FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: #$% fireline!!  (Read 12579 times)

BBK

Re: #$% fireline!!
« Reply #15 on: Aug 24, 2009, 07:42 PM »
I think its funny when people think that since they put braid on that they dont need drag anymore. They seem to think they are fishing with steel cable or something. You also want the drag to go off a little on hard hooksets or the line will break. Something has to give and its either going to be the line or your rod.

tom1234505

• 17 years old
« Reply #16 on: Aug 24, 2009, 08:23 PM »
well I have had problems with Berkley Trilene XL line and sensation line, so I think they may just be using bad material. No problems with Stren! ;D
<br /><br />

nypike

• Where da fish at?
« Reply #17 on: Aug 24, 2009, 09:07 PM »
Fireline for me tried and true....been using it for about 6 years, zero problems. I use 30lb test 8lb diameter on all my pike rods and 20lb test 6lb diameter on bass rods.  set your drag right, use the right knot (palomar), make sure you wet the line before you cinch it.

pikie

« Reply #18 on: Aug 25, 2009, 06:39 AM »
Another problem you might be having is line fraying.  Fireline requires smooth nylon eye guides.  If you have one missing and its just metal, then that could do it.  Check your line for little ticks and cuts.  Also check your reel roller (I'm assuming a spinning reel...but might be wrong).  So check anything on your rod/reel the line comes in contact with, any damage will really tear up the fireline.  I've been using fireline, for a long time, but only for certain fishing situations.  Pretty much I only use it when fishing in deep water when 0 stretch is necessary (try to feel a northern pick up a jig 60 ft down, and how ever far away with mono...).  For almost all other applications I still use mono or florocarbon.  Hope this helps

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #19 on: Aug 25, 2009, 06:51 AM »

I use 14lb fire line on 2 top water rods,ones 6 1/2 ft the other is 7 1/2 ft both med heavy action, I can whip a 4 inch Zara Spook a long ways.
    I like a long cast using fire line and top waters. It seams the further away from the lure  I am when I get a strike the more hook ups I get.
    Never had a break off..

Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

floatinwoody

« Reply #20 on: Aug 25, 2009, 07:00 AM »
Power Pro for me..Not one issue in 2 years..

wnybassman

• The Real "No Good"
« Reply #21 on: Aug 25, 2009, 07:11 AM »
Another problem you might be having is line fraying.  Fireline requires smooth nylon eye guides.  If you have one missing and its just metal, then that could do it.  Check your line for little ticks and cuts.  Also check your reel roller (I'm assuming a spinning reel...but might be wrong).  So check anything on your rod/reel the line comes in contact with, any damage will really tear up the fireline.  I've been using fireline, for a long time, but only for certain fishing situations.  Pretty much I only use it when fishing in deep water when 0 stretch is necessary (try to feel a northern pick up a jig 60 ft down, and how ever far away with mono...).  For almost all other applications I still use mono or florocarbon.  Hope this helps

I think he is on to something.  Always breaking between 6 and 12 inches from lure?  That's about where the line is when making casts.  My guess is tip guide.

khaaxma

« Reply #22 on: Aug 25, 2009, 07:25 AM »
I've used Fireline since it first came on the market and it has worked extremely well for me. I have caught many fish in excess of 20 lbs. with it and breakage is never a problem. I've had fish absolutely destroy lures, but the line is still attached. I believe that there is a problem, but I find it hard to believe that it is the Fireline.
I am blessed to live in a location where the fishing is great and the people are nice!

