FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: FROGS  (Read 3647 times)

abishop

FROGS
« on: Aug 09, 2009, 02:50 PM »
Does anyone hunt frogs? I went once and got my 25 limit using bird shot. 30 years ago, at a private pond. DELICIOUS. Would like to go again. When is the season? And is there still a 25 limit. Does anyone gig for them at night with a high beam. Never tried this way, but, if one had a good spot I would be READY. What is everyones opinion?

BBK

Re: FROGS
« Reply #1 on: Aug 09, 2009, 03:13 PM »
Its illegal to shoot them with a shot gun in Iowa, Might want to check your regulations again.

Giging or fishing for them is much easier and you don't wake up the neighbors. Just take a size 2 gold hook and dangle it in front of their nose while the other guy gigs it. If he bites the hook you can catch him that way.

abishop

« Reply #2 on: Aug 09, 2009, 03:29 PM »
The bird shot I used was a .22 cal. I was told it was legal in Indiana. The laws may of changed thru the years. Plus I started out catching them with a fly on long pole. They caught on quickly, so, changed to different ways. it was a private pond and the owner gave me the gun with bird shot to use. MUCH EASIER.

camocrazy82

• Watch EM'! Watch EM'! GET EM'!
« Reply #3 on: Aug 09, 2009, 03:34 PM »
Yes, A .22 loaded with birdshot is the only lega firearm for hunting frogs. A pellet gun would be quiter though.

niagarajiggin

• Keep Your Rods Bent !!
« Reply #4 on: Aug 09, 2009, 03:46 PM »
I use my light action rod and soft top water baits with upturned double hooks. They go crazy after the top water stuff....I limit out at a couple swamps I go to several times a year. Lotsa fun and yummy too...
Keep Your Rods Bent !!!           
NYFOA Member
Master Forest Owner

northrn-duck-assassin

« Reply #5 on: Aug 09, 2009, 07:07 PM »
both the pellet gun and the 22 are legal for frogs in indiana. if you have private stuff in city limits check with local ordinances. i also just use the fishing pole with a number 4 hook and peice os soft plastic worm on it then stun em off the ground and gig em. been out twice in the last 5 days have 60 some frogs legs to eat up. season is open from july of 09 till april of 2010. if you use a 22 cal u can only use bird shot anything else is illegal. not as fun as catchin them with hook and pole though! my opinion.
its more than catching food, its also catching a piece of mind and integrity within

Bailbuster

« Reply #6 on: Aug 09, 2009, 07:21 PM »
We use a hook with red yarn.hard to find a big frog up here .BB

camocrazy82

• Watch EM'! Watch EM'! GET EM'!
« Reply #7 on: Aug 09, 2009, 08:32 PM »
How big of a frog do you need and give some recipes please!

princecraft

« Reply #8 on: Aug 09, 2009, 08:48 PM »
I have hunted bull frogs in various ways.  I have fished for them.  I have gigged for them.  I have waded for them and caught them by hand.  But by far the best way to get them is to hunt them at night in a jon boat with a bright light and catch them with your hands.  It takes 2 people.  In my case we used a 10 ft. jon boat.  One guy rowed, he would have a head light on.  The other guy was up front in the jon boat with a high beam light.  Just shine the light on the frog and that would freeze the frog.  Then just row up to the frog with the high beam on him and catch him with your hand.  As far as I am concerned, this is the only way to get them. 

FishDaddy09

« Reply #9 on: Aug 10, 2009, 08:10 AM »
I've never tried this myself but i've had other guys tell me they use a fly rod with about a foot of line out and dangle a fly in front of the frog. The frog takes the fly and you take the frog.

BBK

« Reply #10 on: Aug 10, 2009, 11:19 AM »
I've never tried this myself but i've had other guys tell me they use a fly rod with about a foot of line out and dangle a fly in front of the frog. The frog takes the fly and you take the frog.

That sounds like a good way to break the tip off your flyrod.

Boomer

« Reply #11 on: Aug 10, 2009, 02:29 PM »
We use to fry them up but instead of having frog legs we cleaned them out fully. We ate the front legs; back/belly; back legs. Great eating. Weapon of our choice was the bow and arrow. Shoot them with a fishing arrow attached to a line. Shoot frog and pass it down the line. Get to 25 and pass the bow to next shooter. Repeat. Clean. Eat.

northrn-duck-assassin

« Reply #12 on: Aug 12, 2009, 12:10 AM »
just got home from giggin...got 42 down at the creek behind my buddies house in demotte there! man are they some big boys too.
its more than catching food, its also catching a piece of mind and integrity within

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.