FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: War on Walleye  (Read 3110 times)

appleye

War on Walleye
« on: May 03, 2018, 09:23 AM »
I know we have had this conversation on the Ice Shanty before but here is another article brought to light from"Target Walleye". Seens strange to talk about a fish that reproduces it's self and then talk about the amount of money it cost to stock the fish they are trying to protect. Food for thought.

http://www.powelltribune.com/news/item/17091-war-on-walleye

fish/hunt4ever

Re: War on Walleye
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2018, 08:03 PM »
Kind of nice that they feed them to the birds. Would like to make a trip up and get some for a meal one of these days. Anyone do better and certain time of the year kind of figure right now might be bad with the muddy water going in and the lake filling so fast might turn the fishing off but I guess you never know.

slamber

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2018, 09:07 AM »
This was my reply to the same thread on Ice Shanty:

In waters where a native species is imperiled I support a reasonable effort to remove invasives. However, in lakes where there are multiple invasives it's hard for me to see the logic in removing one invasive but not another. Rainbows, Browns and Laketrout may not be as hard on the native Cutthrout as walleye but they can't be entirely blameless either. Who decides that one species of invasive is desirable and not another? Why isn't the public allowed a voice in this discussion? I haven't seen a questionnaire from the game and fish asking which species of invasive I want my dollars to support. My informal polling (of fishing buddies) shows unanimous support for managing non-trout species (walleye, perch, smallmouth, northerns, etc) in more WY lakes. The state has plenty of trout that nobody wants to keep. Obviously, some of these species can flourish in WY so survival isn't an issue. Its been suggested that the biggest factor in the game and fish preference for invasive trout over other species of invasives is that they need to justify the funding for their hatcheries.

filetandrelease

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2018, 09:43 AM »

All I can say is I wish I lived closer

perkhunter

« Reply #4 on: Jun 14, 2018, 08:40 AM »
The shoshone river drainage is managed a totally wild reproducing fishery.  No money spent on stocking trout in there.  Still have totally counterproductive regs in the rivers though.  Until they address these regs seems kind of silly to spend all of this money killing walleye.  Would like to know the difference in trout predation between walleye and lake trout.  Both are non-native and predatory.  We have been told that the lake trout in yellowstone have hurt the yellowstone cutthroat populations, but in buffalo bill they are not a problem? 

Jason Stafford

« Reply #5 on: Aug 02, 2018, 04:00 PM »
Lot's of logical points here.  I think it is ridiculous that they think they will eradicate all the walleyes.

Dorado

« Reply #6 on: Aug 03, 2018, 01:36 PM »
The intention is not to eradicate every last walleye.  They are going to try and suppress the population from exploding, which would most likely happen if there is not a removal effort.......

fishinjohn

« Reply #7 on: Aug 03, 2018, 06:08 PM »
Why not just simply open up season on them for anglers.. no size limit.. no creel limit... no season dates
To me.. this whole thing seems absurd.. just my 02

seamonkey84

« Reply #8 on: Aug 03, 2018, 08:07 PM »
Why not just simply open up season on them for anglers.. no size limit.. no creel limit... no season dates
To me.. this whole thing seems absurd.. just my 02

They did. The article said that by law, all walleye caught from the reservoir must be killed immediately.
"You know when they have a fishing show on TV? They catch the fish and then let it go. They don't want to eat the fish, they just want to make it late for something." - Mitch Hedberg

fishinjohn

« Reply #9 on: Aug 03, 2018, 08:12 PM »
They did. The article said that by law, all walleye caught from the reservoir must be killed immediately.
That's what I get for not reading the article closer
Thanks

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.