FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Narragansett in late August  (Read 4512 times)

Steve H.

Narragansett in late August
« on: Jan 03, 2020, 12:51 PM »
Wife and I have rented a cottage for the last week in August.  Never fished in RI before but was hoping to tow down my 15' Lund (30 hp tiller) and maybe fish some of the bays and inlets that are nearby.  Are there any spots worth trying within a half-hour or so of that location?  I definitely don't want to get into trouble out in the bay or off Pt Judith, but hoping to find someplace quiet.
It is understood that fishing licenses, gas, bait, etc., all cost money, but try not to let a limit of trout be your only gauge for success. – Ben Nugent, (NH F&G) Regional Fisheries Biologist

Bartman44

Re: Narragansett in late August
« Reply #1 on: Jan 05, 2020, 08:11 AM »
You have a few options Steve.

There's a good public launch in Galilee and you can fish from there back into Pt Judith Pond, just follow the channels and you should be fine.

Also, there's an unimproved launch in Quonochontaug Pond at the end of West Beach Rd and you can fish back in the pond.   

Keep in mind that you are in prime tourist season and the launches fill up quickly, especially on weekends. I've often had to parkmy car on Galilee Escape Rd and walk a quarter mile back to the launch. Lots of boat traffic during the day so early is better for fishing.   

Not sure if you are into clams but grab a temporary permit on line, a clam rake at a local shop and hit the sand bars at low tide and have at it.   

Have fun, nice area,
Bart

Steve H.

« Reply #2 on: Jan 06, 2020, 06:59 AM »
Thanks, Bart.  That's some great information.  Really appreciate your input.

Our cottage is a short walk to the launch at the end of S. Pier Rd.  But I'm concerned that puts me in pretty open water for such a small boat.  I guess I'll need to keep a an eye on conditions and get out very early when I do.  Otherwise I'll check out what you suggested in Galilee. 

Thanks again....Steve
It is understood that fishing licenses, gas, bait, etc., all cost money, but try not to let a limit of trout be your only gauge for success. – Ben Nugent, (NH F&G) Regional Fisheries Biologist

Bartman44

« Reply #3 on: Jan 06, 2020, 05:03 PM »
No problem. Point Judith Pond isn't that scary so long as you head north away from the fleet and the gauntlet leading to  the harbor of refuge. Lots of boat wakes and a good tide makes it interesting. Take a look on Google Maps and you can see the 2 channels and bar in the middle as you head north. Just follow those channels back and there are stripers there all summer.   

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #4 on: Jan 09, 2020, 09:43 AM »
The info Bartman gave you is spot on but I would approach this a bit differently with your boat. Instead of putting in at Point Judith or the southern side of RI, drive north to the ramp on Flat Fish Alley Rd in North Kingstown. From there, you can venture out of Wickford harbor if the ocean is flat and get into scup, tautog, fluke, seabass, striped bass and bluefish. Pretty much all of our species that time of year. I fish RI 3-5x a week and I think this would be your best bet. I would say it also depends on what species you intend to target.
Wicked Wec

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #5 on: Jan 09, 2020, 09:52 AM »
Shoot me a PM with some info and maybe you can join me on one of my adventures. August can be epic and the freezer can be filled in a 3 hour trip.

Wicked Wec

Steve H.

« Reply #6 on: Jan 09, 2020, 03:42 PM »
Thanks Sharps!  That's mighty generous of you to offer and I'd love to take you up on it.  With the fishing/species, I'm mostly interested in stripers and possibly bonito if they're available near shore (albies come later, I understand).  I mostly fly fish but throw spinning gear too and bottom fish if I thought I'd have a shot at fluke, tog, etc.  Basically happy doing anything, but throwing a clouser on the 8-wt to mid-20" stripers is my favorite.  I also plan to wade the beaches when and where I can (early mornings).

Bartman44

« Reply #7 on: Jan 09, 2020, 05:07 PM »
That's good info for me also Sharps, thanks,  and good eats there too.

Steve, I have some good shore striper spots for the fly rod, I'll send you some.

Bart

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #8 on: Jan 10, 2020, 11:05 AM »
There you go Steve. Bart will hook you up with shore spots and I am sure they are the same ones I could offer.

For Bonito, they may be around but that really will depend on conditions, water temps, and bait flow. Either way, there is always something in our waters. Bones do make some awesome sushi!

Wicked Wec

Steve H.

« Reply #9 on: Jan 13, 2020, 08:48 AM »
Thanks again, guys!  Already looking forward to it. 

Steve H.

« Reply #10 on: Jun 24, 2020, 12:43 PM »
Due to the covid thing, my wife and I have decided to cancel our rental for August.  Really sucks but we don't want to come down and risk having restrictions and closures.  Hoping that there's not a resurgence and the reopening can continue as best it can, but we've decided not to take the chance.

Thanks again everyone for your information and willingness to help me out.

Take care....Steve H.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.