FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Skeg Guards  (Read 5796 times)

Jethro

• I fish, therefore I am... always buying gear
Re: Skeg Guards
« Reply #15 on: Sep 18, 2020, 07:47 AM »
Idk Jethro.  I bought a cheap OE replacement and I think it burned me.  60 bucks vs 240 for the starter.  She's frozen solid, jumping terminals wouldn't spin her!

I learned that lesson with a fuel pump on my Merc kicker. Hilarious story actually... if you aren't my accountant. When I first got my kicker motor it ran great for a few weeks then it started acting up. It would start fine and run for about 10 minutes, then it would die. Manually pumping the fuel line when it started to stall would keep it running for another 5 minutes. Ok, fuel pump, easy. Amazon had a off market brand ($65 vs $130 for OEM) and I bought it and installed it but the problem continued. So replaced the fuel tank hose and bulb. Took it off my main tank and used a portable tank. Replaced the fuel filter, all the hose clamps. Cleaned the carb then ended up REPLACING the carb- problem still there. Finally I replaced all the fuel lines with clear Tygon lines and could clearly see while running that air bubbles were coming in above the fuel pump, not below. I had replaced a broken fuel pump with a bad, brand new fuel pump. So trying to save 60 bucks actually cost me about $400 all said and done. 

Never again! I will pay whatever it takes for OEM from now on.

Mac Attack

« Reply #16 on: Sep 18, 2020, 08:07 AM »
I have seen problems with aftermarket electrical boat motor parts.
And you don't want to mess with this.

BOOM!

lowaccord66

« Reply #17 on: Sep 18, 2020, 08:14 AM »
Noted.  We'll see how this one works out.  If it weren't for the terrova we would have needed a tow!

lowaccord66

« Reply #18 on: Sep 18, 2020, 10:10 AM »
Id opt for a repair but we don't have the talent in my state to do it.  35mph right to a rock reef ya it was a nice hit.

Jethro

« Reply #19 on: Sep 18, 2020, 01:15 PM »
Id opt for a repair but we don't have the talent in my state to do it.  35mph right to a rock reef ya it was a nice hit.

Accutech in Dover will do it, but I guess that's still a ways from you. I have a buddy that did the skeg guard and it's been fine for him. Actually looks pretty slick too, especially if you are going to replace with a stainless prop again.

lowaccord66

« Reply #20 on: Sep 19, 2020, 08:38 PM »
Accutech in Dover will do it, but I guess that's still a ways from you. I have a buddy that did the skeg guard and it's been fine for him. Actually looks pretty slick too, especially if you are going to replace with a stainless prop again.

Props on there and working well.  Went with another raker ho.  Ironically this one is a little faster than the last one for being the same pitch. 

I haven't ordered the guard yet.  There's been talk of upgrading boats this spring so I may leave that project for the next owner.

Jethro

« Reply #21 on: Sep 21, 2020, 07:16 AM »
There's been talk of upgrading boats this spring

lowaccord66

« Reply #22 on: Sep 21, 2020, 12:40 PM »

I can't let Mac have all the fun.  That and I desire faster over water speeds.  Although even with the skeg knub I hit 58 yesterday with a full tank of fuel.  Not bad.

Jethro

« Reply #23 on: Sep 22, 2020, 07:18 AM »
I can't let Mac have all the fun.  That and I desire faster over water speeds.  Although even with the skeg knub I hit 58 yesterday with a full tank of fuel.  Not bad.

Faster than 58?

lowaccord66

« Reply #24 on: Sep 22, 2020, 05:03 PM »
Faster than 58?

Ya thankfully I have a windshield now so my gums stay put.  Issue I have is we don't get the cool walleye boats here they have in the Midwest and that's what I am after.  21ft, 250-300hp, windshield, kicker, ipilot, ya know a loan I'll be paying off forever but thats fine.  For the sake of fishing its worth it.  Plus I spend a lot of time jigging the big lakes for lakers so I need a bit more beam and length...and speed.  I never cared about speed but as my kid gets older and I have less time to fish...the faster I can hit a bunch of spots the better.  That and some of the reef jumping I do gets old fast going slower in the chop.

Anyone here that might be interested in a reasonably priced fish n ski with ipilot and panoptix should shoot me a pm.  Fresh prop, and skeg nub included!

filetandrelease

« Reply #25 on: Sep 22, 2020, 05:09 PM »
 All that stuff only makes it a little more comfortable , but doesn’t catch that many more fish Jon , it’s still about being 1 with your prey 😉
 At my age I’m thinking about down sizing

Mac Attack

« Reply #26 on: Sep 22, 2020, 07:10 PM »
Ya thankfully I have a windshield now so my gums stay put.  Issue I have is we don't get the cool walleye boats here they have in the Midwest and that's what I am after.  21ft, 250-300hp, windshield, kicker, ipilot, ya know a loan I'll be paying off forever but thats fine.  For the sake of fishing its worth it.  Plus I spend a lot of time jigging the big lakes for lakers so I need a bit more beam and length...and speed.  I never cared about speed but as my kid gets older and I have less time to fish...the faster I can hit a bunch of spots the better.  That and some of the reef jumping I do gets old fast going slower in the chop.

Anyone here that might be interested in a reasonably priced fish n ski with ipilot and panoptix should shoot me a pm.  Fresh prop, and skeg nub included!

Great place to find a boat like you are interested in.
I have sold 2 boats there over the years.

https://www.walleye.com/boats-for-sale/

And here's another but you need to register with the site -

https://www.lakeontariounited.com/fishing-hunting/forum/54-boats-for-sale/

Jethro

« Reply #27 on: Sep 24, 2020, 08:52 AM »

58mph... what walleye boat will go faster than that?

You may be right about buying new, I struggled to find my very deep and beamy boat because everything I saw used was so underpowered. It seems all the big motors were on bass boats or fish and ski's like yours. If it was a pure fishing boat, it would be like a 19' Lund ProV with a 60hp on it. Finally found my 21' Sylvan that had a motor that met the 2/3rds rule of horsepower. It will go 44mph fully loaded which is pretty fast in a 21' boat with a 10' beam and 3 feet of freeboard. And even though it's not glass it's pretty seaworthy in big water. But I don't have a loan on it! Probably into this for $14k with the kicker, electric riggers, 36v Ulterra and 9" Helix, so it can be done. Ain't no 300hp though. I'm guessing you are looking for a glass boat then?

Mac Attack

« Reply #28 on: Sep 24, 2020, 09:03 AM »
Geoff
10’ beam???

Maybe 8’ or 8.5’
8.5’ is legal limit in pretty much all states without needing an over width permit.

lowaccord66

« Reply #29 on: Sep 24, 2020, 11:22 AM »
Thats a beauty.  Here's what I would consider to be ideal.  If one like this is available in the spring I am buying:

https://www.thayersmarine.com/Pre-owned-Inventory-2018-Ranger-Boats-Boat-621FS-9295484

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.