FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: NY Fisherman Hunting and BS'n Thread  (Read 336931 times)

Doubles Shooter

Re: NY Fisherman Hunting and BS'n Thread
« Reply #1515 on: Nov 30, 2020, 02:02 PM »
Bluebird day yesterday.....still some Roosters around!

SeanP

Nice job. I can't remember the last time I shot a bird. Miss it.

KingPerch

« Reply #1516 on: Dec 01, 2020, 07:29 PM »
Good work Sean! Been a few years since I last hunted those birds. Did a lot of it when I was younger.
“I’ve never met a Perch I didn’t like!! 😎

Time spent fishing is not deducted from one’s life span

Pequod1

« Reply #1517 on: Dec 02, 2020, 11:25 AM »
Read over the deer management plan. Interesting possible changes. 1/2 hour before sunrise start and 1/2 hour after sunset end. "Holiday season" between Christmas and new years. Heres the one I don't get - September gun hunt for deer in southern zone in select DMU's.  Nothing about crossbow. So, guns in September are being discussed but crossbows are not?

old man river

« Reply #1518 on: Dec 02, 2020, 02:52 PM »
where can this plan be found to read is there a link?
ralph

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
« Reply #1519 on: Dec 02, 2020, 06:00 PM »
just my opinion ... i think we  are  starting to over  hunt  a  bit ......a  sept  season in the  south  then  keep it open to jan ???? hell half the  southern der  weigh   50 pounds  in  sept  and  some   still need  mama  ... i  thought  oct  1st  state  wide  was  really pushing it
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

scout57

« Reply #1520 on: Dec 02, 2020, 06:10 PM »
just my opinion ... i think we  are  starting to over  hunt  a  bit ......a  sept  season in the  south  then  keep it open to jan ???? hell half the  southern der  weigh   50 pounds  in  sept  and  some   still need  mama  ... i  thought  oct  1st  state  wide  was  really pushing it
I agree Trap

O

« Reply #1521 on: Dec 02, 2020, 06:13 PM »

reeleyz

« Reply #1522 on: Dec 02, 2020, 06:59 PM »
It seems like they can’t get people to shoot enough deer to meet their quota. Adding on more seasons probably won’t make much if any difference in the deer take.

Doubles Shooter

« Reply #1523 on: Dec 03, 2020, 06:02 AM »
I think it would be more effective if the DEC could work with land owners to find a way to open more land to hunting than to have longer seasons. Hunting access is a big problem for many.

joefish1

« Reply #1524 on: Dec 03, 2020, 07:14 AM »
  Good call Trapper and access to places to hunt would be nice for some folks.

reeleyz

« Reply #1525 on: Dec 03, 2020, 06:10 PM »
It’s been an up and down first 2 weeks of SZ gun season for me.

Last Monday I hit this buck. It was 110 yard shot. I tracked it Monday afternoon and Tuesday as far as I could with very little blood and no beds. 3 days later the neighbor found the buck. He had gone 3/4 of a mile. I hit him very low just behind the front shoulder and must have done just enough damage to kill him eventually.

I was not able to salvage any meat. I notched my tag on him. I was very disappointed in myself.

2 nights ago I was able to harvest this doe. Much closer shot right through the heart.

Doubles Shooter

« Reply #1526 on: Dec 03, 2020, 06:51 PM »

Last Monday I hit this buck. It was 110 yard shot. I tracked it Monday afternoon and Tuesday as far as I could with very little blood and no beds. 3 days later the neighbor found the buck. He had gone 3/4 of a mile. I hit him very low just behind the front shoulder and must have done just enough damage to kill him eventually.

I was not able to salvage any meat. I notched my tag on him. I was very disappointed in myself.

2 nights ago I was able to harvest this doe. Much closer shot right through the heart.

That's a bummer with the buck. At least you know what happened to him and you have a nice rack. And some fine eating.

jperch

« Reply #1527 on: Dec 03, 2020, 07:21 PM »

Sorry about the buck Reeleyz, it can happen.  Kudos to you for punching your buck tag, many would not do that.  And congratulations on the doe, I hope to find one soon.

hunts2long

• Sacandaga
« Reply #1528 on: Dec 04, 2020, 04:25 AM »
That was a nice buck. You did the right thing.  Congrats on the doe...h2l

filetandrelease

« Reply #1529 on: Dec 04, 2020, 05:25 AM »
That was a nice buck. You did the right thing.  Congrats on the doe...h2l
X2

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor