FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: My 2013 open water season.  (Read 9502 times)

gundogwanted

Re: My 2013 open water season.
« Reply #15 on: Aug 22, 2013, 03:58 AM »
Water Wolf, great stuff!! I've really enjoyed your posts and they have to be by far, one of the most interesting threads I have seen in a long time.  Enjoy the rest of your summer and hope to see more of it soon.
Equal Billing: Crankbait degrees; Typically, the narrower the bill, the tighter the wiggle; the wider the bill, the wider the wobble.

Water Wolf

• BE YOURSELF - everyone else is taken.
« Reply #16 on: Aug 29, 2013, 02:28 AM »
Thanks gundogwanted.
Glad that you like the posts.
Good luck to you for the rest of your open water season. :)

Hi All,
Here is my fishing reports for the rest of Aug.

Aug 9th I'm at my usual spot on Fishing Lake.
On this evening I am joined by my uncle and we shore fish from 7:15pm - 8:10pm.

The calm evening waters and temps are close to normal for this time of year. There is some algae in the water but it's a bit clearer than before.
It seem that the big thick bloom moves with the prevailing winds of the day.

We both catch fish.
My uncle catches 2 pike and I catch 2 pike and 2  walleye. As usual all the fish go back.
I would have taken a few photo of the catch, but the camera's batteries were out of juice.

Aug 11th. I am back at fishing lake once again, but, for the first time this season, decided to try some fishing out of a boat.
I launch at 9:16am and fish until 1:05pm have a quick snack and hit the water again from 1:50pm - 4:00pm.

It was another nice lake day with hot temps of + 26 deg C / 78.8 F range, just a light wind creating small ripples on the water, and,at times a flat calm mirror.

Most of the waves came from other boats and water craft on the lake.

The water was again very algae filled and I could hardly see the rocks right by the shore.

This green water didn't bother the fish at all, and in 5 min of being in the water I had my first fish.
This respectable walleye.

During the time I was out, the fish were quite active with 17 walleye and 2 pike being caught.
I also noticed that the fish were active on the surface and even on that bright sunny day fish were jumping off and on all afternoon.
The fish were a not bad size with most of the walleye averaging 2 -2.5 lbs and a few of the bigger ones in the 3 lb range. The 2 pike were small at the 1.5 lb range.

Here are a few more of them.

A sample of the bigger walleyes.

On this trip they went for spoons, like the FX spoon and a PK flutter fish and the Storm Wildeye swimbaits, but the most consistent lure that day was the Storm Rattle Tot.

On Aug 13th I'm fishing off the shore once again.

I went from 9:30am to 1:05pm.  It was another nice day with calm waters and hot temps, +25 deg C / 77 F.

The water had cleared a bit from the last time out and I could see the bottom off shore again.

There were no others out fishing and I had the whole area to myself.

During the time I fished I caught 5 pike and 1 walleye.
The fish were not too fussy and I caught 1 fish on each of the lures I threw to them.

The pike were a bit bigger today at about 2.5 - 3lbs and the walleye were 1.5 to 2 lbs.

First fish.

2 others.

Not a bad way to spend a few hours.

Aug 18th, I fished from 1:10pm - 4:40pm off shore.
This afternoon was a warm one with temps in the +28deg C / 82.4 F.  The humidex made it more like 33 deg / 91.4 F. The sky was big beautiful and bright.

The wind was light from the S, producing small waves and a much needed breeze.  The water still had a fair amount of algae in it.

The fish were active and the fishing was good despite the weather.  I saw several boats catching, and I was able to net 2 pike and 10 walleye.  4 other pike and 1 walleye managed to throw the barbless hooks.

It seemed that soft plastic minnow imitations were what the fish wanted that day and again the Storm wildeye and wildeye live were good producers for me.

Here are a few fish from the day.
First fish was the bigger one.

It was a 27.5" pike.

The others.

It's a fish eat fish world.
]
This one thought he got a little pike, instead it got this soft plastic version.

