FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Did I make a mistake?  (Read 4250 times)

devil-man

Re: Did I make a mistake?
« Reply #30 on: Jun 06, 2006, 06:16 PM »
Hey OTIS- Are you convinced yet?

Dr. IceGeek

« Reply #31 on: Jun 06, 2006, 08:09 PM »
Hey OTIS- Are you convinced yet?

he should be by now! Actually keep us informed on how that thing performs.  I would be interested just for the sake of comparison from someone who has used Shimano in the past.  Holy smokes....no one even dared to come out of the woodwork and say much of anything good about the quantums......

Shawner

• I'm goin' fishin'
« Reply #32 on: Jun 06, 2006, 08:57 PM »

Bought a Quantam ultralight for pannies about five years back and am still using it. Pulled in a 10 lb. brown and a 9 lb pike as notables to that reel and its been good to me  for perch and crappie also. However, all my other current rigs are Shimano, save one other ultralight Shakespear. Shimano is definately the go to, reliable and smooth. I've  purchesed the lower priced ones and the more expesive Symetere's and a couple Stradics. Love them and wouldn't trade them for any other MEDIUM action reel. I'm nodding Dr. Icegeek on the Daiwa, did have a few over the years and they were decent. Very smooth in certain models. Penn's are the only other high end reels worth buying, of course in my opinion.

fishit

« Reply #33 on: Jun 06, 2006, 09:05 PM »
Otis,
 I am in agreement with alot of these guys in that the Shimano products are first class and the service is tough to beat. when you ever have a problem with the normal wear and tear items as on any working reel. They are quick to get it out to you and rarely do they charge for anything. I have extra bail springs for all of my Shimano reels and I've never bought a single one. great product and great service tough to beat. the Quan"dumb" company gave me the run  around on service of a busted rod, so no more Quantums. just my long winded 2 scents.

Fishit
1,168,124 Trout caught and released since 1997...another good year for the trout...

Big Burk

« Reply #34 on: Jun 06, 2006, 11:15 PM »
i had good luck with my Quantam last open water season but it didnt hold up after the ice season due to the owner befor me kept it outside and it was around8 years old. i fished almost every day last summer and caught over 100 walleye and pike with it along with a few hog perch's. i just recently bought a shamino 2000? ??? but i is super smooth and has a very nice drag system in it and it was only $35 i know i should have got the better one but i was a lil low on the cash at the time. but so far it has reeled in 2 walleye, 2 pike and a 18lb carp ;D. im still using the Quantam on my light action rod but it has a bad drag system right now cause i gotta replace the bearings so i just backreel when need be.

-tight lines

OTIS

« Reply #35 on: Jun 07, 2006, 07:03 AM »
OK, I think I get it.  Thank you everyone for your input.  If there are Quantum fan's out there they didn't have much to say.

If it rains we don't have T-ball I'm going to make a trip back to the store and trade it in for a Shimano.  I hate when that little voice is right!

So which Shimano do I get?

Its between the Stradic FH, Stradic MGFA, Sustain?

I'd love to get a Stella, but if my wife found out I spent that much on a fishing reel I'd be missing parts.
'If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under.' -- Ronald Reagan

'Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the democrats believe every day is April 15.' -- Ronald Reagan

walleye1

« Reply #36 on: Jun 07, 2006, 07:10 AM »
Dr. IceGeek has the right idea. Daiwa SS 1300. You won't be sorry. ;)

fishboy

« Reply #37 on: Jun 07, 2006, 11:27 AM »
Dr. IceGeek has the right idea. Daiwa SS 1300. You won't be sorry. ;)

Listen to your buddy Tim I have four Diawa ss reels two 1600's and two1300's I have been using them since I was about 15 they are awesome, pretty smooth and a real workhorse.  they are not as tight as the newer shimanos but are very nice reels.  I've taken some pretty big saltwater stuff on them and they have performed flawlessly.  I especially like the drags easy to handle, micro fine and smooth as silk.

Good luck

T
Swim with the fishes
live with the fishes
act like the fishes
smell like the fishes!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.