FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: "Crick Fishin"  (Read 5948 times)

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
"Crick Fishin"
« on: Jul 20, 2009, 05:39 AM »
When I was a kid I could spend all day wandering the local "crick" in search of anything that swims. I guess I'm still a kid at heart. I have a stream in town that's mostly overlooked by fishermen....thank heavens!  Once again, yesterday, I went to the stream to toss some spinners. It's simple fishing at it's best. I prowled the pools and flows and caught  fish all day.

The best was one long pool with some nice large rocks and a good flow. I landed several nice smallies, rockies, bluegills and a few fat largemouth. It seemed unusual to have those nice largemouth in the stream...but they were there. Some came on spinners, rooster tails, but the biggest came skidding live crayfish across the top of the pool. What a riot to have a 2lb largemouth bust the surface and gulp in a crayfish.

"Crick Fishin' "...makes you feel 10 years old again ;D

RG
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

pooley

• Never Forget!!!!
Re: "Crick Fishin"
« Reply #1 on: Jul 20, 2009, 08:08 AM »
i haven't done any 'Crick Fishin' lately. i guess i'll have to try it again. definitely fun!

take a kid fishing!official b-breaker of N.Y.R.C.

fish_finder

« Reply #2 on: Jul 20, 2009, 11:37 AM »
I know what ya mean, you dont always have to be out in the boat chasing big fish, almost have more fun in your backyard with a rod and a couple spinners, i had a blast the other night when i just went down to the peir not foar from my house with just a rod with a hair jig , caught some sunnies and perch and a surprise smallmouth that gave me some battle on a little 5 foot panfish rod!
Fishing isn't a hobby it's an addiction

Stuck-on-Seven

« Reply #3 on: Jul 20, 2009, 02:09 PM »
Me and my cuz were doing this about 5 years ago nothing big in this creek all we caught were chubs and suckers but they can be fun to catch in numbers....we kept the smaller ones and used em for bait in the pond for bass afterwards.

prchslyr

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #4 on: Jul 20, 2009, 03:11 PM »
There's a creek that flows through an afluent neck of the woods near my home. But in the woods enough to not see or hear the roads. It has a self sustained native brookie population. There are all kinds of rich milf's that walk there dogs near it and plenty of 4 wheeler trails. I have never seen anyone fishing it. A couple men have asked me if there are actually fish in there. I tell them, " The fishin's great! I got me 3 chubs over 10" last year. An I ate 'em all mahself." They roll there eyes and walked away telling the milfs, "Let's go." I put a hurting on the place in my youngers years with my unlces. One of which moved a few hours away and the other is straight up whipped. And I gave the place a few years off. And I still have it all to myself. Now I peddle my bike down twice a year with a back pack and two piece ultralight for a good snack of 10-12" brookies. I can jump across most of it. And there are a couple holes that I have to either lay on my stomach under the brush or hold onto a tree with one hand and pitch with the other. When my two lil prchlyr's are old enough to handle it, I'll tell them and they'll be sworn to secrecy. This place "Is" my childhood, and I always fell like a kid when I'm fishing it. I know the feeling RG. And I love it. Excellent thread. I'm going to hit the place again the next time I get out now. Thanks RG.
The angle of the dangle is directly proportionate to the heat of the beat.

Madpuppy

• HOWASAPA
« Reply #5 on: Jul 20, 2009, 03:42 PM »
My son in law and I fish a crick off of the Elkhorn River here in Nebraska, we catch a lot of Channel Cat. Nothing huge usually 3-4 lbs, we fish off an old iron trussed country bridge. Might be a car every 4 hours so it's nice and quiet. Like you said RG it brings the simple times back, like not caring what time it is. Well for that matter back then we did'nt care what month it was :laugh:
I'D RATHER BE HATED FOR WHO I AM,
THAN LOVED FOR WHO I'M NOT.

rainbowrunner

« Reply #6 on: Jul 20, 2009, 03:57 PM »
I too grew up fishing a small creek and my mother taught me the first poem I ever memorized.  " Fishy, fishy in the brook, papa catch you on the hook.  Mama fry you in the pan.  Baby eat you like a man."  I think I was about four.  That was a long time ago.  Thanks for bringing back that memory.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #7 on: Jul 20, 2009, 06:21 PM »
A word about swimming in the crick...(sorry Kevin, I thumbed the wrong button)

I have a pair of Columbia wading pants that I wear stream fishing. They're perfect...zip off legs and a mesh liner like a swim suit. When I take a dip to cool off, however, I strip down and enjoy the cool waters.