In conclusion, it was another productive trip out to the lake, and, like usual, they all went back to fight another day.

Here are my last couple fishing reports for the month of Aug, they take place on the 24th & 25th.

On the 24th I got to the lake a bit later in the day so set up for some evening shore fishing and see what would happen.
The temp was still quite warm, with mostly sunny skies and a medium wind from the NW creating some fair waves.

The water still has a green color to it, but, not quite as algae filled as it has been.

I fished from 4:14pm to 8:05 pm {dark}. I would have fished longer, but the mosquitoes got nasty around then. :P

The fish seemed to be quite active, and, while I fished, I could see them jumping out of the water here and there the whole time.

The fish were so aggressive that night that I had 3 strike the lures as I was lifting them from the water.
One fish actually came a few inches right out of the water and grabbed the spoon a bit above the waters surface. :w00t:
That was one of the 3 jumpers that I hooked, the others gave a few head shakes and threw the lure right back at me, thanks to the barbless hooks. 
No matter how many times you see that it's always wild to see a fish blow up, especially just a few feet right in-front of you, right at your rod tip.

The first fish.

A few of the other fish.

Big fish of the evening, it wasn't  too long, but fairly chunky.

In the end I caught 12 pike and 9 walleye. :)

Later on in the night I done a little night fishing for roughly 20 min.
The lake that night was mostly calm with just slight ripples on the water.  It was bright enough to see around with the moon light reflecting off the water's surface.
The fish were sill jumping.  I could hear splashes here and there.  I tried throwing my the lure in the direction of the splashes in the hopes it would find a hungry fish.
It seemed to have worked, and, a few min before I quit, I had a solid hit. I though that it would be a walleye, being night and all, but this fish didn't fight like a walleye it felt more like a pike.
As it turned out that's exactly what it was, a lean mean night pike. It was a bit of a suprize for me.  I happily accepted it, as this is only my 3rd pike that I have ever caught at night. The other 2 were during the ice fishing seasons a few years ago. The conditions were similar all 3 times with a bright moon shining down over head. I guess that's all the light the pike need to still hunt.

The night pike. :w00t:

It seems to look surprized, probably due to a white flash of light in the dark, out of no where,lol. :laugh:

The very next day {the 25th} I was back at the lake and on the water early for a full day of fishing, this time with the boat.

I started fishing at 9:35am and went to 5:00PM. I even brought a snack with me so I didn't have to come in + a fair amount of drinking water as it was going to be a hot one.
As it turned out it was indeed hot with temps above normal for this time of year, +28 deg C / 82.4 F and with the humidex it was more like +34 deg C / 93.2 F.

The sky was mostly sunny with a wind that switched 3 times that day, first the NW, then the W and it ended with a S breeze.
For the most part there were just smaller waves off and on all day.

The fish were very active again, jumping here and there throughout the day.  This was a good sight, and, it was about half an hour before I found them, but once I did, I stayed with them and they bit regularly the whole time out.
The hot day and bright sun didn't seem to bother them at all.

First fish of the day.

The average size of the walleye that day.

The big walleye of the day at 21". :)

Back it goes, along with the rest of them. ;)

The big pike of the day. 8)

It was 30.6" x 11".

In the end I had an awesome time on the water with 8 pike & 28 walleye being caught. ;D

I found them mainly by trolling, but I also caught a few still fishing and some drift jigging with the wind. That's the technique that got the big pike.

Over all I was very happy with the 2 days at the lake.  Both the shore fishing and boat fishing was still good and I am happy with the 58 fish I caught and released.
I hope I have as good luck this fall as I did this summer. :azn:

WW
Calmly Waiting For Opening Day

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #17 on: Aug 29, 2013, 11:23 AM »
Great looking fish pictures WW but I really like the baby robins...   Very cool to watch there progression... 
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

Water Wolf

« Reply #18 on: Oct 14, 2013, 08:03 PM »
Thanks  Raquettedacker. :)
Yeah, those little robins were neat to see.  They sure mature quickly. :o

Hi guys,
It's been a while since I last posted, but here are my fishing reports for the beginning of Sept. and the start of my fall fishing season. ;)

The first 2 reports are from the Sept. long weekend and are a combination of shore and boat fishing.

