FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Helix 7 SI Gen2 vs Gen3  (Read 1764 times)

bassin212

Helix 7 SI Gen2 vs Gen3
« on: Aug 29, 2019, 08:14 AM »
Hi Everyone,

just looking to get people's opinions if they use the unit. Originally I was going to get the Helix 5 but since I want side imaging it seems as though the 5 inch screen would be too small. So I'm looking at the Helix 7 SI Gen2 and love the price point and is right what I wanted to spend on a unit. Is the extra $150 or so bucks worth it for the Gen 3? I'm not in need of a networking unit. Just chart plotter and maps.

thanks for any insight.

lowaccord66

Re: Helix 7 SI Gen2 vs Gen3
« Reply #1 on: Aug 30, 2019, 11:02 PM »
Hated side imaging.  The learning curve to interpret what you see on the side imagining is a steep one.  Switched to Garmin.  Never looked back.  Even an echomap 550 without side imaging beats those units in my opinion...and the 550 is pretty basic. 

bassin212

« Reply #2 on: Aug 31, 2019, 10:19 AM »
good to know, I really was looking forward to have down imaging. Looks like it's only worth it if you're willing to spend the money? Which Helix did you have? What Generation?

Mac Attack

« Reply #3 on: Aug 31, 2019, 11:01 AM »
Hated side imaging.  The learning curve to interpret what you see on the side imagining is a steep one.  Switched to Garmin.  Never looked back.  Even an echomap 550 without side imaging beats those units in my opinion...and the 550 is pretty basic.

I agree.
I have been watching YouTube videos for over a year trying to learn what I’m looking at.  Stopped at the Garmin and Lowrance booths at trade shows and had them try to show me.
I’m old and stupid.
Maybe just too many years looking at 2D screens.
I also don’t think the 3D will benefit me much here trolling on Erie and Ontario.
But I was thinking it might be better when I retire and move to Florida in a couple years.  I’ll be fishing back bays and canals in much shallower waters down there.

Dunno!

taxid

« Reply #4 on: Aug 31, 2019, 12:53 PM »
I have a Hummingbird Hellix 7 and about ready to give it away. Too many GD bells and whistles and I can't figure out how to do some simple things.The down imaging is not as crisp as in the advertisements either.  The cone is so narrow it doesn't always pick up my downrigger balls that are set up on the port and starboard sides a little ways up from the rear.  (About where the oarlocks would be.)

“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

lowaccord66

« Reply #5 on: Sep 01, 2019, 01:01 PM »
good to know, I really was looking forward to have down imaging. Looks like it's only worth it if you're willing to spend the money? Which Helix did you have? What Generation?

I don't think I remember which generation it was.  Tried it when it first came out and my buddies boat had 3 of the later generation ones for a while.  Now all garmin. 

Mac panoptix and bonefish, permit and stuff like that will be a dream...although I hear the site fishing down there will be insane.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.