I've only been embarrassed once, but it taught me to keep a look out. I stripped and was soaking in the crick and around the bend came the canoes with several equally embarrassed paddlers. A wave and a red face and they went snickering on their way. :-[

RG
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

1fish@atime

« Reply #8 on: Jul 20, 2009, 06:33 PM »
Darn good thread RG! Made me think of a time when I was about 12 and my mom and dad went to Florida on vacation.
My Grandmother stayed with me, and along about mid week she decided to cook the frozen pizza for me.(yes we had freezers back then, but the pizzas were a newbie.) She didn't take the cardboard off it and smoked up the whole house. I remember her crying, she had ruined dinner. I said be back in a few, flew on my Cheetah slick up to thirteenth brook and caught six native brookies. All about 10-12" and fat. I started a fire out in the fireplace and rolled them in foil with butter and onion, with a few washed potatoes. When all cooked I served her a dinner fit for a king, so she said. She told my mom and dad I took care of her all week, pulled some venison out for the next night and cooked some up for her. Makes me yearn for a simpler time when things didn't have to entertain you all day, like we expect now. Thanks RG!!!

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #9 on: Jul 20, 2009, 06:40 PM »

I remember helping gramps dig worms in the garden then following through the woods to Sprout Creek.  But to me and my little brother we were always going to the Crick to watch gramps catch trout for dinner.  Good memories.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

niagarajiggin

• Keep Your Rods Bent !!
« Reply #10 on: Jul 20, 2009, 07:22 PM »
great thread !!  :clapping:

I was supposed to do some "organized" fishing yesterday....which means it was planned with some other people for a certain time and place. Instead, I had some things to take care of and missed the schedule. I decided to venture around some local "crick" spots that I did when I was a kid with just my pole and a handful of jigs (cuz that's all I could afford back then....or sneak from Dad's tackle box without him noticing  ;D).

What a blast...caught piles of rockies and smallies for a couple hours....just hitting spot to spot....certainly made me reminisce a little....I even remember some of the smells and sounds around certain areas.....

thanks for trip down memory lane RG - sure reminds me of simpler times of just getting out there without a care in the world....
Keep Your Rods Bent !!!           
NYFOA Member
Master Forest Owner

Issiah

« Reply #11 on: Jul 20, 2009, 07:26 PM »
I think You've tapped into the essence of fishing with this thread.  I grew up fishin on the "crick". When family is around, we always refer to that little stream  as the "Crick". It was actually much more than fishing for me; I grew up along side the banks of the crick. It's very much a part of who I am...  Great thread RG!

prchslyr

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #12 on: Jul 20, 2009, 08:14 PM »
It would be cool if we could elect a thread of the year. And or post of the year. This one would definitely get some votes. I'm going to have to try RG's version of a dip. I'd be a little scared of the water being too cold and one of the milf's bouncing down the bank at an inopportune time.
Another very fond memory of mine is the pocketfisherman. My great gram showed me how to fish with one. She started it all for me when I was old enough to walk (according to my mom). I remember using it with her during my earliest memories of her and my earliest memories of fishing. She always told me how proud my great grandpa would have been to see me fish the way I do. She also told me he saw every fish. Despite me never meeting him. Now she sees every fish my boys and I catch. I would now give anything to stumble upon an old pocketfisherman at a garage sale. This is a first for me on a forum and it's Rg's fault. This thread needs a new title. Let's keep it going guy's.
The angle of the dangle is directly proportionate to the heat of the beat.

Issiah

Madpuppy

• HOWASAPA
« Reply #14 on: Jul 21, 2009, 06:48 AM »
Bunch of listings on ebay

http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksid=p3907.m38.l1313&_nkw=Pocket+Fisherman&_sacat=See-All-Categories
I've got 2 Pocket Fisherman poles, the one is the old school version I bought at a flea market and the other I just bought last year at our local Pamida store for $13. They still produce them and the price is right! I will bust out the pocket fisherman on occasion to impress my fishing buddies ;D It's another piece of my childhood I enjoy remembering.
I'D RATHER BE HATED FOR WHO I AM,
THAN LOVED FOR WHO I'M NOT.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.