FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: carp time again!  (Read 4182 times)

Fishermantim

• I go where the water takes me!
carp time again!
« on: May 28, 2018, 07:57 PM »
Hit one of my favorite spots for some carp, and lost one big smart one but did get a second less-smarter one!
Got to love when those monsters decide to run and all you can do is hold on and hope they tire before they find cover.

Unfortunately, the first one did just that and all I got was a snagged line and another feeling of loss (same thing has happened 2 other times over the past month at the same spot in the same exact scenario and same results.

I WILLGET THIS FISH EVENTUALLY!!!

Luckily I was able to get a second fish to take my bait and it didn't follow the same route.

Got to love the sight of a 2.5-3 ft. fish at the end of your line!
"God is playing to an audience that's afraid to laugh" (George Burns from "Oh, GOD")

"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!" - The Existential Blues

taxid

Re: carp time again!
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2018, 08:58 PM »
What do you estimate is the biggest carp you've caught weight wise?
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2018, 08:52 AM »
Hit one of my favorite spots for some carp, and lost one big smart one but did get a second less-smarter one!
Got to love when those monsters decide to run and all you can do is hold on and hope they tire before they find cover.

Unfortunately, the first one did just that and all I got was a snagged line and another feeling of loss (same thing has happened 2 other times over the past month at the same spot in the same exact scenario and same results.

I WILLGET THIS FISH EVENTUALLY!!!

Luckily I was able to get a second fish to take my bait and it didn't follow the same route.

Got to love the sight of a 2.5-3 ft. fish at the end of your line!

What do you use for a rod/reel/line?
Wicked Wec

ICEHOLE

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2018, 10:59 AM »

just had a great night for numbers. landed 7 missed 2. biggest 17 and change
Trout, LMB, SMB, BullHeads, Lakers, Pike, Carp

taxid

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2018, 02:40 PM »

They are fun on an ultralight. Used to fish for them in a lake out here and they can really make the drag scream! I caught one once that was about 30 pounds fishing for trout. Was sure it was a big brown until I saw the bugle mouth! She only had one eye as he was apparently speared once and got away.

Our best bait was to make dough balls out of crushed Wheaties and vanilla extract. As as probably know they have a keen sense of smell and taste
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

lowaccord66

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2018, 10:08 PM »
19lbs for me.  First one on a hair rig too.  Lost a big one last season when it ran straight into the trees.

Fishermantim

• I go where the water takes me!
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2018, 11:11 PM »
What do you estimate is the biggest carp you've caught weight wise?

from the size I gotten, I would estimate around the 20-25 lb. range.
Gotten a number 15 lb. range as well.

The one thing I hate to love about them is that they KNOW where the snags and weed beds are in their area and will head straight for them when hooked.

As for a setup, it's a 9' medium action rod with 15 lb. braid with a 2 foot section of 15-20 lb. mono with a small bait hook.
I have a small sliding weight (1/8 - 1/4 oz.) on the main line.

My bait of choice is canned corn.

The fun part is that I can catch a number of different species with the corn, so even if the carp are not present I could also get trout, sunfish, perch, emerald shiners and on 2 occasions snapping turtles!
"God is playing to an audience that's afraid to laugh" (George Burns from "Oh, GOD")

"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!" - The Existential Blues

Bass to mouth

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2018, 12:58 AM »

19+lbs saturday morning. It was number 30 on the year. Biggest this spring is a 20lb 2oz common

lowaccord66

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2018, 05:32 AM »
Thats awesome Bass to Mouth.

manitron

« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2018, 09:06 AM »

Great job Matt!

lowaccord66

« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2018, 10:53 AM »
Yes Matt too! Noce work.

Bass to mouth

« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2018, 06:40 PM »
Thanks Lowaccord. Can anyone say if they are still getting prespawn or postspawn fish?The one in my pic is prespawn. As of a week ago the spot next to Matt and I was full spawn mode. My buddy just sent me a pic of a near 20# and where he's at is shallow with a max of 15 fow so I'm assuming its a postspawn fish.

lowaccord66

« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2018, 08:07 PM »
You're welcome.  I love carp they are very tricky to fish for at times and Ive had the pleasure of fishing for them with all the fun toys. My buddy Terry os a carp addict.

Down on the CT river they were spawning in a cove where a buddy of mine was looking for pike.  It was Saturday.

ICEHOLE

« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2018, 09:09 PM »

19+lbs saturday morning. It was number 30 on the year. Biggest this spring is a 20lb 2oz common
that's a mirror carp and this is an ugly common I mistook for a mirror from friday

ICEHOLE

« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2018, 09:13 PM »
landed 2 today after work biggest was 15lbs

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.