FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Livewell salmon?0  (Read 7682 times)

meatandmetal

• meatandmetal on IS
Re: Livewell salmon?0
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2019, 03:24 PM »
Agree CD. If I am keeping a trout I snap its neck before I put it on a stringer. Quicker they die (like deer) the better they taste.

Seahunt

• Coffin Dodger @ IS
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2019, 05:32 PM »
Agree CD. If I am keeping a trout I snap its neck before I put it on a stringer. Quicker they die (like deer) the better they taste.
True Denny, and often overlooked. I'll do that in a canoe. On a bigger boat on the sweet water, my choice of weapons is a heavy pair of needle nose pliers to the back of the head. On the salt, it's a smile under their jaw with a sharp knife. 
Due to being chronologically challenged and having CRS, I can't say for sure....but this live well rule is roughly 5, 6 or more years old. In fresh water, if the aforementioned fish are in your boat and not being unhooked, they should be dead!

ScotNH

« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2019, 07:09 PM »
The key words are LIVE and POSSESSION!
There's no grey areas here!

I think there may be a gray area. The CO I asked last year said I could keep Browns and Rainbows in my livewell, but they had to be dead once I got off the water. I’m not sure if the information he gave me was wrong, or if that is some gray area, or his own interpretation. At this point, I wouldn’t put them in my livewell, but I definitely plan to ask the question again the next opportunity I have.

Seahunt

• Coffin Dodger @ IS
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2019, 08:00 PM »
I think there may be a gray area. The CO I asked last year said I could keep Browns and Rainbows in my livewell, but they had to be dead once I got off the water. I’m not sure if the information he gave me was wrong, or if that is some gray area, or his own interpretation. At this point, I wouldn’t put them in my livewell, but I definitely plan to ask the question again the next opportunity I have.
ScottNH, with all due respect to you and what the CO said to you or your interpretation of what the CO said to you, that just isn't the case.

"Under the definitions page it defines brook trout as the following.

Brook trout: Brook, rainbow, brown and
golden trout, Loch Leven trout and all their
hybrids."
“(b) No person shall have live lake trout, landlocked salmon, brook trout, black bass, northern pike, or black crappie in their possession, except if the person is participating in a permitted bass tournament, or holds a current aquaculture permit, importation permit, possession permit or permit to release for the fish in possession.”
The above rule & definition is clear as a bell.
The CO you spoke to may not be aware of the definition of "Brook trout", hence misinterpreting the above rule?
It's highly unlikely that every CO got 100% on the definitions section of their test. Rules change, Definitions change.
I'm not asking you to believe me. If the rule and definition of brook trout are not absolutely clear to you, I'd call or get in touch with Heidi Murphy at F&G in the Concord office.
Another option would be if Scott Decker chimed in here?
He does read NH fishing forums at least, occasionally. 

TheCrittaC

« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2019, 10:03 PM »
If you have live fish in your possession, they can probably get you for the no culling law. Best to kill immediately if you decide to keep, or release immediately if you decide to release.

AquaAssassin

« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2019, 05:07 AM »
Just throw the trout back anyway and keep the Bass ;) :-* 8)
It’s not being Cocky if you can back it up.

When you’re good at something, you’ll tell everyone. When you’re great at something, they’ll tell you.

AquaAssassin

« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2019, 05:11 AM »
Illegal the next month although I’m just busting anyway. I’d rather eat a bass for sure.
It’s not being Cocky if you can back it up.

When you’re good at something, you’ll tell everyone. When you’re great at something, they’ll tell you.

meatandmetal

• meatandmetal on IS
« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2019, 05:56 AM »
Illegal the next month although I’m just busting anyway. I’d rather eat a bass for sure.

Illegal starting tomorrow. From a clear lake not a mud pond.  :sick:

800stealth

• Got Smallies??
« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2019, 09:30 AM »

Agreed... I'll take any member of the sunfish family on my plate over stocked trout. Fresh smallies from umbagog cooked over the fire 10 minutes after being caught... awesome...

meatandmetal

• meatandmetal on IS
« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2019, 09:34 AM »
Agreed... I'll take any member of the sunfish family on my plate over stocked trout. Fresh smallies from umbagog cooked over the fire 10 minutes after being caught... awesome...

Hard to beat a cleaner lake than that. Agree with the smallies.

Johnnh

« Reply #25 on: May 14, 2019, 10:42 AM »
Have you tried the smallies out of Conway Lake
Merrymeeting fish are also nice and clean

ScotNH

« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2019, 03:31 PM »
ScottNH, with all due respect to you and what the CO said to you or your interpretation of what the CO said to you, that just isn't the case.

"Under the definitions page it defines brook trout as the following.

Brook trout: Brook, rainbow, brown and
golden trout, Loch Leven trout and all their
hybrids."
“(b) No person shall have live lake trout, landlocked salmon, brook trout, black bass, northern pike, or black crappie in their possession, except if the person is participating in a permitted bass tournament, or holds a current aquaculture permit, importation permit, possession permit or permit to release for the fish in possession.”
The above rule & definition is clear as a bell.
The CO you spoke to may not be aware of the definition of "Brook trout", hence misinterpreting the above rule?
It's highly unlikely that every CO got 100% on the definitions section of their test. Rules change, Definitions change.
I'm not asking you to believe me. If the rule and definition of brook trout are not absolutely clear to you, I'd call or get in touch with Heidi Murphy at F&G in the Concord office.
Another option would be if Scott Decker chimed in here?
He does read NH fishing forums at least, occasionally.

I don’t disagree that it seems quite clear. Like I said, I won’t be putting them in my livewell, but I’d definitely like to ask the question again, and see why the answer I got is either incorrect, or covered by some gray area that isn’t obvious.

Seahunt

• Coffin Dodger @ IS
« Reply #27 on: May 14, 2019, 09:23 PM »
I don’t disagree that it seems quite clear. Like I said, I won’t be putting them in my livewell, but I’d definitely like to ask the question again, and see why the answer I got is either incorrect, or covered by some gray area that isn’t obvious.
"
I'd call or get in touch with Heidi Murphy at F&G in the Concord office.
"
You have to keep in mind that a CO "needs to" know "all" the fishing, hunting, trapping, OHRV laws, definitions and more...
It's not unrealistic to think that all CO's don't know all of them off the top of their heads. I've enlightened a CO or two on one or more less obvious rules in very amicable terms.
I've also done the same with a state and a local PD regarding farm vs Ag plates and an OHRV law on private property. They weren't quite as amicable and had to check "law books" to verify.
It's ultimately up to the individual angler to know the rules on the body of water they're fishing.   

Roccus

« Reply #28 on: May 15, 2019, 11:46 AM »
I can't believe this thread is still gowing, fishing must be slow, or the weather bad ;D
.salt or frsh, unless ice fishing,  I  bleed and gut any fish, as an aside, I kept a few gut hooked smallies last winter, my wife made awesome fish taco with them, and she told me to leave the trout in the lake.

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #29 on: May 15, 2019, 01:41 PM »
I can't believe this thread is still gowing, fishing must be slow, or the weather bad ;D
.salt or frsh, unless ice fishing,  I  bleed and gut any fish, as an aside, I kept a few gut hooked smallies last winter, my wife made awesome fish taco with them, and she told me to leave the trout in the lake.

Joe - is it the trout texture? Bass are definitely flaky where as a trout is mushy. (unless smoked)
Wicked Wec

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.