FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: My son's first steelie  (Read 2847 times)

Boomer

My son's first steelie
« on: Oct 14, 2014, 07:22 AM »
Went to Michigan City Friday night. Fished off the pier. Nothing for five + hours of fishing. Only a few people out. Did see a yacht beach itself - missed the harbor entrance. (Could not believe it myself!)

Went back early Sunday with my son. I was throwing spoons and he was fishing shrimp.  I caught a nice 6.5 steelie. It must have hit the spoon as it fluttered down because we saw a fish surface right where I threw then next thing I new I was in for a fight. 

Son hooked a nice steelie and it jumped several times, once it was almost eye level with us - classic looking picture from a magazine type of jump.  He fought it well but it broke off. Got re-rigged and set out again. Soon he was into a nice steelie. Fought it for some time with several jumps and long runs. Finally he got it to the pier and I netted it. On his scale it was 9 lbs even and measured 32 inches. He had fought several in the past but this was his first to be landed!

He caught another 6+ pounder and I ended the day with another 3 pounder. Only fish we saw hooked up was ours. IDNR Creel Clerk said it was slim pickings on the pier lately. Said that the salmon run is probably over for the most part. Glad we got what we did.

Got pics on the phone but only have a flip phone. Can anyone pm me and post his pic?

Boomer

stinkybaits

Re: My son's first steelie
« Reply #1 on: Oct 14, 2014, 07:46 AM »
Awesome time! Yacht beaching would have been a hilarious sight.

vexologist

« Reply #2 on: Oct 14, 2014, 10:07 AM »
Nice report Boomer! Just quick question..Were the steelies that you and your son hooked up with winter run steel or drop back skams? THX

northrn-duck-assassin

« Reply #3 on: Oct 14, 2014, 12:23 PM »
I wouldnt say the fall run is over... With all the rains we have had this year, every creek is plump full, and them fish are way inland, farther than most would think, especially compared to the last few years.. just an fyi!
its more than catching food, its also catching a piece of mind and integrity within

Boomer

« Reply #4 on: Oct 14, 2014, 02:42 PM »
Nice report Boomer! Just quick question..Were the steelies that you and your son hooked up with winter run steel or drop back skams? THX

The creel clerk said the two I caught were Michigan strain and the two my son caught were Skamania strain.

One of the Skams had its right pectoral fin clipped. Anyone know who is clipping?

MC_angler

« Reply #5 on: Oct 14, 2014, 04:44 PM »
right pectoral clip is likely a michigan-strain steelhead, stocked by Michigan DNR. they stocked some RP clipped steelhead in the Galien and the St. Joe, so probably a stray

vexologist

« Reply #6 on: Oct 16, 2014, 08:41 PM »
right pectoral clip is likely a michigan-strain steelhead, stocked by Michigan DNR. they stocked some RP clipped steelhead in the Galien and the St. Joe, so probably a stray

Cool man.. Can't wait for the winter run to show up!!!..I know this is off-topic but hoping MC angler can direct me in the right direction, I got two adipose fin clipped King heads in my freezer, how would I go about delivering them to DNR? Thx

FishKing83

• ROLL TIDE - FISH ON!
« Reply #7 on: Oct 16, 2014, 09:24 PM »
Vex if you get ahold of the DNR I'm sure they will direct you to the closest spot to drop the head off at.  I know that the DNR has a freezer at the fish cleaning station at Shamrock Park in Berrien Springs for dropping off fish heads.  I've also seen the freezers at the fish cleaning stations in Ludington.  I would think that a majority of places that have public fish cleaning stations for salmon/trout would have a freezer to throw the heads in.  Hope this helps.
ROLL TIDE - FISH ON!

crappiehunter

« Reply #8 on: Oct 20, 2014, 11:09 AM »
Here's the pic, nice fish!

Crappie, Bass, Gills, Eyes, Pike, anything that swims!!

Boomer

« Reply #9 on: Oct 21, 2014, 07:53 AM »
Thanks crappie hunter for the post. He sure liked seeing his pic on MFF.

Felix

• Myfishfinder Sponsor
  • R.I.P. Janurary 16, 2015
« Reply #10 on: Oct 21, 2014, 11:49 AM »
I wouldnt say the fall run is over... With all the rains we have had this year, every creek is plump full, and them fish are way inland, farther than most would think, especially compared to the last few years.. just an fyi!

Many fish being caught in mid  and upper reaches of "creeks".

They may be up farther that usual but still have much fight left in em......
Politicians and diapers need to be changed for the same reason

High Flags

« Reply #11 on: Oct 21, 2014, 09:28 PM »
Congrats !!   Nice Fish!!

MC_angler

« Reply #12 on: Oct 22, 2014, 07:28 AM »
Cool man.. Can't wait for the winter run to show up!!!..I know this is off-topic but hoping MC angler can direct me in the right direction, I got two adipose fin clipped King heads in my freezer, how would I go about delivering them to DNR? Thx

if you live in Indiana, you can take them to the Indiana Lake Michigan Fisheries Research Station in Michigan City. 100 W. Water Street. Tell them when and where you caught them and they'll take care of the rest

vexologist

« Reply #13 on: Oct 24, 2014, 06:33 PM »
if you live in Indiana, you can take them to the Indiana Lake Michigan Fisheries Research Station in Michigan City. 100 W. Water Street. Tell them when and where you caught them and they'll take care of the rest

Thx MC! Brian B. took care of me today.

chicagill34

« Reply #14 on: Oct 24, 2014, 08:03 PM »
Nice One!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.