FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Did you guys see this a few years ago?  (Read 2218 times)

taxid

Did you guys see this a few years ago?
« on: Jun 08, 2018, 05:18 PM »
http://www.telegram.com/article/20130730/COLUMN10/107309945

I'm not big into green carp but a 14 pound bass is big anywhere. The picture makes it look smaller but if you extrapolate the fish compared to his body length (collar bone to his crotch)  it truly does seem to be that big.

Girth has me skeptical though. Maybe a typo? Should be 20 1/4 inches instead of 30 1/4 inches?
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

bogtrotter

Re: Did you guys see this a few years ago?
« Reply #1 on: Jun 08, 2018, 09:25 PM »

. . . but if you extrapolate the fish compared to his body length (collar bone to his crotch)  . .

Fish have collar bones?  And crotches?

taxid

« Reply #2 on: Jun 08, 2018, 09:52 PM »
Fish have collar bones?  And crotches?

You're kidding right?
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

boondox

« Reply #3 on: Jun 08, 2018, 09:54 PM »
Ya not a typo I. Have cought a few small mouths in the 26 in length range but girth was around 20 to 25 depending on what is eaten... also bass in the southren states tend to be bigger then in northren states..  if you think about feeding seasons versus spawning seasons.. southren fish there longer feedin season  then in northren states.. this is  cause of water being warmer longer.. for like a month or two longer then northen fish...so they see 6 months of warm weather ware we see 3 maybe 4  as they say things are bigger in Texas..  same seems to be true  with florida.. look up there state records and compare to a few northren states  records for bass there much bigger?? Why I think it's growing time..

taxid

« Reply #4 on: Jun 08, 2018, 09:57 PM »
Ya not a typo I. Have cought a few small mouths in the 26 in length range but girth was around 20 to 25 depending on what is eaten... also bass in the southren states tend to be bigger then in northren states..  if you think about feeding seasons versus spawning seasons.. southren fish there longer feedin season  then in northren states.. this is  cause of water being warmer longer.. for like a month or two longer then northen fish...so they see 6 months of warm weather ware we see 3 maybe 4  as they say things are bigger in Texas..  same seems to be true  with florida.. look up there state records and compare to a few northren states  records for bass there much bigger?? Why I think it's growing time..

The fish was caught in Massachusetts. Hardly a southern state.

boondox

« Reply #5 on: Jun 08, 2018, 10:12 PM »
I know just throwing out stuff about fish groth..

SizeMatters

• Shut up and fish!!
« Reply #6 on: Jun 09, 2018, 06:11 AM »

I'm not big into green carp but a 14 pound bass is big anywhere. The picture makes it look smaller but if you extrapolate the fish compared to his body length (collar bone to his crotch)  it truly does seem to be that big.

Girth has me skeptical though. Maybe a typo? Should be 20 1/4 inches instead of 30 1/4 inches?
I'm with you.  I'm not sure that fisherman has a 30 inch girth much less the fish.........
Bigger isn't always better but Size definitely Matters!

Baitbucket

« Reply #7 on: Jun 09, 2018, 06:14 AM »
I'm with you.  I'm not sure that fisherman has a 30 inch girth much less the fish.........

Lol i was thinking the same. It was in gardner.. The scale probably said 1.4 and they didnt know howto read it.  :P

SalmonAndStriper Stalker

• landlocked salmon,stripers,lake trout,trout,bass
« Reply #8 on: Jun 09, 2018, 06:58 AM »
No where near 14lbs lol. Maybe like 5 :rotflol: :rotflol: :rotflol: :rotflol:

filetandrelease

« Reply #9 on: Jun 09, 2018, 07:30 AM »

Here is a 14# LGM

bobbyg

• Team HewesCraft
« Reply #10 on: Jun 09, 2018, 08:08 AM »
28 inch length with 30.4 girth would put that fish around 20+lbs... it looks more like 5-6lbs
Negative Friends Are Like Black Holes, They Will Suck The Life Out Of You.

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

taxid

« Reply #11 on: Jun 09, 2018, 08:15 AM »
I hear you guys but the thing that still makes me wonder is comparing the fish to the torso of the guy holding it, it could very well be 28 inches in length.

I'm not a big believer in the formulas to estimate weight of bass. As a taxidermist that takes in some big ones I have compared formulas to actual weights on a certified scale and they are way off at a certain point. I mean ridiculously off.

taxid

« Reply #12 on: Jun 09, 2018, 08:16 AM »
Here is a 14# LGM

Two ways a fish can weight a bunch: Short and stout or very long and medium girth.

filetandrelease

« Reply #13 on: Jun 09, 2018, 08:21 AM »

We to catch eyes in the double digits and are very deceiving , long and the stubby and fat  , like the bass pic I posted

taxid

« Reply #14 on: Jun 09, 2018, 08:25 AM »
We to catch eyes in the double digits and are very deceiving , long and the stubby and fat  , like the bass pic I posted

Yep the female walleyes from Erie with eggs can really put on the weight! Come to think of it I have a 14 pounder I need to finish.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.