The first of the 2 days takes place on Sept. 1st where I do some evening shore fishing fishing from 4:40pm to 8:30pm.
This is another nice evening at the lake with just a bit of wind and clear skies.

The lake has cleared up a bit and there appears to be a bit less algae in the water with a bit clearer waters.

The fishing is not too bad and in 5 min I net the first fish, this not bad walleye. :)

The first pike of the evening.

This one is the larger fish caught.

And so end another good day of fishing.

Not quite!!! :w00t:
I also try fishing after dark for a while and catch another night pike just before I quit.

The final results are 8 pike & 7 walleye. :)

On the 2nd day I return with the boat for a bit of fishing on Labor Day where I make full day of it, fishing from 9:30am - 6:30pm.

It was a nice at the lake with temps in the + 26 deg C / 78.8 F, but with the fair wind that day made it a bit rough. When I first launch it is fairly calm, but as the day progressed it got rougher. :blink:

The strong wind did lend it's self to wind drift fishing and that's how I fished.
I would first troll into the wind, pick up a few fish, and then drift over the same spot with the wind and nail them again, once done I would repeat again.
When the wind got really strong I anchored and jigged or cast in promising looking spots. That method was also successful.

While I was fishing I noticed a sail boat. It's the first one I have seen on the lake this year.

I can see why he was out that day.  He really moved along, circling around the lake 3 or 4 time before finally coming in.

The first fish of the day, not long into the trolling.

It came on a spinner and float rig.

One of the bigger walleye of the day at 19". :)

Most of the pike were around the 2 - 2.5 lb mark.

This was an average sized pike that day, but I found the nick on it's side a bit unusual, so snapped a photo of it.

It kind of looked like it might have been snagged by a hook. :-\

There were not too many fisherman out that day, with only 2 fishing boats out while the rest were pleasure boaters.

The fish that day were going for crankbaits, soft plastics, and bottom bouncers pared up with hand tied spinner rigs. 

I had a great day of fishing landing 6 pike and 24 walleye + 4 more pike that got off. ;D
The pike tend to jump more and are able to throw the barbless hooks easier.

In the end I was happy with my fishing on this long weekend, and now look forward to what the fall fishing will bring. 8)

The next 2 reports are for Sept 7th and 8th and are back in my usual area.
One day 1 I shore fished, and on day 2 I am back in the boat.

On Sept 7th I get to the lake a bit later than usual where I shore fished from 5:30pm to 7:30pm.

It was a nice evening at the lake with mostly calm waters, cloudy skies and slightly cooler temps.

The fish seemed to be active as they were jumping off and on all over the lake and it was only 4 casts before I hook into the first one.
This pike.

These were the bigger pike and walleye that evening.

In the end I catch 4 pike & 5 walleye, not bad for an evening of shore fishing. :)

The next day {Sept.  8th}, I am back at the lake, but this time in the boat, launching at 10:35am and fishing until 5:00pm.

The weather that day was mix of some sun, but mostly cloudy with fairly calm waters and a temp at +21 deg C  / 69.8 F makes it pleasant to be out.

The lakes algal bloom appears to be starting to lessen and I notice the water is a bit clearer that it was in late Aug early Sept.

The fish were also quite active and just like the evening before, were jumping all around the lake from time to time, some of them more than half way out of the water and a couple close to the boat.

It appeared to me that I was the only one out fishing in that area of the lake the whole day and I saw only one other boat, a pleasure boater / water skier combo.

It was not long before I was on to them and I start the day with this pike.

First walleye of the day.

One of the other fish.

This walleye went for a bigger meal, a 6" swimbait.

In the end I had a fun day on the water with good fishing.
The fish were biting regularly for most of the time out. They only slowed for an hour and a half, but then started up again.

