FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: #$% fireline!!  (Read 12579 times)

brokenline

#$% fireline!!
« on: Aug 24, 2009, 10:52 AM »
i just picked up some 14lb fireline and decided to go carpin. i see one take my $9 floating rapala set the hook then snap it breaks, i use polamar knots, 6lb drag it breask usually 6" above the knot even just by casting some times.. its not me its the line.. i have 10 lb on a nother rod and could wihp it like  afly rod witha  1lb wight on it and it wouldnt break grrr!
still waiting on free willy

PIKE FISHERMAN

• Precision Angling on Youtube. Maine based fishing.
Re: #$% fireline!!
« Reply #1 on: Aug 24, 2009, 12:14 PM »
I had the same problem when I first started using the stuff... I changed my knot and was golden!!!

The line is super strong and zero stretch,  and can pull most knots on a strong hook set.
Precision Angling on Youtube. Maine based bass, pike, fly fishing, brook fishing, trolling and ice fishing. Hope to see you on the water somewhere!!

Cthulhu

« Reply #2 on: Aug 24, 2009, 12:33 PM »
I think ya jinxed yourself "brokenline"  ;) :P ;D

PIKE FISHERMAN

« Reply #3 on: Aug 24, 2009, 12:37 PM »
haha, i didn't catch that!!!!!
Precision Angling on Youtube. Maine based bass, pike, fly fishing, brook fishing, trolling and ice fishing. Hope to see you on the water somewhere!!

BBK

« Reply #4 on: Aug 24, 2009, 02:34 PM »
Maybe you shouldnt set the hook so hard. Braid has NO stretch, so when you jerk hard it will snap every time. 14lb is very light for snagging. And buy a snagging hook.. they are like $2.

brokenline

« Reply #5 on: Aug 24, 2009, 05:36 PM »
when i first put the stuff on it would break casting now it only breaks when i have expinsive stuff on.. i ususally just give the rod a pull and the carp freak out and set in their own mouths..  the knot is not breaking its the line like a foot up form the lure..

KingPerch

« Reply #6 on: Aug 24, 2009, 05:58 PM »
brokenline, you got brokenline, get rid of that fireline!!!!--Kp
“I’ve never met a Perch I didn’t like!! 😎

Time spent fishing is not deducted from one’s life span

BBK

« Reply #7 on: Aug 24, 2009, 05:58 PM »
Its from the shockwave. When you cast there is a whip action which causes a shockwave to go through your line, mono will stretch and not break but braid will break. Same goes for your hook set. The key with braid is to use a SMOOTH reel and to make a nice and smooth casts, no sudden stops or jerks. Step it up to 20lb and you wont have any more problems. I use 50lb and 65lb and it works perfectly.

mealworm

• snoogan
« Reply #8 on: Aug 24, 2009, 06:39 PM »
i'v had the same problem as you, casting or setting the hook and even when jigging through the ice i don't know how many lures and fish i'v lost on that stuff, makes a good leader but i don't use it on my reels any more

Stuck-on-Seven

« Reply #9 on: Aug 24, 2009, 06:46 PM »
ive never had a problem with it ive been using 6lb fireline this year and ive caught nice bass and pike on it with no breaks......i refuse to use anything besides fireline and spiderwire

PIKE FISHERMAN

« Reply #10 on: Aug 24, 2009, 06:56 PM »
ive never had a problem with it ive been using 6lb fireline this year and ive caught nice bass and pike on it with no breaks......i refuse to use anything besides fireline and spiderwire
It shocks me the ammount of problems that people have with it. Ive had the same line on my reels for 2 years, and only broke 3 times. Both spinning and bait casters. I've caught hundreds of bass, and multiple pike over 10 lbs with it. I use 14lb on my spinning, and 20lb on my baitcasters, and am basically trouble free. As of now, i'll nver use any other type of line.

brokenline

« Reply #11 on: Aug 24, 2009, 07:06 PM »
keep in mind this is fireline fused crystal.. i can get a snag and yank as hard as i want before the anchor pulls snap the rod back in forth till the snag comes out but when ever i get a fish over 10 lbs it breaks on me..

Stuck-on-Seven

« Reply #12 on: Aug 24, 2009, 07:25 PM »
keep in mind this is fireline fused crystal.. i can get a snag and yank as hard as i want before the anchor pulls snap the rod back in forth till the snag comes out but when ever i get a fish over 10 lbs it breaks on me..
i wonder if thats the stuff im using is it white? now that i think about it my 6lb may even be fireline thats made for icefishing ahaha.....oh well if it aint broke dont fix it in my case.....do you wet your knots? also maybe you just have a bad batch?

Stuck-on-Seven

« Reply #13 on: Aug 24, 2009, 07:28 PM »
http://www.thornebros.com/winter/line/berkley_firelineice.html

thats what i have on one of my rods the ice crystal its white and its awesome IMO

PIKE FISHERMAN

« Reply #14 on: Aug 24, 2009, 07:29 PM »
 but when ever i get a fish over 10 lbs it breaks on me..
[/quote]
Draaaaaaaaaaag ;D ;D ;D.. If its too tight, its a no stretch line and will eventually break. Its not like mono that has some give/stretch to it.  

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.