FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Sacandaga report ?  (Read 43974 times)

hunts2long

• Sacandaga
Re: Sacandaga report ?
« Reply #165 on: Jun 12, 2018, 05:44 AM »
Lake seems to be about two weeks behind. The cool nights have cooled the lake off. I am sure all those boats this pass weekend didn't help either. I am having to work for them but they are there. Upcoming weather change will do the trick...Good Luck...h2l

LooseEye90

« Reply #166 on: Jun 13, 2018, 09:38 AM »
Snuck out of work yesterday. Was a kinda rough morning I tell yah! Learned a bit about the SW wind and how quick that lake can change. When the winds calmed down in the early afternoon I was able to troll sticks a bit better between 1.6-2-3mph. 25-35fow.  Landed three keeper Waldo’s and a brown trout. Kept one 17” walleye for dinner and let the rest go including the trout. Had no clue there were browns in there!

I’d be interested to hear what type of bottom bouncing rigs and tactics guys use here. I’ve only used them in Canada with good results. If anyone wants to share/swap Intel drop me a pm.

hunts2long

• Sacandaga
« Reply #167 on: Jun 13, 2018, 10:47 AM »
That was a "walleye chop" yesterday. Drifted spinners during the wind. Only had one hit. Did do pretty good after it died down, with jigs. Two were 18 inches and 1 nice perch. I don't keep any as I don't eat fish...h2l

lowaccord66

« Reply #168 on: Jun 13, 2018, 12:31 PM »
Sw wind and it gets big out there quick!

LooseEye90

« Reply #169 on: Jul 24, 2018, 10:45 AM »
Brining this one back from the dead.

Fished Friday 7/20 - on water by 9 with the wife. Not walleye weather, hot sunny and still.

Fished for a few hours Edinburg and north. Super slow, tried harnesses and trolling sticks. Only landed one short Waldo and lost a nicer one. Stayed in ~30-40 fow; marked lots of fish down low and very few suspended. Fleas were noticeably fewer than a few weeks ago which I found odd. Anyone else been out?

PS- almost got clipped by a older couple in a red boat towing what I assume where their grand children. Watched the guy looking straight back at the tube with his wife. Had to stand on my cooler and wave my arms to be sure he saw us. Thankfully he turned in time. Couldn’t believe they could be so reckless, USE YOUR SPOTTER!

Tom Hannock

« Reply #170 on: Jul 24, 2018, 11:19 AM »
Limited pretty quick on walleyes the last 2 times out in the north end vertical jigging bucktails, plastics and snapraps.  Fished Sunday afternoon and even with a strong east wind the fishing was pretty good.  Dumped a couple keepers and had a couple throwbacks also.  I was finding them down in 36 ft tight to structure and last week found some in 29ft on top of a hump.   I find that the walleyes in Sacandaga seem to respond really well to jigging when they aren't necessarily interested in lures or spinner worms. 
Friends don't let friends use tipups.

lowaccord66

« Reply #171 on: Jul 24, 2018, 11:47 AM »
Hows the non fishing boat traffic?  I love the lake but avoid it due to getting jammed at broadalbin for over an hour waiting for the inept to clear the launch.  Fun to watch if your not in a rush.

LooseEye90

« Reply #172 on: Jul 24, 2018, 12:31 PM »
Nice TomHannock, I’m jealous. I have not tried jigging but have Picked them up before on accident with a jig. Can you share jig size/color? Tipped with bait? Maybe PM? I’d appreciate it.

LowAccord- I have not fished the weekend but it did get pretty busy Friday by the afternoon. I wouldn’t want touch it on a Saturday or Sunday out of Broadalbin. A few guys I know have said it’s been the typical mess.

Tom Hannock

« Reply #173 on: Jul 24, 2018, 01:59 PM »
Hows the non fishing boat traffic?  I love the lake but avoid it due to getting jammed at broadalbin for over an hour waiting for the inept to clear the launch.  Fun to watch if your not in a rush.

If it's nice weather I will only fish during the week for that very reason in the summertime.  Early morning on weekends would be fine but by late morning forget about it.  Sunday was ideal because it was raining and windy most of the morning so when I got there at 11 there was only one other truck and trailer in the lot. 

Tom Hannock

« Reply #174 on: Jul 24, 2018, 02:15 PM »
Nice TomHannock, I’m jealous. I have not tried jigging but have Picked them up before on accident with a jig. Can you share jig size/color? Tipped with bait? Maybe PM? I’d appreciate it.

Nothing fancy on jigs.  I tie my own bucktails and will use 1/4 or 3/8 depending on depth.  I like green/orange or any natural colors work fine and for plastics a 3" black or white twister tail on a 3/8 oz head is all you need.  I don't tip with anything just vertical jig with 4lb Fireline.  The big thing is just finding an area with good structure and doing a controlled drift with a drift sock or a trolling motor if it's breezy to slowly work around all those old stumps.  Plan on losing a few jigs here and there but that's part of the deal.  If you have Navionics just look for the humps, saddles and channel edges and check em out for structure and start there. 

LooseEye90

« Reply #175 on: Jul 24, 2018, 03:53 PM »
Thanks Tom Hannock! Appreciate it. Maybe we will bump into each other some time. I launch in Day and Broadalbin. If you see a Black and Tan Lund Crossover don be afraid to say hi.

Tom Hannock

« Reply #176 on: Jul 24, 2018, 04:15 PM »
Thanks Tom Hannock! Appreciate it. Maybe we will bump into each other some time. I launch in Day and Broadalbin. If you see a Black and Tan Lund Crossover don be afraid to say hi.

Hey you're welcome!!  I have a red 17ft Lund tiller with a 75 Yammy 4 stroke and launch same places mostly weekday mornings.  Maybe see you out there. 

lowaccord66

« Reply #177 on: Jul 24, 2018, 04:27 PM »
Good luck guys.  Thanks for firing the thread up.  Maybe I will make it out there this fall before the launches become unusable.

hunts2long

• Sacandaga
« Reply #178 on: Jul 24, 2018, 05:29 PM »
With the lack of rain, the lake has been going down about a foot a week. Hoping this rain will help slow it up some....h2l

LooseEye90

« Reply #179 on: Jul 24, 2018, 05:45 PM »
With the lack of rain, the lake has been going down about a foot a week. Hoping this rain will help slow it up some....h2l

Agreed. I was amazed at how short the dock at Day is getting. Was wondering if this is the right USGS for the lake or if anyone uses it?

https://waterdata.usgs.gov/ny/nwis/uv?site_no=01323500

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.