My final results were 20 walleye and 5 pike + 3 more pike and 1 walleye that shook free. :)
The walleye were a bit larger on average this time with several in the 19" to 19.5" mark.

I seemed to have better luck when I was moving as apposed to just sitting in one spot. I would troll for a while and then drift slowly back with the light wind.

This time I had luck on soft plastics and off set spinners and swimbaits, but the ones that produced the best were rattling crankbaits and hand tied spinner rigs tipped with gulp alive baits.

All the fish caught went back to fight another day. ;)

One of the interesting things I saw that day occurred when I was reeling in a walleye and had a pike following just below it all the way to the boat.
The pike was a bit bigger than the walleye, but not by much. I am not sure if it wanted the walleye, or the food item the walleye had in it's mouth.  Whatever the case, it was neat to see.
I tried to catch the pike after I let the walleye go, but no luck.

The setting sun ends another good day at the lake. :)

There are quite a few bugs in these 2 photos, not sure what exactly they were, but they were not mosquetoes, thank goodness. :P

As the sun set further, and it darkens, I could see the waxing crescent moon, Venus {the evening star} and returning Canada geese to the lake.

P.S - The fall migration is just starting up around the lake and over the 2 days I saw flock of the local Canada geese and ducks coming and going to and from the lake plus migrating flocks sandhill cranes and even a few small flocks of snow geese.

The next report is for Sept 15th and again I am at my usual spot on Fishing lake doing a bit of shore fishing where I fish from 4:40 pm to 7:30pm.

On the way to the lake I take a bit different route which takes me past a couple pens of wild boar. :w00t:

There are big ones and little ones in the same pens.

They are tough looking critters. :blink:

Once at the lake the weather that afternoon is not too bad with temps at the + 19 deg C / 66.2  F  mark, a mix of sun and cloud, and a fair wind blowing on an angle to me.
It was a bit tough to cast light lures so I went to a bit heavier weighs.

Once it got dark it got fairly cool, due to the wind and high humidity.

It was again fairly quite in my spot with no other anglers or boaters to be seen.
The fish were around but it took a while before they got going.
I got a pike in the first 3 min of fishing and then it was around half an hour before I found another and then they really turned on and when I
caught the majority of them.
It stayed like that to sunset, and then after that the fish shut off again.

In the end I was able to find 4 of these guys. :)

And 7 of them. 8)

These 2 fish were the average size that evening.

Some of the fish were hitting light and others were just pounding it. The light bitters would just swim with the lure in their mouth and all I felt was my line go slack and move towards me or off to the side. I set the hook and the fight was on. The ones that hit hard were the fish that followed the lure close to shore only to grab it with a few feet of line from my rod tip. I had a couple pike do that. Talk about close combat fishing. :w00t:

For the most part the leaves remain relativity green with only a few starting to change color.
I hope this shows that it will be a long fall ahead. ;)

Hi guys,
This next report has to deal with fishing and the outdoors, but, doesn't take place at a body of water. :w00t:

In mid Sept. I got a letter in the mail that said that I was invited to a VIP shopping event the day before the new Cabela's Canada store opens our provincial capital of SK. "Regina".
 The opening ceremonies were to happen on Thursday Sept 19th, but the sneak peak was to be on the 18th. 
I was excited to be a part of this even as I have never been asked to any thing like this before, so on that day I took the afternoon off, along with my mom for some shopping with a few hundred others chosen.

We browsed and shopped for 2 hours taking in all the new store had to offer. 
This is the 2nd Cabela's in SK. now and for the most part it is quite similar to the first in the terms of  layout, architecture and wildlife present.
It might be just me, but I think this new store might have a bit more fishing related items than the other one, will have to check back with the one in Saskatoon some time to compare the 2.,lol. ;)

I enjoyed shopping in the new Cabela's as the greeters, cashiers and floor walkers in each section were polite and helpful and seemed to know their stuff and where to find it.
They also had some mighty impressive wildlife mounts from various species here in SK., and all over North America. 8)

Outside of the of the new store. :)

Can you see me,lol. :laugh:

While I was there I purchased a new Rapala Scatter Rap minnow along with a few other lure types and spinner rig components.

