FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Sit on seat project complete for older model Hobie Mirage Kayak  (Read 3008 times)

taxid

Put a sit on seat together with left over schedule 3/4 inch 40 and 80 PVC, some PVC fittings, and a seat I bought off of Ebay for $35.00 with free shipping. Very sturdy, not wobbly, and easily removable. I may add a small sheet of plywood or starboard plastic between the seat and frame with zip ties. Doesn't seem to need it but a test run will tell.

The original seat was very low and consisted of nothing more than snap in pad and a back. Too low and uncomfortable for this 61 year old. Made it hard to get out of too!

Here is is the completed frame. Weights 2 lbs. 8 1/2 oz. minus he seat.

Here it is on the kayak.

Two rear legs slide down into scupper holes and are stopped by the 't's.

Two more legs recess into scupper holes directly under the seat with rubber chair leg tips.

The seat has two straps and buckles underneath that snugly fit around the frame. (Picture shows bottom of the seat)

The seat and frame in place: 

Total cost was under $50.00 including the seat.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
Really nice job on that. Light, functional and ( my favorite) CHEAP!

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

taxid

Really nice job on that. Light, functional and ( my favorite) CHEAP!

Rg

Thanks! Hobie sells a seat for $500.00 for other models.

“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

icejohn

• God, Family.......Fishing.
I like it....I'm in the process of converting mine...I bought a folding/padded boat seat will be mounting it with a piece of square alum tubing and few pvc pieces....well nuts and stainless screws....will post when done...prob about $50 as well.
take a kid hunting and fishing, it's a lot better than leaving them on the streets!!

taxid

very nice job!!  not just a fish head but handy too!  lol

if you get too high on that thing your apt to tip over without an outrigger.  but you can make that out of pvc too easy enough.

That is a possibility, so will do a test in one of the ponds on the property. However saw one Youtube video where the guy said he had no issues. OTOH if it's easier to get out of because I'm higher I may be less prone to fall out!

Am seriously considering making outriggers with PVC and lobster floats which are bullet shaped. A wooden dowel is inserted into the PVC to make it stronger. Or use electrical plastic conduit. This would make it safer to stand up in the kayak. One Youtube video shows using an adjustable flagpole holder on each side to adjust the angle of the outrigger or pull it out of the way when not using it.

The lobster pot floats are available on Ebay. Or guys fill 2 litter bottles with foam and paint them. I prefer the lobster floats. 

This one uses rod holders to secure that are dual purpose.

taxid

shoot taxi sell those thing!!!

Problem is all kinds of variations in kayaks. This configuration would only work on my particular Hobie Mirage kayak.

taxid

I lucked out. I have ports for an outrigger!  But definitely not buying the ones Hobie sells! It's about $200.00! Hell No! ::)

Looks like 1 1/4 inch PVC or plastic electrical conduit would fit nicely into the ports.

The creative gears are churning!

Jethro

• I fish, therefore I am... always buying gear
Thanks! Hobie sells a seat for $500.00 for other models.

taxid

Yeah that was my reaction too.

lowaccord66

My 19'6 which does 40 mph fully loaded was only 1700 more than a new hobie. Everything with that brand is overpriced. 

taxid

Re: Sit on seat project complete for older model Hobie Mirage Kayak
« Reply #10 on: Apr 30, 2019, 11:32 AM »
My 19'6 which does 40 mph fully loaded was only 1700 more than a new hobie. Everything with that brand is overpriced.

You got that right. I wouldn't have bought the one I have for the full price. I got it for half of the list price because it was a floor model and a little dated. And I saved $800.00 by picking it up in person.

My main impetus was the mirage drive to free my hands while fishing. Worked great last summer with the downrigger trolling for trout in a pond in Massachusetts. All the acessories and electronic wiring I added myself and/or made the components. Wouldn't dream of buying them at their ridiculous prices.
And I enjoy the DIY process.

lowaccord66

« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2019, 01:51 AM »
Its coming along nicely id say.  There are a few spots near me the big boat cant make it in.  One of those would be perfect.  If you end up in CT on a fishing trip let me know.  One 3 minutes down the road from me.  Smelt fed browns and smallies.  Car top only and no shoreline development!

Jethro

• I fish, therefore I am... always buying gear
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2019, 07:18 AM »

The Hobie Mirage drive does happen to be the best of all the pedal drives. I'd be hard pressed to pony up for one but they are worth it.

taxid

« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2019, 08:49 AM »
Its coming along nicely id say.  There are a few spots near me the big boat cant make it in.  One of those would be perfect.  If you end up in CT on a fishing trip let me know.  One 3 minutes down the road from me.  Smelt fed browns and smallies.  Car top only and no shoreline development!

That is very gracious of you! I'll keep that in mind, but will be heading farther north in Maine this time. However I invite you or others here that have been so hospitable and helpful to meet me up in Maine for some fishing, and you'd have a place to stay free of charge for a day or two. This especially goes out to Baitbucket that took me out on Quabbin for the day the last time I was in Mass.

I'll be staying on Minnehonk Lake near the town of Mt. Vernon. Not that far up in Maine. I'll have both my regular boat and the kayak. At least that is what I'm thinking at this point.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.