FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Kayak Tourney Results  (Read 2927 times)

taxid

Re: Kayak Tourney Results
« Reply #15 on: Jun 11, 2018, 08:46 PM »
Biggest issue i ran into (other than boats) in my hobie was a following sea when landing. Other than that it was an awesome craft.

Will,

What do you mean by "Biggest issues I ran into (other than the boats) was my hobie was a following sea when landing?"
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

lowaccord66

« Reply #16 on: Jun 12, 2018, 05:26 AM »
I almost got hit by a boat in a yak fishing for stripers at night.  Despite having lights some people are oblivious.  Ironically it was my first time in a hobie.

manitron

« Reply #17 on: Jun 12, 2018, 06:02 AM »
Congratulations Pat. Well done.

westernmas

« Reply #18 on: Jun 12, 2018, 09:10 AM »
I almost got hit by a boat in a yak fishing for stripers at night.  Despite having lights some people are oblivious.  Ironically it was my first time in a hobie.

Yes, I think with navigation people don't pay attention like they should.  I had one boat speeding right toward me but luckily he changed course.
AKA-PMaloney86 on the shanty
AKA-westernm@$$hole prior to a mod change
Instagram @Patsquatch413

westernmas

« Reply #19 on: Jun 12, 2018, 09:16 AM »
Congratulations Pat. Well done.

Thanks Manny!
Instagram @Patsquatch413

Baitbucket

« Reply #20 on: Jun 12, 2018, 11:10 AM »
Will,

What do you mean by "Biggest issues I ran into (other than the boats) was my hobie was a following sea when landing?"

When you come in to land your yak at the launch and the seas (wave, wind, current etc) are going in the same direction, the arse end of peddle yaks like to kick out and turn you broadside. Which results in you getting swamped or rolled by the oncoming waves.

In this video at the 10 sec mark is a good example.

westernmas

« Reply #21 on: Jun 12, 2018, 11:28 AM »
Will I agree.  When the waves are at your back you need to be extra mindful of your rudder.  Luckily the new rudder I put on my native I can adjust the tension so I wasn't getting spun around by waves.
Instagram @Patsquatch413

Baitbucket

« Reply #22 on: Jun 12, 2018, 11:41 AM »
Will I agree.  When the waves are at your back you need to be extra mindful of your rudder.  Luckily the new rudder I put on my native I can adjust the tension so I wasn't getting spun around by waves.

I think it has to do with the design. Even with the rudder up it likes to do this. Just gotta paddle in and time your entry with the waves.

taxid

« Reply #23 on: Jun 12, 2018, 03:07 PM »

Thanks for the info!
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

lowaccord66

« Reply #24 on: Jun 13, 2018, 09:08 AM »
Yes, I think with navigation people don't pay attention like they should.  I had one boat speeding right toward me but luckily he changed course.

Especially at night where the light from the unit makes seeing things in the darkness very difficult.

As far as yak landing in surf.  Id also pay attention to where you land if its a sand beach.  If you see current running perpendicular to shore you may be in a rip current.  You dont want to get out of the yak in that...Ive stood in a few and man even knee deep they try to suck you into the ocean.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.