FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Smoking Bullheads  (Read 8117 times)

kerosenecounty17

Smoking Bullheads
« on: Apr 14, 2008, 11:30 AM »
First off, please no on-liners about how hard they are to keep lit.  Now for my question:

I've never smoked any kind of fish in my life.  Several people have told me that smoked bullhead are really good and I really like fishing them, so I want to give it a try.  I inhereted a really nice, barely used electric smoker from my Grandpa when he passed.  I basically need everything.  How do I brine them (in what)?  How long do I leave them in the brine?  How long do I smoke them?  How do I know when they're done but not over-done?  What type of wood chips should I use?  Thanks for any help guys and gals.

kc17

BlueDuck

Re: Smoking Bullheads
« Reply #1 on: Apr 14, 2008, 06:03 PM »
Bullheads are great smoked.  This is how I do it.  ....   I just cut the head off right at the fins.  Cut off the top fin (spike) and leave the skin on.  Take the guts out and wash.   Brine in  one cup sugar and one cup non iodized salt to 2 gal. of water.   8 hours or overnight.   
I smoke with hickory chips.  It will depend on the type of smoker you use and how hot it gets, as to how long it will take.  Also outside temperature can make a difference.    A typical electric smoker that gets from 130 to 150 degrees will probably take from 6 to 8 hours.  Test to see if they are done by tasting.   Bullheads are a little stockier and thicker than a lot of fish and may take longer to get done in the center.   When they are done the skin peals like paper.    Good luck.......

kerosenecounty17

Re: Smoking Bullheads
« Reply #2 on: Apr 17, 2008, 09:37 PM »
Thanks Blueduck.  That's just what I was looking for.  Two quick questions.  Have you ever tried any variations on the brine besides the salt/sugar mix?  I was thinking of maybe adding brown sugar.  Second, do you just remove the heads?  I'd like to remove all the fins and tail to save room on the smoker racks.  I don't think this should make any difference, do you?

Thanks again,

kc17

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.