FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Bad Fish!!  (Read 3832 times)

Skiff

• Retired MFF Mod
  • Just relaxin' on the Red
Re: Bad Fish!!
« Reply #15 on: Aug 28, 2004, 04:19 PM »
Here is a graphic on the human-derived or anthropogenic sources of mercury in the US in 1994-1995.  I've forgotten where I got it, so I can't give attribution.  As you can see, there is a large number of sources where mercury can arise and pollute local waters, or even areas some distance downwind of a smoke-stack's plume.  With methylating bacteria to convert inorganic mercury in a lake to an easily assimilated organic form that will bio-concentrate up the food chain, it's easy to see why some of the top predators have concentrations that could cause fetal or nerve damage in the ultimate predators - you and me.  Cider has good advice, start cleaning up by ourselves, teach our kids to be environmentally friendly, and push for cleaner, not looser environmental standards.  It may cost a little bit more for that oil change, or the watts used in your household lighting, but we've got to start now!

PS - The "other" sources amount includes mercury released from dental fillings when cremation occurs, but it is only about 1 ton per year.

billditrite

• Retired MFF Mod
  • R.I.P. brother Micheal Danis 10/10/54 - 4/3/09
« Reply #16 on: Aug 28, 2004, 04:48 PM »
interesting chart phil. my favorite stiped bass river has a municipal waste incinerator right at the beginning of tidal water  >:( i dont eat them often not nearly what they say you can safely consume,but it is very sad  :(
Scotty 

perchfisher

• waitin' for a bite
« Reply #17 on: Aug 28, 2004, 09:41 PM »
around here some lakes have them. there is just a certain amount that u should eat to be safe . it is lower for women and children.
-cole

wigen

« Reply #18 on: Jun 01, 2005, 10:11 PM »
Come to Central New York and ask about the fishing on Onondaga Lake. The reaction you get will either be that of pure disgust, or a look of confusion. "Why would you ever want to fish there?" is probably the reaction you'd get. This lake is literally the most polluted lake in the country. The city of Syracuse used to dump all of their sewage into the lake. Now, the mercury levels, as well as levels of other pollutants, are insane. This lake is so toxic that the water doesn't even freeze unless it's incredibly cold. And even then it's only a very thin surface layer. The bottom of the lake is a layer of thick sludge. Big surprise that the fish in here grow VERY big. The NYSDEC as stocked 8 lb. + largemouths here to do studies on the effects of toxins on the growth of mature fish. The pike and walleyes in here are huge as well. And some of the carp I've seen are unreal. Big surprise, swimming around sucking food off the bottom of this lake. With all that sewage, I'll bet that carp fishing with corn is great!  ;D You are adviced to eat absolutly no fish from here. Go online and type in Onondaga Lake in a search engine and you'll see what I mean.

-Zach
corn does work well in onondaga lake for carp, brother is a biologist and works onondaga lake almost everyday, and you wouldn't believe the fish they electroshock. seen some huge pike, tiger musky, walleye(many of which were tagged in oneida), they get the occasional trout, not to mention bass. as it stands the water in onondaga is relativlely clean except after storms when ecoli becomes a problem. the contaminants are in the bottom of the lake, the reason it doesnt freeze on the south shore is because the discharge from the treatment plant. i dont recommend eating fish from there, but if your a sportfisherman you have to give it a try. last july we caught 125 bass in 6 hrs fishing, and most came from the south end by the discharge. one hotspot is the west shore on the wastebeds, find the drop off and you will be in smallmouth heaven. good luck

FishDaddy09

« Reply #19 on: Jun 04, 2005, 11:26 AM »
I have read that a least some of the mercury come from battries that people discard in the lake. The article that I read said that there was enough mercury in one "D" cell battery to pollute an entire lake.

MikeThePike

• Any signs of ice yet?
« Reply #20 on: Jun 04, 2005, 12:23 PM »
I have read that a least some of the mercury come from battries that people discard in the lake. The article that I read said that there was enough mercury in one "D" cell battery to pollute an entire lake.

What size lake though? Obviously a single D cell battery won't contiminate a lake that is 1000s of acres but just how big of a lake can it pollute I wonder?
Chasing them pigs with fins!

AK isn't coming soon enough....can't wait to fight with 1 grizzly for 100,000 fish instead of 1,000 snaggers for 10.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.