There was one Item that I had never seen before. They was called "Cabela's Fisherman Series Walleye-A-Plug Bodies" and they looked like a miniature crankbait 1.5" long that you thread through your line when making a crawler, leech or minnow rig. This little crankbait type float is suppose to wiggle and give the bait an action different from the traditional spinners or plain rigs. 
You can buy the pre maid rigs and a single  or you can buy 3 in a package and make your own rigs. The 3 pack of just bodies is what i went for, as I like to experiment with different colored beads, hook types and line length and the color I picked was orange tiger.

For those of you, like me, who have not see it before, here is a link to it on the Cabela's Canada website ------> http://www.cabelas.ca/product/44872/cabelas-fisherman-series-walleye-a-plug-bodies

I don't think they will work too well from shore, as they will be too light to cast effectively, but next time I am fish from the boat will have to see how they work for me.
They look like they should work trolling for trout, perch and other panfish, along with walleye and pike.

Do any of you have any reviews, good or bad for the Cabela's fisherman series walleye - a - plug? ???

I am glad to have this new store in Regain as it will be easier for me to get to that one, then the store in Saskatoon.

I will still continue to support the smaller private tackle shops as they will need more than ever now, but it also nice to have options in were to find the exact outdoor gear a person is looking for.
I hope that all the tackle shops in the Regina area will still be able to adapt, compete and profit. :)

The last fishing report for Sept. was on the 29th were I again did a bit of shore fishing at Fishing Lake from 1:00pm - 4:40pm.

The sky that afternoon was mostly overcast with an odd sunny break and the temps that afternoon would have been nice, but there was strong winds blowing that day made things a bit chilly. The wind was really whipping the lake up with large white caps and as the afternoon went on it only got stronger.

As a results I was the only one out fishing that day and the only other anglers I saw were 2 half grown grebes that fished and bobbed in the large waves like 2 little floats.
They were not scared of me at all and we both fished together most of the afternoon. With them swimming and diving past me one way and then turning around and going back.
They seemed to always know where the schools of minnows were and came up with catches quite often.

The fishing for me was also good, despite the strong winds and on by 3 cast, I had a bite and landed the first fish of the day. :)
This pike.

An average pike that day.

First, walleye and an average for them also.

Largest pike of the day.

Largest walleye.

I would have fished longer than 4:40pm, but by then the waves were really rolling, and I had a hard time casting my lure. If I went straight into the wind it would go up on an land just a few feet and if I cast sideways into the wind the lures would be pinched into the rocks at shore. When I wend to stand from my chair the wind blew it over.  :wacko:
By then I had enough of the wind and quit, but I was happy with the fishing results on this blustery afternoon I caught and released 6 walleye and 13 pike. 8)

A shot of the lake as I was leaving. :P

On the way home I though I would take a road less traveled, and on it I came across a buffalo / bison heard.
I stopped for a few minuets and took in their sights and sounds.
They had some interesting sounds indeed, most of them made a call that could be best describes as sounding like a "burp" along with a few grunt,groans and snorts. 

Although the light was fading, I was able to snap a couple photos of them, from the safety of the vehicle,lol. :whistling:

I have a friend who raises bison and he said that you can never really trust them, or predict what they may do. :unsure:

Well that's it, all my photos from this month of Sept. :)

I am not sure what the fishing in Oct. will bring for me, but what ever it may be I will be I will be ready. ;D

WW

Water Wolf

« Reply #19 on: Oct 29, 2013, 11:48 PM »
Hi guys,

Here are my 2 shore fishin' reports for the month of Oct. The first of which took place on the 15th.
That afternoon I decided to do a bit of shore fishing on my usual spot at Fishing Lake, where I fished from 3:40pm to 7:20pm

The afternoon had above normal temps in the + 12 deg C / 53.6 F mark and would have made for a nice day at the lake, but mother nature had other ideas.
The afternoon started not too bad when I left home, but by the time I got to the lake the wind had really picked up and my spot was a churning surf, with white caps
every where and crashing waves.  It stayed like that most of the afternoon only letting up a bit just at sundown. The sky stayed mostly cloudy too.

