FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: West Branch / Penobscott River ***UPDATE***  (Read 6556 times)

woodchip1

Re: West Branch / Penobscott River
« Reply #15 on: Jul 10, 2019, 07:40 AM »
ON the banks of West Branch .( it goes bank of the west brings home the best)

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #16 on: Jul 10, 2019, 08:43 AM »
9 huskies thats funny!

Turnbuckle - I have to throw some spoons and try to land a fish on that before I can switch over to the fly rod. Any recommendation for colors? I will be up there next weekend (July 19-21. Is the big eddy deep and are these fish sitting on the bottom? Any info would be great, PM me if need be.
Wicked Wec

Turnbuckle

« Reply #17 on: Jul 10, 2019, 10:18 AM »
9 huskies thats funny!

Turnbuckle - I have to throw some spoons and try to land a fish on that before I can switch over to the fly rod. Any recommendation for colors? I will be up there next weekend (July 19-21. Is the big eddy deep and are these fish sitting on the bottom? Any info would be great, PM me if need be.

Fish lay on the bottom, but move for dry flies closer to dark. Tan and dark(black) caddis. For nymphs focus on green ones and maybe some streamers in the morning. Fish the slower water.

I’m not much of a spin fisherman, so no advice to give.
At the mouth of the river at Sebago in the Spring, it's East to West unless you want a beating from the rest! ;D ;D

9huskies

« Reply #18 on: Jul 10, 2019, 06:49 PM »
9 huskies thats funny!

It was a little scary until I realized it was a fish. The fish on that river don't seem spooked by rafts. If you're wading or splashing they scatter.

woodchip1

« Reply #19 on: Jul 10, 2019, 07:06 PM »
The one reason I stopped fishing the upper west branch was all the rafts coming by.  Peace and quite and wildlife are what I enjoy not noisy groups of rafts.

Turnbuckle

« Reply #20 on: Jul 10, 2019, 07:45 PM »
The one reason I stopped fishing the upper west branch was all the rafts coming by.  Peace and quite and wildlife are what I enjoy not noisy groups of rafts.

The best fishing up there is in the morning and late afternoon and evening and those flatties are back at base camp drinking their hipster beers and picking lice from their beards.  8)
At the mouth of the river at Sebago in the Spring, it's East to West unless you want a beating from the rest! ;D ;D

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #21 on: Jul 11, 2019, 07:57 AM »
LMAO!
Wicked Wec

woodchip1

« Reply #22 on: Jul 11, 2019, 12:17 PM »
I have seen Mayfly hatches in evenings so thick along river and in road so thick headlights did not help. a smelt out the truck window would have caught gallons.

joefishmore

« Reply #23 on: Jul 11, 2019, 06:04 PM »
Another  spot upstream  using smelt pattern

Steve H.

« Reply #24 on: Jul 12, 2019, 10:57 AM »
Big Eddy is an amazing place to be, regardless if the fish are biting or not.  If you're there during one of their epic caddis hatches the water will be boiling with salmon just before dark.  One of my favorite places in all of Maine.
It is understood that fishing licenses, gas, bait, etc., all cost money, but try not to let a limit of trout be your only gauge for success. – Ben Nugent, (NH F&G) Regional Fisheries Biologist

Steve H.

« Reply #25 on: Jul 23, 2019, 10:25 AM »
How was your trip?  Hope the info I PM'ed you helped out some.
It is understood that fishing licenses, gas, bait, etc., all cost money, but try not to let a limit of trout be your only gauge for success. – Ben Nugent, (NH F&G) Regional Fisheries Biologist

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
Re: West Branch / Penobscott River ***UPDATE***
« Reply #26 on: Jul 24, 2019, 09:19 AM »
Well I am back and what an amazing place it is! Fishing was pretty slow for salmon due to the heat but I still managed well over 20. Lots of 10" fish but a few larger ones were also caught, lots were missed on the surface bite. The scenery is just absolutely breath taking! Steve, Caddis were key, they did not want anything else at all. White/tan caddis outproduced all other colors (black, olive, black/tan). I did manage 2 salmon and a few small brookies on a tan emerger with a pheasant tail as the point and only 2 on a spoon. water flows were up and down as well so the bite was all over the place. Drift boats were not an issue, there were fish all over the place, even rising 5 feet from me. I also fished in Millinocket for smallmouth and that was a blast as well. Here are some photos from the trip. Thanks to everyone who helped me out! Enjoy!

Wicked Wec

Jethro

• I fish, therefore I am... always buying gear
« Reply #27 on: Jul 24, 2019, 02:47 PM »
Nice photos, who's the photographer? They did well!

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #28 on: Jul 24, 2019, 02:55 PM »
Nice photos, who's the photographer? They did well!

My buddy Eddy took all of these so thumbs up to him. I have 1 photo that is worth a magazine cover so I am holding onto that for now. LOL
Wicked Wec

TightLinesMaine

« Reply #29 on: Jul 24, 2019, 04:21 PM »
Looks like fun

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.