FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Fishing report or not for yesterday  (Read 2090 times)

White Pine

Fishing report or not for yesterday
« on: May 07, 2019, 09:44 AM »
Got out on Winnisquam early in morning (daylight) and sat in fog patiently waiting. soon enough it cleared shortly afterwards. started trolling the usual areas and did mark fish. Water temp. about 45 light breeze came up out of the east. bad news wind smelled like skunk gotta hate east wind! We tried all the usual hardware and flies but no success. Went deep into the tackle box without any luck for about 5 hours. Oh well beat staying home. 
 So one question, used some spoons with split rings causing twisting. I use leadcore and fast sinking fly line barrel swivel to florocarbon leader. Got me wondering should I remove all split rings or are some spoons better with? Any thoughts? Thanks in advance

zwiggles

Re: Fishing report or not for yesterday
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2019, 10:04 AM »
At least you had some good weather on the lake! The few times I fished winnisquam early in the year I also got skunked.

For split rings, I use them on 95% of my spoons. There are a few which seem to not run correctly when the split ring gets added, but it’s only a few.

Also if I find most of the spoons I troll don’t actually spin, but rather wobble back and forth. When I put them out I run them next to the boat first to see if it needs to be tweaked a little bit. It’s all about experimenting and finding what works for you.

Seahunt

• Coffin Dodger @ IS
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2019, 07:42 PM »

So one question, used some spoons with split rings causing twisting. I use leadcore and fast sinking fly line barrel swivel to florocarbon leader. Got me wondering should I remove all split rings or are some spoons better with? Any thoughts? Thanks in advance
The split rings aren't causing your "twisting"! I'm guessing you mean line twist?
If so, you need higher quality barrel swivels. There's a few very good quality barrel swivels. I wouldn't mess with the rest. One of the best is made by Spro. I'd recommend their #10 power swivel for trolling our lakes. It's 35# test and small enough to get through your guides and line leveler on your reels.
The "smaller" spoons we use in NH will work with or without split rings. If you're tying direct to the spoon, I'd recommend using the split rings. If using a duo lock snap, you can go either way.
Also I find most of the spoons I troll don’t actually spin, but rather (should) wobble back and forth. When I put them out I run them next to the boat first to see if it needs to be tweaked a little bit.

Good advice here. ^ ^

Roccus

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2019, 06:25 AM »
As has been pointed out, a spinning spoon is less effective,  trolling speed affects this, also spinning reels are the # 1 culprit  causing line spin..

Jethro

• I fish, therefore I am... always buying gear
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2019, 06:47 AM »
Yeah, like Roccus said, what were your trolling speeds? With cold water, below 50f you should be trolling pretty slow.

White Pine

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2019, 07:53 AM »
Hi guys thanks for the input. Just a little more info from me. I troll using fly rod and large fly reel only. I do use spro barrel swivels and do check beside boat to see if they are running true. Speed was 1.5 - 2mph. Was using Sutton, DB Smelts, Washington, and several size / color Mooselooks. Don't use down riggers just rod holders. Only other thought was how much leader between spoon and swivel? An old timer (I am 72) He is well into his 80"s told me a leader for trout/salmon should be at least 20+". Have followed his advice with pretty good success. As always still time to learn!   

Roccus

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2019, 08:27 AM »
Hi guys thanks for the input. Just a little more info from me. I troll using fly rod and large fly reel only. I do use spro barrel swivels and do check beside boat to see if they are running true. Speed was 1.5 - 2mph. Was using Sutton, DB Smelts, Washington, and several size / color Mooselooks. Don't use down riggers just rod holders. Only other thought was how much leader between spoon and swivel? An old timer (I am 72) He is well into his 80"s told me a leader for trout/salmon should be at least 20+". Have followed his advice with pretty good success. As always still time to learn!

at 64 I'm still learning.. as my old pappy used to say, you don't stop larning until you take a dirt nap.

