FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Its no fluke  (Read 2201 times)

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
Its no fluke
« on: Jun 04, 2018, 02:17 PM »
Yes it is, 7 of them!

Whats not a fluke is that we caught 7 keepers yesterday and did not see any other boat pull out a single fluke in the 2 hours they crowded us. As soon as I pulled up my second keeper we had 3 boats running the same exact drift and nothing! We ran that drift 3 times and pulled out 5 keepers. Worst part is they were at least half a mile away and somehow saw us net the fish. Moved to another location and caught 2 more keepers as well as 4 shorts. Not bad for a quick trip and first trip of the year. Especially since my two biggest went 25" 5.4lbs and 24 1/2" 5.1lbs. The rest were all over 20" and FAT. Unfortunately my old man only caught 1 keeper. Quick work on the new fillet station (which is brand new this year) and off they went to the freezer and for dinner.

Now..... where is that 15lber...?

Wicked Wec

lowaccord66

Re: Its no fluke
« Reply #1 on: Jun 04, 2018, 02:34 PM »
I want in so bad.  Mike how do we extract some like that from shore?

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #2 on: Jun 04, 2018, 03:21 PM »
I want in so bad.  Mike how do we extract some like that from shore?

You need long casting gear with 20-30lb braid. Rigs make a huge difference as well which is a bonus that I tie my own and can add whatever flare I want.

However, being mobile from shore is absolutely key! Take 2 casts in an area and if no fish move on. My experience with both scuba spear fishing and fishing from a boat taught me that there are two "categories" of fluke. Loners and schoolers. 80% of the time if you catch 1 fluke there are at least 10 more holding tight. I have located schools of fluke in the hundreds before. 32 keepers a few years ago in an hour and then I expanded my circle to see just how much of the ocean floor was covered in fish, and my guess was 400 plus fish in an area 100x100 yards.

The disadvantage from shore is the tide. With a boat I can pick fishing locations by either an incoming or outgoing tide. Remember, Fluke are predators and not scavengers although they may scavenge. The first thing i would do Is pick a general area you want to fish and then look at a detailed map to find areas that may hold fish or bait. The season is still young and more and more fish should be rolling in.
Wicked Wec

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #3 on: Jun 04, 2018, 03:24 PM »
Oh, and like bass fishing with plugs and jigs and everything in between. Dont go fluke fishing with 2 rigs and 2 weights. Color does make a difference so if you are serious about it, have some variations.
Wicked Wec

elevatorman

• Finally made it on to team Lund ! 18 Sport Angler.
« Reply #4 on: Jun 04, 2018, 03:32 PM »
Nice haul sharps well done.
Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in awell preserved body; but rather to skid in side ways totally worn out shouting (holy sh*t)  WHAT A RIDE! FISH ON!.

SalmonAndStriper Stalker

• landlocked salmon,stripers,lake trout,trout,bass
« Reply #5 on: Jun 04, 2018, 07:41 PM »
Were those sea Robin's next to the pile of fluke filets. Nice batch of fish. I'm going to be fishing the bad daddy tournament this weekend in buzzards bay. Last year I was the mate on the boat that took 1st 2nd and 3rd for tautog and they also took 1st and 3rd in seabass and 3rd in scup. I'm going to fish it myself with my cousin to hopefully put our names on that leaderboards this year.

Jschumacher

• Fish often. It's a way of life. Life Member NAFC.
« Reply #6 on: Jun 04, 2018, 07:55 PM »
Nice mess of Fluke. Congrats
I fish every chance I get and enjoy every time I fish. They call it fishing not catchin

Member of The GODS

200fisher

« Reply #7 on: Jun 04, 2018, 10:15 PM »

Nice catch! I’ve been trying to get out but that east wind has been persistent. Hate to tow the boat for over an hour to fish in the fog or the snot.
“Half the people I know are below average"  -Steven Wright

stripernut

« Reply #8 on: Jun 05, 2018, 04:13 AM »
Nice going!

lowaccord66

« Reply #9 on: Jun 05, 2018, 05:35 AM »
Oh, and like bass fishing with plugs and jigs and everything in between. Dont go fluke fishing with 2 rigs and 2 weights. Color does make a difference so if you are serious about it, have some variations.

Thanks bud. 

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #10 on: Jun 05, 2018, 07:36 AM »
Thanks guys. This is only the beginning.
Wicked Wec

deerhunter

« Reply #11 on: Jun 05, 2018, 07:37 AM »
im heading out soon

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #12 on: Jun 05, 2018, 08:17 AM »
im heading out soon

Good luck! what state?
Wicked Wec

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #13 on: Jun 08, 2018, 01:24 PM »
im heading out soon

How did you do?

Round 2 for me tomorrow.
Wicked Wec

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #14 on: Jun 10, 2018, 06:58 AM »
Absolutely perfect weather yesterday. Did far better than expected and it was a full day of action. 15 keepers with the biggest at 5.3. probably 20 shorts which is more than normal this time of year but its good to see all sorts of sized fish. I took my buddy out for his bday and also got him to land a 31"  bass which is his PB. No cow but he does not chase them. some scup and tons of sea robins in the mix as well as 1 good black sea bass that had to go back.

pictures will be up shortly.
Wicked Wec

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.