FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: aging a Sebago togue, thank you IF&W  (Read 1054 times)

stguy

aging a Sebago togue, thank you IF&W
« on: Mar 24, 2020, 01:10 PM »
Last spring during our Trolling For Troops "tournament", the veteran I had on my boat landed this 37" laker,

We kept the fish to have it mounted, but after the event we found out that the taxidermist that donated his service only did replicas, I ended up getting the fish from him and asked the biologist here in Gray if they could age it and  they agreed, so I brought it to them and they took the odoliths out and aged them.

I'm no biologist by any means, so if I get something wrong here, please correct me, or if you can add something, please do, I think this is cool stuff.

The odoliths are little slivers of calcium right behind a fishes brain that they hear with, basically their ear drum, and just like a tree, they grow a ring every year, the odoliths in this fish where about 1/3 the size of the fingernail on my pinkie and about the same thickness. The way they age them is to slice them, polish the faces that were cut and count the rings under a microscope. This picture is one of the odoliths from the fish we caught after it has been sliced and polished under a microscope, hopefully you can all open the picture up and see the detail. Near as they could count, that fish was 34 or 35 years old.

seamonkey84

Re: aging a Sebago togue, thank you IF&W
« Reply #1 on: Mar 24, 2020, 03:37 PM »
Wow, nice togue! That’s not that old for the species, I’d a guess a few years older. I guess they grow pretty quick with all the alewives and smelt. I wonder how old the new NH record really is, the estimate seemed low to me, but I guess this proves me wrong as I’m no biologist either.
"You know when they have a fishing show on TV? They catch the fish and then let it go. They don't want to eat the fish, they just want to make it late for something." - Mitch Hedberg

TightLinesMaine

Re: aging a Sebago togue, thank you IF&W
« Reply #2 on: Mar 25, 2020, 11:04 PM »
Glen, that is really cool, thanks for sharing, I can only hope to catch a fish older than I one day 8)  that's a longgggg time to be alive and avoid being dinner.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.