FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Bluebirds  (Read 15693 times)

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
Re: Bluebirds
« Reply #120 on: May 05, 2021, 08:57 AM »
Our pair do the same. Just watched them chase a couple starlings off the feeder and out of the yard. The best is watching them dive on the squirrels.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #121 on: May 05, 2021, 09:08 AM »
Yeah that’s cool. Nice job 👍
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

zwiggles

« Reply #122 on: May 05, 2021, 10:15 AM »
Out bluebirds have their first clutch of young chirping away now. Hopefully the cold weather coming up doesn’t ruin it.

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #123 on: May 05, 2021, 05:05 PM »
Saw my first mean ol little house wren when I got home today....
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #124 on: May 05, 2021, 05:29 PM »
We ate dinner watching our pair make trip after trip to the mealworm feeder. No doubt that they have chicks in the nest. It’s been a weird spring. Warm, cold, warm, cold,... not much for bugs.....hope they get this clutch reared successfully.  If they do. There will be more this year.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #125 on: May 10, 2021, 06:06 AM »
So far so good. The pair are feeding all day long. It’s a constant battle with the starlings.

The bluebirds are funny. If the feed tray is getting they’ll perch out there and stare in the kitchen window at us.

Rg

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #126 on: May 17, 2021, 06:30 AM »
One should fledge any day now. Maybe even today. Mom and Pop have basically stopped taking food to the box and are hanging outside. I think they’re trying to encourage them to take the plunge.
 We can see them in the box opening.
Rg

Doubles Shooter

« Reply #127 on: May 17, 2021, 07:30 AM »
Finally getting action in my nest box. The nest is maybe half finished. I had to discourage a couple sparrows, but they got the message fast.
For some reason, our birds seem to nest later in the season. Last summer they raised 2 broods.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #128 on: May 17, 2021, 01:05 PM »
Ours are out and in the trees. Mom and Pop have been hitting the feeder and flying off into the top of one of our big maples.
Haven’t spotted any of the chicks as yet. At this point they’re still really camouflaged.

I’ll clean out the nest box and give it a good scrub before they want to nest again.
Rg

Bartman44

« Reply #129 on: May 18, 2021, 06:42 PM »
Well my son's didn't fair so well. He came home from a fishing trip the other night, noticed no activity, and found three little ones dead on the ground. He said a house sparrow invaded the nest, apparently they are deadly on bluebirds. We were saddened  but nature is cruel.  The good news is that his other pair are doing just fine.     

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #130 on: May 18, 2021, 06:47 PM »
What type of house is he using?
The Petersen style I built this year foiled the sparrows completely. We’ve yet to find our chicks in the trees, but mom and pop have been running back and forth to the tree tops feeding them.hard to spot them.

Rg

Doubles Shooter

« Reply #131 on: May 19, 2021, 09:51 AM »
It looks like we have eggs in the nest. I've been stuck in the hospital that last 4 days with some heart problems and haven't been able to guard against sparrows. My wife thought she saw one on the nest box yesterday. I had her peek today to see what kind of nesting material was in it. She carefully opened it and saw that female hunkered down there. She closed it and backed off. I'm hoping to be released today or tomorrow so I can guard it.

Perch-Pirate

« Reply #132 on: May 19, 2021, 11:29 AM »
I hope you feel better Doubles...take it easy when you get out. A nice comfy spot in the shade with a pellet gun watching over the nesting area!!!

Doubles Shooter

« Reply #133 on: May 19, 2021, 03:30 PM »
I hope you feel better Doubles...take it easy when you get out. A nice comfy spot in the shade with a pellet gun watching over the nesting area!!!
That is the plan, however it will be a bit longer. I went in for atrial fibrillation which they fixed, but tests today have me scheduled for quadruple bypass next week. Still plan on guard duty when I get out. Thanks for the thoughts. Bob

Bartman44

« Reply #134 on: May 20, 2021, 04:53 AM »
What type of house is he using?
The Petersen style I built this year foiled the sparrows completely. We’ve yet to find our chicks in the trees, but mom and pop have been running back and forth to the tree tops feeding them.hard to spot them.

Rg

Honestly don't know one from the other. The pictured boxes came with my son's house when he bought it.  I'm sure he'd be willing to upgrade the box so I'll do some research on the Peterson style. Thanks.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.