FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Pedal powered Kayak worth the money?  (Read 3334 times)

boondox

Re: Pedal powered Kayak worth the money?
« Reply #15 on: Jun 19, 2018, 06:48 AM »
Not sure how much current you got??  That dictates a lot weather you needed it in those rivers..  I fish the Manistee below tippy dam in a canoe all the time..  I got a 20 foot chain I doubled up and pull from the doubled point..  this chain dragging out the back of the canoe slows it down...  I got  this from lefty little book of tips umpteen years ago.. they also show how to make rod holders in canoes etc .. any how the only reason I use a paddle is to steer me out of log jams as they approach slowly  .. if the waters deep enough and  slow then you may want it??  like that of a lake ?? but if it a medium river with medium flow then at that point why do you need it??  Might be able to look up flow rate and compare rivers on the usgs. Websites??  If wondering if it's like the Manistee in mio michigan same with au-sable and it's branches..  you don't even need the chain most of the time their that slow.. and thier shallow like 6 to 15 inches so a mirage drive don't help much I think you need 18 inches of consistency  or was it 6 inches to use the pedal power?? Any how just stuff to look into..

taxid

« Reply #16 on: Jun 19, 2018, 06:53 AM »
What the heck is a lefty little book? ;D
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

westernmas

« Reply #17 on: Jun 19, 2018, 07:59 AM »
I have a Native Slayer 13 with the the pedal drive.  I mostly use it to fish in saltwater where the stability and ability to travel distances is required.  I thoroughly enjoy the pedal drive system but don't think I would go with a Native if I did it again.  The Hobies are on average about $500-$1000 more but it comes with a lot more add-ons that at some point down the line will be nice to have on other models.

If you get any of the "stable" sit on tops, Jackson, Native, Hobie, Feel Free, Wilderness, Old Town, etc. they are on average going to weigh about 80-100lbs with the pedal drive adding on another 10-15.  Unlike Hobie, the propeller style pedal drives do not work great in any type of weeds/slop.  The weeds get wrapped around the propeller and you are stuck pulling it up and pulling off the weeds.  I'ved experienced this in both fresh and saltwater.

In my opinion the Hobies are worth the extra money but I'm not sure of all of the add-ons that other kayaks offer.  In order to outfit my Native with a fish finder I had to by a transducer arm, several ram mounts, wiring kit, and several other parts.  The Hobies have a spot designed to mount a transducer and their style of "pedal" does not get as many weeds stuck on it.  Plus the add-ons for Hobies are designed specifically for their kayaks so their is limited or no cutting into the hull to add features.

Unless you are backing right up to a boat ramp with a friend I'd also strongly recommend a carrying cart bc as mentioned these are heavy.  I recently did a tournament and had to carry my kayak about 150 feet through sand and it was brutal.  Luckily I won a Malone carrying cart!!!  If you have a car/suv, something without a bed, I'd even recommend a trailer that you can back right into the water.

I'd suggest a Jackson if you are not going to get the pedal system.  Keep in mind that many places allow you to purchase the pedal drive separately so you could see how it is and then purchase it after.
AKA-PMaloney86 on the shanty
AKA-westernm@$$hole prior to a mod change
Instagram @Patsquatch413

boondox

taxid

« Reply #19 on: Jun 19, 2018, 11:53 AM »
Ha Ha I was thinking it was political!
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

fishcrazy

« Reply #20 on: Jun 20, 2018, 06:26 PM »
Big heavy tug boats.  I fish an old town 10’ get in anywhere

taxid

« Reply #21 on: Jun 21, 2018, 07:00 AM »
My Hobie is 9 feet 6 inches. Fits inside the Saturn vue SUV if I put down the passenger seat and back seat. If it was 1 more inch long it would be too long!

boondox

« Reply #22 on: Jun 21, 2018, 05:06 PM »
the Saturn vue SUV

Last I seen was a tsb on the vue that said it had bad transmissions in them.. a tsb is a technical service bulletin. I know there roomy but just a heads up.. I am not one to usally say stuff about gm cars . Just giving you a heads up.

taxid

« Reply #23 on: Jun 22, 2018, 07:01 AM »
We've had this one since 2009 no problems. That's about the time they stopped making them.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.