I always matched my leaders to the length of the rod when using a fly rod..I'll use 20 on lead core..suttons, mooselooks and DB's are my favorites.. I've probably caught more salmon on copper/silver suttons than all other methods ( except live smelt) combined...do you jig the rods or just leave them in a holder, I fish mine on outriggers, caught a lot of fish that way.

White Pine

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2019, 09:04 AM »
Hi Roccus, I guess a little bit of both. If I can get tuned in ( depth, speed, lure, color) I go with that until I need to change it up. I also like zig zagging as that seems to stimulate a strike especially with salmon, also I don't mind dragging streamers around and probably have equal success with those. Have you ever trolled with a PK flutter fish? Copper, Gold, Silver I have literally caught all species on them when nothing else works, this trip I forgot they were with my ice fishing jigs,but I fixed that problem for next time!

Roccus

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2019, 10:50 AM »
Hi Roccus, I guess a little bit of both. If I can get tuned in ( depth, speed, lure, color) I go with that until I need to change it up. I also like zig zagging as that seems to stimulate a strike especially with salmon, also I don't mind dragging streamers around and probably have equal success with those. Have you ever trolled with a PK flutter fish? Copper, Gold, Silver I have literally caught all species on them when nothing else works, this trip I forgot they were with my ice fishing jigs,but I fixed that problem for next time!

You have a good plan, changing directions is huge, I never understood why some people insists on trolling a straight  line.. never trolled a flutter fish,  and like you,  locked away with my ice fishing gear.. in my case, they'll stay there,  I won't make it up north this year. As my boats going in its slip a week from today, it's haddock and striper time.after I take the boss lady to maine for mothers day, she won't see me for an extended period until October.

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2019, 11:43 AM »
Joe, you are leaving your wife in Maine for the whole summer?!?!?! Now I know your secret!

Just kidding!
Wicked Wec

Roccus

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2019, 11:49 AM »
Joe, you are leaving your wife in Maine for the whole summer?!?!?! Now I know your secret!

Just kidding!

LOL..I would notb survive without her. .but it's almost hammer time.

Jethro

• I fish, therefore I am... always buying gear
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2019, 01:08 PM »
An old timer (I am 72) He is well into his 80"s told me a leader for trout/salmon should be at least 20+". Have followed his advice with pretty good success. As always still time to learn!

Well I'm gonna subscribe to the slightly plus side of that... My leaders for leadcore are about 70 feet.

Seahunt

• Coffin Dodger @ IS
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2019, 01:43 PM »
Sounds like you're doing everything about right to me. All those spoons come with split rings (Sutton's have solid rings) and pull fine without line twist. If your line twist was on just one rod, I'd examine the swivel. Make sure it spins freely on both ends. Occasionally, you can get some pollen stuck in there or have one buggered up one way or another.
Did you mean 20' (feet) or 20" (inches)? Depending on what main line you're using, leader length = stealth. If you're using a long mono top shot, you should have a swivel within a rods length of your lure. A swivel too far back from your lure will definitely cause line twist.   

White Pine

« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2019, 02:49 PM »
Hi Seahunt, thanks I think you it the nail on the head. Should have paid closer attention to the swivel. Typically run 20' of leader with swivel to leader only. Probably why it was not happening each time I changed over. Jethro your right longer is better but some of the smaller ponds I troll would keep me busy! Heading to Rangeley on the 19th for 4 days then hit some of the local waters b4 the yahoo's show up. Roccus I too will hit the salt a little later. Good luck to all and thanks again!

Seahunt

• Coffin Dodger @ IS
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2019, 06:08 PM »
Hi Seahunt, thanks I think you hit the nail on the head. Should have paid closer attention to the swivel.
You're welcome. Even good swivels can fail and they're easy to overlook.
Good luck on Rangely. Years ago, I used to enjoy fishing there, Mooselookmeguntic and Cupsuptic with friends.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.