FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Who's got experience building docks?  (Read 1895 times)

Jethro

• I fish, therefore I am... always buying gear
Who's got experience building docks?
« on: Aug 25, 2023, 09:50 AM »
I just got a house on the water- dream come true, only took 52 years. I have a dock permit in place, what do I need to know about building a dock? I see there are floating docks and docks that sit on mud pads that don't float but are elevated. I'll need to pull this out of the water each winter. My biggest question I guess is how to anchor it to the shore? Do I need to pour a concrete pad or is there something easier?

ActiveTrapChecker

Re: Who's got experience building docks?
« Reply #1 on: Aug 25, 2023, 10:58 AM »
Congratulations on the investment! I wish I could help, but I have no experience or knowledge to share.

Sounds like a fun project

Jethro

« Reply #2 on: Aug 25, 2023, 12:10 PM »
Thanks!

I guess I say that's my only question but I bet I have a lot of questions I don't even know yet.

Mac Attack

« Reply #3 on: Aug 25, 2023, 01:40 PM »
Salt or freshwater Geoff.
The reason I ask is regarding water level fluctuation.
Saltwater has tide considerations.
So, a floating dock is probably best.
Winds, or current?
This will determine how much help you need to keep the dock in place out from the shore.

High winds, waves, and rough water would mean you might want a very solid anchor point on the shore - possibly concrete as you asked.
However, you can also create a simple "saddle" to mount (hinge) the dock from.
Build an "H" with 4x4 pressure treated and sink it into the ground like fence posts with some concrete around the 4x4's to hold them in place.
Fence building has a rule of thumb.
2/3 of the post above ground and 1/3 below.
However, you're anchoring a dock, not a fence post.
I would maybe look at the frost line in your area and sink the 4x4's below that with an additional 6-8" or so.
Hinge the first dock section to the crossbar of the "H".
Use heavy barn door hinges - stainless steel if possible (316 or 321 is best - especially with saltwater).

2" pipes driven into the sea/lake/river bed can be used to hold the dock in place going out from the shore.
Short sections of 2.5" pipe can be strapped to the dock sections where the 2" pipes are.
Your 2" pipes run inside the 2.5" short ones, allowing the dock to rise and fall with the water as needed.

Use pressure treated or composite so it lasts a long time.
Use stainless steel fasteners for the same reason.
Especially if it's salt water, again, 316 or 321 being the preferred stainless steel if possible.

Hope that helps.

Show us pics of it when you finish.
Good luck partner.

Rugburn

• Camp Dog
« Reply #4 on: Aug 25, 2023, 01:53 PM »
I guess the style would depend on how far you need to get out to desired depth. My pond bottom drops off quickly, so a short dock works fine. Mine is on wheels and can be backed into the water with an ATV. I anchor it to shore by driving a couple of pipes into the ground, and then hook it to them so it doesn't roll in. If your bottom is shallow for a long way, you're going to need to use sections you can assemble to get out to deeper water. Check out what others are using in your area.
Congratulations!

Mac Attack

« Reply #5 on: Aug 25, 2023, 03:14 PM »

Check out what others are using in your area.

Excellent advice!!!

Jethro

« Reply #6 on: Aug 28, 2023, 08:03 AM »
It's fresh water and it's not that far off shore that I need to go. I'd say a 12' reach would work. Not huge water, I have islands that are mostly blocking the worst of the fetch. I also don't think it's be my big boat on it, I'm looking for a lighter, smaller boat for this lake. Knew I shouldn't have sold that 14' Starcraft.

The neighbor does have a dock but it looks like a professional deal, I'm more of a do it yourselfer but maybe its best to have the pros come in.

PikeKing23

« Reply #7 on: Aug 28, 2023, 12:34 PM »
This may be under doing it, but my dock is just 4x4 posts sitting on elephant feet that sit on the lake bed. The posts are notched with cross members and have angled bracing. I just put cinder blocks at the shore and rest the end of the dock on top of them. Doesn't have to be as strong as you may think. Ice is the real enemy.

lowaccord66

« Reply #8 on: Aug 28, 2023, 01:27 PM »
Congrats bud!  Post pics of what you end up with.

krispcritter

« Reply #9 on: Aug 28, 2023, 02:40 PM »
Try sending a message to Scott the owner of this sight. I believe he does docks for a living. He may have some insight .
To make small fortune in business, start with a large one.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.