FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Of Bind Pigs and acorns:  (Read 1239 times)

rivereddy

Of Bind Pigs and acorns:
« on: Sep 12, 2021, 10:53 AM »
An odd summer this...I have gone for days, sometimes a week or two without fishing and then I will make several short trips to different
locations for a few days in a row. After being "drydocked" for the better part of  12 days, my sweetie and I took the boat out to the local
resi for an afternoon's outing.  The water was a good 8 deg cooler than it had been before and my usual trolling runs for white bass didn't
produce as I had hoped.  My bomber rig gave up just one crappie about 11 inches long.  The wind began to kick up so we sought shelter
in a couple of coves, broke out the ultralights and I let dearest run it up on the small gills and dink crappies.  This gave me time to mess around with my new little sonar, a Garmin Stryker 4.  I know you guys are way beyond that level of tech, but the Stryker 4 replaced a 30 year old Lowrance X-4 that had pixels that measured 1/8" X 1/8".  (We figured fish size by the number of "dots".  A one "dotter" was no big deal. but a 6 dotter...Whoo boy.) So that's a big jump for me.  To date, I have only used the traditional mode. It will be fun to learn the other functions.

The next day, yesterday I got up at the crack of 7:00 and drove over to the local in search of smallies.  I got there early enough that
the valley was still all in shade. The river was low and trout stream clear.  I could see bottom in most places. There also were a surprising
number of floating leaves to contend with -  a hint that autumn is fast approaching.  I tied on a tiny torpedo and cast it into the shallows
on the far bank.  I must have looked away because I missed seeing the hit. I only felt the rod load. In 18" of water the bass could only
go one way - up. Several jumps followed before it sought deeper water.  Since I have not pictures, let's just say it was a nice fish, a real
nice fish.  Several casts later, another blow up hit yielded another big 'un.  In the next 90 minutes I had the best day on the river for size
in many years. Back home I celebrated with a breakfast of cheerios....

fish on,

rivereddy

regulator

Re: )f Bind Pigs and acorns:
« Reply #1 on: Sep 12, 2021, 05:56 PM »
Nice piece of penmanship, as if I was catching those bass as I read along. Ahh yes...Cheerios! Thanks for the virtual fishing trip!

Teacherpreacher

« Reply #2 on: Sep 13, 2021, 06:40 AM »
ED,
Great report!!! Love those smallies on Tiny Torpedo. Was like I was there! Will be a few weeks before I can get on the water. Heading to my cardiac rehab at 8:00 this morning. Threee times a week for 8 weeks. My muscles are like mush after lying in hospital for two weeks. But making progress. Am able to be behind the wheel once more so that is great!
Look forward to future reports!
Teach
Do all that you love, with those that you love, as often as you can.

LundProv

« Reply #3 on: Sep 13, 2021, 08:01 PM »
Always enjoy reading your reports as you enjoy this beautiful creation we have...  thanks for sharing...

Hexagenia51

Re: Of Bind Pigs and acorns:
« Reply #4 on: Sep 17, 2021, 06:50 PM »
Sounds like fun to me! Hex

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.