply #9 on: Mar 09, 2004, 04:00 PM »
The moon has alot (everything) to do with fishing, particularly in salt water, but also in fresh.  The tides rule when you're fishing in the ocean, and the tides are "controlled" by the moon .  I could go into the particulars on this but those who know will agree and those who don't will find it hard to swallow until they experience it themselves.  There are definitley other factors to take into consideration, but to ignore the moon phases would be a big mistake in certain situations.  ;)

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #10 on: Mar 09, 2004, 05:46 PM »
Correct me if I'm wrong, but we were asked about Solunar Tables. The daily occurance of the moon being directly overhead or directly under foot.

Not to be confused with moon phases.

Moon Phases are just that...the monthly phases of the moon.

RG
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

eyedoktr

« Reply #11 on: Mar 09, 2004, 06:43 PM »
RG, the sonular tables are based on moon/sun relationship to each other I believe. Therefore the moon phases must be added to the equation. Hmmmm, maybe we should discuss this over a therapy session. Can't make this weekend as I'll be in the Pittsburgh area ,walleye fishing.      :P
Pete Lewis

akdg

« Reply #12 on: Mar 09, 2004, 07:09 PM »
Here is a good link to the "theory" behind this. http://www.solunar.com/  I particularly believe strongly in the last sentence, except for the always part. ;)

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #13 on: Mar 09, 2004, 07:37 PM »
Well since I rate them up there with rain dancing I probably should have kept my mouth .....keyboard ....shut.

I read the Theory...Good Luck Stuffed Frog  still looks better ;D

Good luck in PA Pete, May the forces be with you.

Therapy when you return.
RG

Scott

• Administrator
  • Jig Jig for a big pig
« Reply #14 on: Mar 09, 2004, 07:52 PM »
I used to pay attention to this a lot and sometimes you could swear its right on the money. Now I don't pay any attention to it, I just go fishing... doesn't really matter if it's a "good time period" or not.

Just fish  :P

-Scott

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.