FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: 2019 opener ( Fill in the blank )  (Read 23100 times)

AquaAssassin

2019 opener ( Fill in the blank )
« on: Mar 27, 2019, 02:45 PM »
Hey Fellas,
  I was happy to see the resurgence on the NH shanty page this season fighting the good fight against Facespace. I hope it continues throughout the season here on the open water and furthermore on the Hunting site which has taken a massive hit and Useto be my favorite one of all.

Anyhow. Who’s ready and what are you doing? I grew up considering the opening of open water whenever I could start Salmon and Rainbow fishing through open water with a preseason on the milder winters catching stockies in the Brooks. I know some of you are chomping at the bit to get the bass boats in rivers etc too. Hell I useto target groundfish early too.

So tell me, who’s doing what and preparing how? I’m all geared up got all my salmon gear and trout gear ready and fly patterns tied onto tungsten heads and my 10 foot telescoping rubber netready to roll. I’ll pound the shores until turkey season then prob shoot a few birds until the Stripers and flatties come in.

What say you?
It’s not being Cocky if you can back it up.

When you’re good at something, you’ll tell everyone. When you’re great at something, they’ll tell you.

skinnywater

Re: 2019 opener ( Fill in the blank )
« Reply #1 on: Mar 27, 2019, 03:28 PM »
Same here.  Still getting my stuff ready, I'm hoping there is some water to get after them with all the ice still locked innorth of me.  I'm Greenshack on Ice Shanty and FB is a mess.  I hope this page picks up again, it is really hard to discuss anything as FB seems to have dominated most of the pages like these.
greenshack on shanty

ScotNH

« Reply #2 on: Mar 27, 2019, 03:28 PM »
I unwrapped my boat and put it in the garage a couple of weeks ago. Been working on some upgrades. New chart plotter installed, upgraded to twin batteries for the trolling motor, made some brackets to use a bimini top with my boats track system, added some retractable transom straps to the trailer. I think I’m just about ready to start trolling.

Put my ice gear in the basement last weekend. It was less painful than past years, since I’ve had the boat upgrades to occupy my focus.

Seahunt

• Coffin Dodger @ IS
« Reply #3 on: Mar 27, 2019, 03:48 PM »
Great thread AA!
Hope we can keep this rolling through out the season.

AquaAssassin

« Reply #4 on: Mar 27, 2019, 03:51 PM »
There will be enough to shore fish for sure just maybe tight quarters at peak recreational times. I’ve noticed guys filter in and out like a revolving door whether they are in or not you either got it or you don’t for the most part. Most days if 20 salmon are caught on shore 3/4 of them will be the same guy or group it’s just how it is. It’s just like how it seems the same 10% of guys shoots the deer give it take each year.

Sounds like a sweet rig Scot! Can’t wait to hear the reports

When you’re good at something, you’ll tell everyone. When you’re great at something, they’ll tell you.

jibbs

« Reply #5 on: Mar 27, 2019, 04:49 PM »
Wow some action it’s been me and a few others over the last few years..one more ice trip Saturday and then get the boat ready for the following weekend..bass and more bass..sprinkle in a salmon trip I guess..really looking forward to silver buddy fishing for smallies ..
Chuck Norris sorts his clothes in three loads.....whites, colors, and blood stains

zwiggles

« Reply #6 on: Mar 27, 2019, 04:54 PM »
Oh boy, love seeing this site turn “back on”.

I’m still planning one last Horrah on the ice this weekend, but then I’m switching gears. Probably going to try a stream by my friends house Sunday if I can avoid yard work.

I started to fly fish again last year, and finally landed a few trout on the last day of the season. I’m still learning as I go, but it was a blast, and I am planning on learning more this year in the streams. I didn’t fish much last spring, but I’m hoping to do it more this year. The idea of a salmon/bow/brown in a small stream has me itching.

I also want to get my kayak out and try my hand at fishing the edges of the receding ice as it goes out. One spot in particular I’m hoping to hit opening weekend. Might even try an ice rod and jig for them with the flasher if I can get it in the yak.

I also did my first Groundfishing trip last year, and I’m planning on going for redfish and haddock when the latter opens. It’s definitely not as “fun” as catching a salmon trolling, but I’m still working on the last of my filets from last fall. I now understand why everyone refers to “filling the freezer” with saltwater fish. I will certainly be doing more of this kind of fishing.

I’m also looking forward to ice out trolling. A friend got a camp across the rd from rangeley, and I’m hoping to be up there for ice out with my dad. Also will be waiting for the big lake to ice out. Early season trolling with 6 fly rods is a blast. Floating, sink tip, full sink, and minimal colors of lead make for a fun time. For several different reasons I only got to troll Winni 15 times or so last year which was way way down from the year before. Hopefully do a well late in September on the big lake again, and then it’s all about the streams, scaring some Bambi, and waiting for ice.

