FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: trolling motor moved batteries up front adding extention wires  (Read 3390 times)

charlys1954

Re: trolling motor moved batteries up front adding extention wires
« Reply #15 on: Jul 31, 2019, 01:04 AM »

When sizing extension wires remember your calculations are for round trip, not just one direction....most  trolling motor calculations are for a max % 5 voltage drops at max amp draw.

According to Minn Kota when adding extension its a one way trip. I am thinking they are the experts and when their chart says when adding a extention up to 15ft use 8 gauge wire, that is what a person is supposed to use. Extending the distance from TM to battery 15 ft according to Minn Kota you do not figure 2x15 for 30 ft.

From what you say if you add a 15ft extension you figure 2x15 for 30ft. That is what you are saying isn't it?
I'm a "Born in Ind" Redneck and proud of it

Roccus

« Reply #16 on: Jul 31, 2019, 08:43 AM »
According to Minn Kota when adding extension its a one way trip. I am thinking they are the experts and when their chart says when adding a extention up to 15ft use 8 gauge wire, that is what a person is supposed to use. Extending the distance from TM to battery 15 ft according to Minn Kota you do not figure 2x15 for 30 ft.

From what you say if you add a 15ft extension you figure 2x15 for 30ft. That is what you are saying isn't it?
TOTAL CONDUCTER LENGTH... that's the way it's measured and the way it has always been measured, re read your installation instructions...you also need over current protection in the form of circuit breaker of fuse , but if you think about it in a logical manner it will make sense, the most common electrical problems in a boat all begin with undersized conductors and improper termination.. ...as well as a total misunderstanding of rules and principles that apply.. do it your way... good luck.

icejohn

• God, Family.......Fishing.
« Reply #17 on: Jul 31, 2019, 09:17 PM »
Dielectric grease is a surface protector and not electrically conductive. It's generally silicone based, clear and less messy than No-ox. No-ox is electrically conductive and can be used within connections. It never really dries and looks similar to anti seize products.

But, whatever works for you.

Rg

X2 on all RG'S posts am electrician too and the dielectric grease on all my connections....crimp...lighting and battery
take a kid hunting and fishing, it's a lot better than leaving them on the streets!!

charlys1954

« Reply #18 on: Aug 01, 2019, 12:40 AM »
TOTAL CONDUCTER LENGTH... that's the way it's measured and the way it has always been measured, re read your installation instructions...you also need over current protection in the form of circuit breaker of fuse , but if you think about it in a logical manner it will make sense, the most common electrical problems in a boat all begin with undersized conductors and improper termination.. ...as well as a total misunderstanding of rules and principles that apply.. do it your way... good luck.

I'm far from being a electricial I was just going by what Minn Kota instructions said to do. Here's a link to their battery extension wire rigging (https://www.minnkotamotors.com/support/compatibility/battery-selection-and-rigging).  Can you show me where it says round trip when adding an extension, I don't see it anywhere.

It does say this  at the bottom.
Wire Extension Length refers to the distance from the batteries to the trolling motor leads.

I'm a "Born in Ind" Redneck and proud of it

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #19 on: Aug 02, 2019, 05:04 PM »
Actually, the negative or ground has a negligible effect on total amperage loss. I can give you the formulae, but it's kind of over thinking something simple.

What you have planned will work just fine.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.