FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Pedal powered Kayak worth the money?  (Read 3335 times)

GT12

Pedal powered Kayak worth the money?
« on: Apr 01, 2018, 08:28 PM »
I would really value some feedback for the potential of a fishing kayak. I enjoy fishing my local rivers (Wabash & Miss). I'd like to be able to float them and a fishing kayak would give me more access.

Does anybody out there currently use a kayak with a pedal-powered drive? You certainly pay for the pedal access but it sure seems like they keep your hands free which means more casting. Just wondering how they work in the rivers with current and if the money is worth it. 

Thanks!

Greg

Boomer

Re: Pedal powered Kayak worth the money?
« Reply #1 on: Apr 01, 2018, 08:43 PM »
I use a kayak - not a pedal kayak. I once had a chance to pick one up. Check out the weight.Surprised me.

My big advice on any kayak - get a good life jacket that gives you freedom to paddle - and wear it.

taxid

« Reply #2 on: Apr 01, 2018, 09:46 PM »
I'm lookin at the same thing. Seems to me if you can afford it would be worth it. But like the previous poster said they are heavier. Looks like a small trailer would save your back.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

stripernut

« Reply #3 on: Apr 02, 2018, 05:59 AM »
I use a canoe a great deal, but fish with guys in kayaks and clearly, fishing peddle power is the way to go. It is as simple as; if you can control the boat at the same time you have your hands free to fish, you will catch more fish...

claymore6

« Reply #4 on: Apr 02, 2018, 06:16 AM »
I have fished with a kayak for 20 years or so. I have tried the pedal power. Great if you fish big water (regularly paddle more than a couple of miles) or plan to troll a lot. If you fish small water the paddle gives you more control and most importantly simplifies the entire experience. Set up and how you rig rod holders, etc. can make a big difference in improving your fishing more than the way you make it move. Agree on the life jacket and I have a "bicycle alert" flag I can attach for visibility if lots of high speed boats or personal water craft are operating in the area. Kayaks are difficult to see after the 3rd beer.

Hankfan24

« Reply #5 on: Apr 02, 2018, 08:09 AM »
What claymore said. Spot on.

stripernut

« Reply #6 on: Apr 02, 2018, 04:05 PM »
Set up and how you rig rod holders, etc. can make a big difference in improving your fishing more than the way you make it move.

I think that has to do more with your style of fishing... For me, I don't like trolling or rod holders, I like to have the rod in my hands when the fish strikes... That said to each their own.

taxid

« Reply #7 on: Apr 07, 2018, 04:59 PM »
I have fished with a kayak for 20 years or so. I have tried the pedal power. Great if you fish big water (regularly paddle more than a couple of miles) or plan to troll a lot. If you fish small water the paddle gives you more control and most importantly simplifies the entire experience. Set up and how you rig rod holders, etc. can make a big difference in improving your fishing more than the way you make it move. Agree on the life jacket and I have a "bicycle alert" flag I can attach for visibility if lots of high speed boats or personal water craft are operating in the area. Kayaks are difficult to see after the 3rd beer.

All true but I want to set up a small mini downrigger and think it would be easier and safer with a pedal kayak that is a little wider and heavier than the typical paddle one.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

mudchuck

« Reply #8 on: Jun 18, 2018, 06:54 AM »
I too am researching a pedal powered kayak. I have a 14' alum. boat that I'm almost always solo in and trolling in it is cumbersome.
I've been looking at the Hobie with Mirage drive, but not impressed with the feature for making the fins do a 180 to get into reverse, you have to pull a rip cord for forward or reverse, and this isn't true instant reverse since it's not hands free.
Also looking at the Native Titan 13.5, the Jackson Coosa and the Old Town Predator PDL13.
Really liking the PDL, but boy is it heavy!

Hobie P A

« Reply #9 on: Jun 18, 2018, 07:40 AM »
I have a Hobie Pro Angler. It is pedal powered. A big selling point for me was the comfort of the adjustable seat. You can adjust the back angle, the seat angle and the lumbar support . I have a bad back and I can fish 3 or 4 hours comfortably. While fishing I can pedal  or change direction without putting the rod down. it is a good match for me.

RoeBoat

« Reply #10 on: Jun 18, 2018, 11:44 AM »
Good point on the seat.  I have a cheap sit in and the next upgrade is going to be a seat.  A good seat can cost as much or more than a cheap kayak and is a very important part if you're going to spend much time in it.

jtsteel

« Reply #11 on: Jun 18, 2018, 04:07 PM »
I have the hobie 14ft pro angler. Frickin love it ! I'm 6'4" , 240# and stand up in mine and fish all the time. Mine is a 2015, and has no reverse, so I don't miss it. Always have a paddle on board anyhow, so just grab  that if I want reverse. If you do a lot of fluking or jigging for eyes, or troll tube and worm or live bait, no paddling is AWSOME! Plus I can propel, steer, and drink a beer at the same time.😎 They are heavy though. But a set of hobie tires for scuppers or a slightly modified small car trailer ( I have both)work great for 90% of what I'd do. Minimal manual lifting. Generally with the loss of weight comes some loss of stability and I'm a big guy who wanted to stand at times. Hope this helps some.......

jtsteel

« Reply #12 on: Jun 18, 2018, 04:09 PM »
And like mentioned above, the seat is incredibly comfortable.

taxid

« Reply #13 on: Jun 18, 2018, 08:29 PM »
I too am researching a pedal powered kayak. I have a 14' alum. boat that I'm almost always solo in and trolling in it is cumbersome.
I've been looking at the Hobie with Mirage drive, but not impressed with the feature for making the fins do a 180 to get into reverse, you have to pull a rip cord for forward or reverse, and this isn't true instant reverse since it's not hands free.
Also looking at the Native Titan 13.5, the Jackson Coosa and the Old Town Predator PDL13.
Really liking the PDL, but boy is it heavy!

I have a Hobie Sport with mirage drive. It's an older model so the drive doesn't have reverse but it's no big deal. I see no need for the reverse. It's just not needed whatsoever.

JJBat150

Re: Pedal powered Kayak woI have rth the money?
« Reply #14 on: Jun 18, 2018, 09:36 PM »
I have a Hobie outback with the older mirage drive - no reverse unless I pull the unit out and reverse it.

Mostly troll inland lakes with it, so no need for reverse. With the newer style seat, I can easily go 4-5 hours and still be comfortable.    When I do vertical jigging, I generally turn the rudder all the way to 1 side, and work myself in a pretty tight circle to keep the jig on the sonar without having to paddle.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.