Seahunt

• Coffin Dodger @ IS
« Reply #7 on: Mar 27, 2019, 05:30 PM »
Early season trolling with 6 fly rods is a blast. Floating, sink tip, full sink, and minimal colors of lead make for a fun time.
If you have the right fly rod and reel (with decent drag) you can use them all season with mono on riggers.

I have a pair of custom made, 6 wt rods (with spinning rod handles,, ) paired with Orvis Battenkill mid arbor reels, looking for a new home..... if anyone's interested?  ;)   

AquaAssassin

« Reply #8 on: Mar 27, 2019, 05:51 PM »
If you have the right fly rod and reel (with decent drag) you can use them all season with mono on riggers.

I have a pair of custom made, 6 wt rods (with spinning rod handles,, ) paired with Orvis Battenkill mid arbor reels, looking for a new home..... if anyone's interested?  ;)

Sounds like sweet setups Richard. I may be in the market soon for another Trevalla rod the xx heavy 6’6 one with a torium 16N if you or anyone has that specific one kicking around, and a Teramar 7’6 inshore MH  baitcasting rod or something similar. If anyone has any leads  ;D

Seahunt

• Coffin Dodger @ IS
« Reply #9 on: Mar 27, 2019, 06:10 PM »
Sounds like sweet setups Richard. I may be in the market soon for another Trevalla rod the xx heavy 6’6 one with a torium 16N if you or anyone has that specific one kicking around, and a Teramar 7’6 inshore MH  baitcasting rod or something similar. If anyone has any leads  ;D
They are sweet for those who like light tackle (only way to go), Frank.
I'll have to check and see if I still have my Trevalla? The smallest Torium I had was a 20 and I know that's gone.
I'll check my inventory for something similar to the Teramar and keep my eyes open for you.
Sounds like you're well healed now? If so, Congrats, great to hear!

AquaAssassin

« Reply #10 on: Mar 27, 2019, 06:19 PM »
Yes I’m pleased with my progression, sadly I haven’t learned and jumped right back into work non stop and now don’t Fish bc of time again vs health. I blame myself. Haven’t fished since I got cleared to work with no restrictions on 3/4

AquaAssassin

« Reply #11 on: Mar 27, 2019, 06:22 PM »
Had a woman on a job tell me she “ did the same thing but not as bad” then basically told me I was a fool because she’s on disability and has a weed card now and I chose to work and dal with it. That right there is why the world is how it is. She probably lives better too lol. Whatever, my pride couldn’t handle that.

Seahunt

• Coffin Dodger @ IS
« Reply #12 on: Mar 27, 2019, 07:33 PM »
Had a woman on a job tell me she “ did the same thing but not as bad” then basically told me I was a fool because she’s on disability and has a weed card now and I chose to work and dal with it. That right there is why the world is how it is. She probably lives better too lol. Whatever, my pride couldn’t handle that.
Good for you, Frank!
You can walk with your head up, continue to support your family and have them be proud of you.
Like you, I couldn't live with myself knowing that I was cheating the system.
Your time will come when every day is a holiday and every meal a feast, AKA hunt & fish 24/7 minus the honey do list.  ;)

Roccus

« Reply #13 on: Mar 27, 2019, 08:56 PM »
It begins!... as I said on shanty, I'll have to breach the boarder, the Mass forum don't cut it!so if I'm allowed I'll "crash" here..

Stuck my head under the boat cover,last night,it spoke to.me! I did most of my maintenance last fall, I'll paint the bottom and wind a new set of plugs in it and she should be good, I ordered a Garmin pantopix live scope to go with my Garmin echo map plus 94SV I installed last year,so.ill have to hook that up.
 First few trips will be for haddock,  then I'll combine flounder fishing with some light tackle and fly rod striper fishing,  by late may, I'll do some live lining with mackerel for larger  Stripers. . June is when it gets serious,4 nights a week and big girls, that'll last until October,  when my thoughts once again turn towards walking on water.
Speaking of stripers, I will be presenting a free night striper fishing seminar at West marine in Woburn Mass. In a month or so, the dates have not been set yet, last 2
years I talked to the standing room.only crowd until they turned off the lights!..
I'll post the dates and times when they become available.

Streamfisha

• Poolguy on IS
« Reply #14 on: Mar 27, 2019, 09:09 PM »
Great thread AA!
Hope we can keep this rolling through out the season.

X2 Seahunt

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.