FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Deepest Catfish?  (Read 4737 times)

gobiehunter

Deepest Catfish?
« on: Jun 11, 2008, 11:40 AM »
Was wondering if anyone has a clue as to the depth catfish feed.  Have caught some trolling for eyes but never hit one when trolling for salmon or trout.  Trying to target some in some deeper water. Thanks for the help

miket.

• hard core
Re: Deepest Catfish?
« Reply #1 on: Jun 27, 2008, 09:44 PM »
well, to tell you the truth, i fish on the bottom. that's not were i fish exactly, i put two night crawlers on a #4 hook and cast it out and just let it rest on the bottom till a cat smells the worms. catfish are generally a bottom fish and this is were they hang for the most part. the best way to target catfish is to fish for them at night using the above mentioned method. i came back from a lake by my house yesterday and with me came 2 five pound channel cats and a 6.5 lb.er. if you need any more pointers, just send me a private message and i will be glad to help out . good luck and let me now how you make out cat fishing. :-[ :-[
hard core fanatic!

MTpike

• Catch and release into BACON GREASE !!!
« Reply #2 on: Jul 17, 2008, 11:20 PM »
They can be very shallow at certain times and deep at other times. I've never fished for them in a lake, but they will be near structure. Cut bait is my favorite. Shrimp, minnows, and worms work well too. On or near the bottom.

slipperybob

« Reply #3 on: Mar 07, 2010, 12:22 AM »
The deepest I've caught catfish is about 35-45' deep on river main channel on the bottom.   A lot of times they're suspended about 10-15' down in midwater feeding off of shad or other baitfish.
Slip bobber fishing and ice lounger.

Slipperybob's Wish to Fish and MN Dish...Journal

reubenpa

« Reply #4 on: Mar 07, 2010, 04:07 PM »
I was getting them last summer in about 5-7 FOW  about 25 feet off shore in the local lake!!
Just wanna be fishing, not just wishin

Madpuppy

• HOWASAPA
« Reply #5 on: Mar 11, 2010, 02:11 PM »
Deepest was probably 30 foot, shallowest 1 foot.
I'D RATHER BE HATED FOR WHO I AM,
THAN LOVED FOR WHO I'M NOT.

finlessbrown

« Reply #6 on: Mar 12, 2010, 01:28 PM »
we only have one lake to catch cats and it isn't deep, 20 feet for most of it that holds cats. i do catch them however when they are spawning so shallow that their backs are sticking out of the water, 1 or 2 feet of shore.

gbrebory

« Reply #7 on: Mar 15, 2010, 12:17 AM »
catfish are generally a bottom fish and this is were they hang for the most part.
this is considered true but as catfish progress beyong 10lbs they become predators and tend not to eat off the bottom not saying that they dont but this tends to be the norm that is why fihing on the bottom usually doesnt produce HUGE cats now fishing cutbait just off the bottom produces giants becasue they smell the bait and figure its a dying fish..... catfish are the 3rd most predatory fish in michigan i believe it goes walleye trout catfih isnt that a mind blower you would think northerns would be there but that are quite the scavenger especially after first ice out

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.