FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Invasive species  (Read 4011 times)

taxid

Re: Invasive species
« Reply #15 on: Mar 29, 2021, 09:41 AM »
It is becoming increasingly obvious that merchant ship captains must be the most careless, ignorant creatures in the world.  Exxon Valdez, all the foreign crap introduced into US waters by not following regulations on how to handle ballast water. Sailing one of the largest ships in the world into the Suez Canal during a sandstorm. It will never end. The government can make all the rules they want.  It will make them and their naive supporters feel good but if the rules aren't followed they are useless.
Also the people that thought it was a good idea to import cheap Chinese crap on untreated pallets can be added to the list of vermin.

It's not the ship captains. It's the power of corporate lobbyists and the politicians that get funding via those lobbyists from big corps and in turn do their bidding. Hence they have the interests of the big corps over our piddly fishing and recreational needs. Our system is set up where you need lots of funding to run for office, and you have to keep soliciting for funding while you are in office to campaign and stay in office. Many politicians loath the fact that they have to spend a large part of their time begging for funding, but they have no choice. At least a few out there now don't take corporate money and depend instead on small individual donations.

A very astute friend that is now deceased, said a simple solution would be to treat the ballast water with nitrogen gas which is inert and harmless outside of a contained space such as ballast tank. Would kill anything in those tanks. It was never taken seriously as far as I know. I do think there are rules in place but haven't kept up enough know if they are implemented or how effective.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

FrankM

« Reply #16 on: Mar 29, 2021, 12:26 PM »
I guess I am not woke enough. I am just an old-fashioned dinosaur who believes in individual responsibility.
Kool Aid Kool Aid, Tastes Great, Wish we had some, can't wait.

taxid

« Reply #17 on: Mar 29, 2021, 03:14 PM »
What is "woke"  or "woke enough?"
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

UglyStik

« Reply #18 on: Mar 29, 2021, 05:22 PM »
Speaking of invasives...

https://www.syracuse.com/outdoors/2021/03/anglers-tale-i-caught-a-14-12-inch-goldfish-in-onondaga-lake-with-my-fly-rod.html

Is there a NYS record category for GOLDFISH? This guy might have had a shot at it.

Shawner

• I'm goin' fishin'
« Reply #19 on: Mar 30, 2021, 09:31 AM »

Back in 2003 I was part of the first fish survey conducted in and around the Montezuma Wildlife Complex. We shocked the waters for 3 days and came up with some surprises in the nets. One of which was a huge mutant goldfish that was someone's pet or prize from a carnival game. It had no gill plates and its gills were just well, exposed. :o To this day, one of the strangest things I've seen in local waters. The Clyde river to be exact.

taxid

« Reply #20 on: Mar 30, 2021, 04:33 PM »

Back in 2003 I was part of the first fish survey conducted in and around the Montezuma Wildlife Complex. We shocked the waters for 3 days and came up with some surprises in the nets. One of which was a huge mutant goldfish that was someone's pet or prize from a carnival game. It had no gill plates and its gills were just well, exposed. :o To this day, one of the strangest things I've seen in local waters. The Clyde river to be exact.

Wow I could see other species not surviving that. It shows you what a tough *** fish a goldfish is!

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
« Reply #21 on: Apr 04, 2021, 12:33 PM »
carp are invasive wait when them jumpers get here
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #22 on: Apr 04, 2021, 02:58 PM »
Doubt they’ll ever get this far.
Every new specie is invasive. Hell, humans are the most invasive specie of all. We try to change everything to suit what we think is good. It might be....10% of the time.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

fontona19

« Reply #23 on: Apr 04, 2021, 03:56 PM »
All species have the potential to be invasive. Depends on the body of water. Carp in most bodies of water are non-native and nothing more.

filetandrelease

« Reply #24 on: Apr 04, 2021, 05:13 PM »

http:// han ...
Aug 13, 2019 — The Chicago Tribune covered the study, and emphasized the alarming finding that bighead carp could sustain themselves across at least 97% of Lake Michigan from June through November. ... Asian carp have been found in the Chicago River, as close as 9 miles from Lake Michigan and their DNA has been found even closer.

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
« Reply #25 on: Apr 04, 2021, 05:17 PM »
they be coming
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #26 on: Apr 04, 2021, 05:24 PM »
Can’t stop Mother Nature.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

filetandrelease

« Reply #27 on: Apr 04, 2021, 05:43 PM »

Rg
There always seems to be a way

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #28 on: Apr 04, 2021, 05:48 PM »
That’s a fact Jack!

Rg

taxid

« Reply #29 on: Apr 06, 2021, 07:10 AM »

Rg

A little personal anecdote to show you how pervasive mother nature can be:

I used to have only female yellow perch in a pond as the females grow the fastest, get the largest, and when full of eggs can be quite impressive as we all know. This is part of my niche market where I grow trophy size fish of various species for the taxidermy market. Anyway, I needed a place to put the males that I used for breeding in a separate pond, which I put in a floating pen, in the same pond attached to a pier, with the bottom of the pen about 8 feet off the bottom.  The pens were put together with plastic zip ties, and the extra material from one zip tie was sticking out on one bottom corner. One day I walked out on the pier and noticed a massive yellow perch egg strand precariously hanging off the piece of zip tie! I ran back to the house to get a long handled net to scoop up the egg strain as I suspected the males in the pen probably sprayed the egg strand through the mesh. When I got back the egg strand had fallen off. I was too late. Sure enough I had yellow perch reproduction the year! Nature had found a way.

I've also had bluegill and yellow perch swim upstream under ground about 300 feet through strong flow in a 6 inch drainage pipe the comes out of my trout from my warm water pond.

In our are we are seeing the blacknose crappie variant show up in public waters that are only planted in private ponds.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.