Despite the tough fishing conditions I decided to try anyways and found the fishing to be not too bad. The bite was not a consistent than it has it been earlier in the year, but that's usually what happens there this time of year.

The wind made casting tough and like some of my other days, I put on a heavier lure and cast out not going too, far but far enough to find fish.
Good thing they were sitting close to shore, probably eating minnows and other little things stirred up by the waves.

I finally quiet a bit after dark when it really got chilly. :P

In the end I caught and released 4 walleye & 1 pike + losing another 2 walleye and pike.

Storm wildeye swimbaits were the go to baits that afternoon.
I also caught 2 walleye on the Rapala clackin' minnow just after sunset.

Here are a few photos of the fishing.

First fish of the afternoon, this walleye. :)

This one was a bit of a handful and quite chunky.

First pike.

Average sized walleye that day.

All the fish look like they are feeding up for winter.

All in all I was happy that I found anything that day and I hope the next day out will be a bit calmer. :w00t:

The 2nd report is on Oct. 26th were I went shore fishing at Fishing Lake.
On this day I was just passing by the lake, but had my rod and small tackle box with me so though I would stop and see if anything was still biting. ;)

I gave it a try from 4:30pm to 5:45, just past sunset.
It was another cloudy and windy day so I opted to try a new spot as my usual spot was once again in the wind. I moved to the sheltered side of the lake and found a promising looking area. This was a bit better and the wind was reduced by quite a bit.
The temp said + 8 deg C / 46.4 F, but is was still a bit cooler than that with wind chill.

I was again the only person out there. The only other anglers around were the young swan grebes fishing near shore & a young bald eagle circling above the lake watching for fish and wounded waterfowl.

The water was fairly clear in this area and I could see a fair ways out. 

I had a bit of a nibble on the line 10 min into the fishing and then 18 or so min into the fishing I get the first fish of the
evening a smaller pike.

I let it go and throw back to the same spot as I caught the pike and again get another hit. The hit was light, but it gave a better fight than the first fish.
This turned out to be a not bad walleye of roughly 3 - 3.5 lbs. :)

It was fat and tight as a drum, must have really been feeding.

Fifteen minuets before I quit I get another hit and again it's another walleye, a bit smaller than the other one.

This would be the last fish for me.

The fish were not hitting hard at all in the cold water, with most of the hits feeling like a light tap from a small perch, but once I felt the tap and set the hook they fought fairly well. The lure they wanted that day were Storm Wildeye swimbaits.

I hope to get out 1 or 2 times yet before the lakes in this area freeze over.
I am not sure if this will happen for me or not, but we will see what happens in Nov. :whistling:

WW

Water Wolf

« Reply #20 on: Nov 13, 2013, 02:48 PM »
Hi guys,
Well it's that time of year, my open water season is now over. I was hoping to get out one more time in Nov. but with this last series
of cold weather I won't be fishing now until safe ice.

I feel I had a good season and I am happy how it turned out.

Thanks to all of you who took a look at my posts. :)

Good luck in your new ice fishing season. :tipup:

Until then, be safe and have fun.

Water Wolf out!

WW

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #21 on: Nov 15, 2013, 07:31 PM »
Another great season WW....   Way to go..... ;D
Now lets walk on water..... 8)
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

Water Wolf

« Reply #22 on: Nov 18, 2013, 03:44 PM »
Another great season WW....   Way to go..... ;D
Now lets walk on water..... 8)

Thanks Raquettedacker. :)
I enjoyed reading your posts all season long. 8)

Now it's time for some ice fishin'.
Like Larry the cable guy would say "GIT-R-DONE",lol. ;D

WW

jt13077

« Reply #23 on: Feb 21, 2014, 03:50 PM »
Nice!

Water Wolf

« Reply #24 on: Mar 01, 2014, 03:28 PM »