FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: cleaning catfish  (Read 5744 times)

perchmasterson

cleaning catfish
« on: Apr 19, 2009, 10:39 PM »
does anyone know if there are amonia veins in catfish, and should they be removed after cleaning fish?

Boomer

Re: cleaning catfish
« Reply #1 on: Apr 19, 2009, 10:57 PM »
Never heard of an "amonia vein" in a fish. I have cleaned many catfish - all sizes. Small ones you can filet or leave whole. Remove skin. Once they get a good size I like to "steak" or cut crosswise the pieces. I usually do not keep fish that large anymore preferring smaller ones in the one  to four pound class to eat.

miket.

• hard core
« Reply #2 on: Apr 20, 2009, 09:05 AM »
i eat cats every week and i have never heard of amonia veins in any fish.please give some more info?
hard core fanatic!

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3 on: Apr 20, 2009, 06:13 PM »
In aquarium fish, red veins are caused by excessive ammonia levels......don't know about catfish.
RG
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

perchmasterson

« Reply #4 on: Apr 20, 2009, 11:12 PM »
i eat cats every week and i have never heard of amonia veins in any fish.please give some more info?
this info was passed to me from my uncle via a gentleman from Mississippi;
all catfish have three ammonia veins in them and should be removed immediately after cleaning/killing the fish. there is one on each lateral line and one down the back.  if fish is filleted, pinch into the lateral line right under the outside of the meat. grab what looks like a tendon and pull it. you will see each flake of muscle flex all the way down the entire fillet.  then pick out the one running down the top of back which maybe on both sides of fillets depending on filleting method. these veins need to be removed right after cleaning the fish to keep the contents of them from leeching into the meat.

i have done this for the last 20+years but have never heard of anyone else doing so, so i thought i would ask here as I'm new to web sites and thought i could get some other opinions about this. also living in Idaho i don't meet many people from the deep south to quiz.

Madpuppy

• HOWASAPA
« Reply #5 on: Apr 25, 2009, 10:21 AM »
I've been eatin' Cats for 40 years and have never heard of this. My Dad has for 70 years and he's never heard of it either. They have always been a great meal. Fished commercially for Catfish my whole life til they outlawed it here on the Missouri and we sold to restaurants and fish markets.
I'D RATHER BE HATED FOR WHO I AM,
THAN LOVED FOR WHO I'M NOT.

BBK

« Reply #6 on: Apr 25, 2009, 06:30 PM »
Also never heard of it.

Boomer

« Reply #7 on: Jun 18, 2009, 01:45 PM »
It almost sounds like you are takig out the lateral line nerve that runs across the body and also the dorsal artery? Any fish biologists that can help?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.