FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Pumped for another year of catfishing.  (Read 18954 times)

bigredfishing

• Screw the BS, let's go fishing.
Re: Pumped for another year of catfishing.
« Reply #30 on: Mar 20, 2005, 10:52 AM »
stinkbait - ever tried live minnows or bluegills for the fatheads? from what i've heard, live fish are the best thing going for flatheads ;)

Pasquatch

• Retired MFF Mod
« Reply #31 on: Mar 20, 2005, 12:27 PM »
I've heard that flatheads love live bluegills too, so its worth a try I guess. ;)

Stink Bait

« Reply #32 on: Mar 20, 2005, 03:45 PM »
I have used live bluegills for flatheads. Funny thing is I have never caught one on a live bluegill. I use bluegills for my cutbait as well and have caught a couple flatheads off of the cutbait, go figure. My dad has caught a few flatheads off of the live bluegills but I have had much better luck with nightcrawlers. They say the little bullhead cats, fished live, are great for the flatheads but I haventt caught any yet in the waters I now fish. If I ever do, you can bet I will be trying that as well.

wny angler

« Reply #33 on: Mar 22, 2005, 01:57 PM »
I'm looking forward to the warm June nights when the cats make their spawning runs up the creeks from lake Erie ----fire up the lantern - bait up with liver sacs and kick back in  the lawn chair and wait for the cats  / don't get any more relaxing than that  .  our cats aren't all that big averaging only 3 to 12 lbs with the occasional 15-20  pounder but they put up a good struggle when hooked ..

tried a lot of different baits for channel cats but nothing beats liver sacs

Deposit

« Reply #34 on: Mar 23, 2005, 01:42 PM »
Boy I'm ready...have to beet last years catch
 :o

camo_fish

• Heeeeere Fishy, Fishy, Fishy
« Reply #35 on: Mar 23, 2005, 05:01 PM »
yea, Deposit, that rock looks familiar.  ;)
I can't wait either.  :D
Fishing isn't a matter of life or death, it's much more important than that!

I live with FEAR everyday, and sometimes she lets me go fishing!

Bobman

• Whoa momma!!!
« Reply #36 on: Mar 28, 2005, 09:07 AM »
wny angler, those liver sacks look interesting.  Is it a secret recipe or can you fill me in about them.  I'm looking to try for some catfish this year at the Catt.  Never fished for catfish before and any tips would be appreciated.  Thanks!
A lot of money is tainted, t'ain't mine and t'ain't yours!

wny angler

« Reply #37 on: Mar 28, 2005, 10:50 AM »
wny angler, those liver sacks look interesting.  Is it a secret recipe or can you fill me in about them.  I'm looking to try for some catfish this year at the Catt.  Never fished for catfish before and any tips would be appreciated.  Thanks!

no secret recipe -i just tie up fresh bloody livers in larger size egg sac tyin mesh so they stay on the hook when i cast and the smaller  fish cant nibble off pieces and steal my bait .
         the catts pretty good for cats from mid may till the end of june.when their making their spawning runs-you can still catch a few during the summer but the best fishings in may/ june.
     you can find good catfishing spots from the mouth of the creek up to rt 20 -ive caught cats upstream of the thruway but the best fishing is in the lower end of the creek.
   night times best but ive caught plenty of em during the middle of the day. look for the deeper areas and fish the upstream end of the holes .i use a slip sinker rig at night and bait up with liver- worms work good too but suckers ,rockbass and sheephead  like the worms too so i stick with liver.

Stink Bait

« Reply #38 on: Mar 29, 2005, 12:50 AM »
You can use an old pair of pantyhose to tie them up too, works great.

Bobman

• Whoa momma!!!
« Reply #39 on: Mar 29, 2005, 08:40 AM »
Thanks for the tips, I've got lots of egg sack tying mesh so that's the way I'll go.  I was going to try the Catt around the dead end street by the hardware store (forget the name of it now).  I know where there are some deeper holes from steelhead fishing there.  I guess I'll just make a camp fire, pop a cold one and sit in a chair waiting for the wiskers to come  :sleep1:.  Not too many better ways to waste and evening  :w00t: :whistling:!
A lot of money is tainted, t'ain't mine and t'ain't yours!

Hookset

« Reply #40 on: Mar 29, 2005, 10:13 AM »
Hardly wasting an evening, I look forward to my cat night every week.  Can't wait, the time is almost here.
We don't own the Earth, the Earth owns us.
US ARMY Veteran: A Battery 6/32 FA, MLRS

chrisN

« Reply #41 on: Mar 29, 2005, 10:57 AM »
i am also getting pumped.  got the quantum optix fs60 reel for christmas and cant wait to try it out 8)  didnt start fishing for cats until late in the season last year when they where all leaving the river so my biggest is only a 34" :P  but i will get a bigger one this year ;D

grumpymoe

« Reply #42 on: Mar 30, 2005, 04:41 PM »
One of my favourite smiles from last year....Grump ;D                                                                                                                               

treed942000

• Bailee and Sandee
« Reply #43 on: Mar 30, 2005, 06:47 PM »
Here's one from last year, and to think, he was caught this time of the year and I haven't even been out this year.

Tight Lines,
TReed

Open Water @ www.myfishfinder.com Icy Conditions @ www.iceshanty.com Hunting @
www.myhuntingforum.com

camo_fish

• Heeeeere Fishy, Fishy, Fishy
« Reply #44 on: Mar 30, 2005, 08:01 PM »
Awesome cat..Grump  ;D
treed942000.. :o that is the fattest, shorty kitty I've ever seen. Wow, WTG

Just a few more weeks and the hole will be prime.  ;D
Fishing isn't a matter of life or death, it's much more important than that!

I live with FEAR everyday, and sometimes she lets me go fishing!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.