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #23 on: Aug 25, 2009, 07:30 AM »

It could just be a bad spool of line.  Had a spool of fluorocarbon last year that had a weak spot every 6 ft.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
« Reply #24 on: Aug 25, 2009, 07:39 AM »
 WHEN YOU HAVE BRAIDED  SNAPPING LIKE THAT 99% OF THE TIME  YOU HAVE  A  BURR IN A GUIDE OR ON THE BAIL  YOU  FRAY THAT STUFF AND  IT SNAPS EVERYTIME  WETHER IT'S  FIRELINE OR  POWER PRO! I HAVE ALSO SEEN BAD  SPOOLS OF IT  SO IT IT  BREAKS A FEW  TIMES  SPOOL IT BACK  AND TAKE IT BACK! FOR THE COST  DEMAND IT'S RIGHT.... I USE  IT WORMING AND  SALT WATER FISHING AND  I RAM THAT HOOK HOME!  THE BEND IN THE  ROD  SHOULD TAKE CARE  OF THE NO STRECH PROBLEM ;D  RUN A  Q TIP THREW YOUR GUIDES  SEE IT A  BURR PULLS ON THE  COTTON .....
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #25 on: Aug 25, 2009, 09:08 AM »

Had it stuck in the trees along shore and pulled the boat to land. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

engineman

• Keep your worm wigglin!!
« Reply #26 on: Aug 25, 2009, 03:32 PM »
I use the 15 lb round fireline and absolutely love it! Last winter though, I used the flat crap and had nothing but problems with it. Never go flat again!! The round ties a great knot, takes the lickin and keeps on tickin!! I fish rocks, weeds, flats and all kinds of structure. No problem with the round. Mind you, the pro bass hook sets have to change a bit...lol. Good luck with it, after you get used  to good fireline you'll never go back to mono.

BBK

« Reply #27 on: Aug 25, 2009, 04:20 PM »
I use the 15 lb round fireline and absolutely love it! Last winter though, I used the flat crap and had nothing but problems with it. Never go flat again!! The round ties a great knot, takes the lickin and keeps on tickin!! I fish rocks, weeds, flats and all kinds of structure. No problem with the round. Mind you, the pro bass hook sets have to change a bit...lol. Good luck with it, after you get used  to good fireline you'll never go back to mono.

That last statement is totaly bogus. I can name a bunch of reasons you would want mono (our flouro) over braid.

1: Topwater baits (to keep the bait on the surface, braid sinks)
2: Crankbaits( to get maximum depth out of cranks, braid resists water which makes baits ride up higher in the water column)
3: Fishing clear water (braid is visible)
4: Slip bobber fishing (braid doesn't slip through the bobbers very well)
5: Throwing light lures (braid will dig into itself and make casting light lures very difficult)

PIKE FISHERMAN

• Precision Angling on Youtube. Maine based fishing.
« Reply #28 on: Aug 25, 2009, 06:16 PM »
That last statement is totaly bogus. I can name a bunch of reasons you would want mono (our flouro) over braid.

1: Topwater baits (to keep the bait on the surface, braid sinks)
2: Crankbaits( to get maximum depth out of cranks, braid resists water which makes baits ride up higher in the water column)
3: Fishing clear water (braid is visible)
4: Slip bobber fishing (braid doesn't slip through the bobbers very well)
5: Throwing light lures (braid will dig into itself and make casting light lures very difficult)
I too will NEVER go back to mono!!!!
I use fireline for topwater and never have it drag the lure down.
I get the same results with cranks baits, and can hit the same depth marks with fireline.
I use fireline and slip bobbers all the time with zero problems.
I use light rapalas and feel fireline casts better than mono due to no memory.

Sorry to disagree with ya, but I can cast twice as far with fireline, and get a great hook set from further distances.. No more feeling like I have to reel in 40-50' to get a solid hook set

Everyone needs different lines for different applications....
Precision Angling on Youtube. Maine based bass, pike, fly fishing, brook fishing, trolling and ice fishing. Hope to see you on the water somewhere!!

Madpuppy

• HOWASAPA
« Reply #29 on: Aug 25, 2009, 06:20 PM »
I'm with Pike.
I'D RATHER BE HATED FOR WHO I AM,
THAN LOVED FOR WHO I'M NOT.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.