FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Swans  (Read 8277 times)

joefish1

WalleyeWonder

Re: Swans
« Reply #1 on: Jun 20, 2018, 05:29 AM »
I've heard of DEC doing this on other bodies of water last year. Although it's unfortunate, something's have to be done for environment balance. Being a waterfowl hunter as well I have noticed a major benefit from this on my home water. Seems as if ducks and geese show a lot more interest without the numbers of these swans. Still see plenty around. It's not like a major effort to kill off the species. Again, they are invasive! Now if they would just let us mow down the cormerants   :-\
Jiggin' Like A Fool

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
« Reply #2 on: Jun 20, 2018, 06:33 AM »
neither  swans  nor cormorants  are invasive!!!!

There are three species of swans in North America. The Trumpeter Swan (Cygnus buccinator) and Tundra Swan (C. columbianus) are indigenous, while the Mute Swan (Cygnus olor) is a Eurasian species that has been introduced and now breeds in the wild in some areas. All three are very large all-white birds. only mutes are  imported!!!!

There are six types of cormorants native to North America. The most abundant and widespread is the Double-crested Cormorant, which can be found throughout the continent in freshwater and in seawater along the coasts into Northern Quebec and up into the reaches of Alaska.

it is  now  believed  mr  cormorant  is  our  biggest  friend when it comes to the  exploding gobie population

I don't  know  where a  waterfowl  hunter would get such  inaccurate information but you really need to  check things  out before making statements like that ...only mutes  are  imported and released!

people should be a little concerened on this why are federal employees Department of Agriculture in a  boat in Oneida lake shooting   swans  in front of  the residence???
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

WalleyeWonder

« Reply #3 on: Jun 20, 2018, 07:38 AM »
I agree and understand there are multiple species and not all are invasive. But mutes did unintentionally take hold in the great lakes region. Do I think that situation could have been handled better on Oneida? Absolutely. And cormorants have had a serious impact locally. They are more dispersed in certain areas, but when entire islands are being turned into a white, acidic, waste pile, its time to take some action. Gamefish have done the biggest number on gobies after adapting them in to their diet. Not trying to go biologist on ya, believe me, just things I have noticed 
Jiggin' Like A Fool

Dug1898

« Reply #4 on: Jun 20, 2018, 10:06 AM »
That's outrageous! After the cormorant episodes here on Oneida and Lake Ontario years ago and then the kid on Webster Pond who killed a swan, you'd think these officials of the USDA and NYSDEC would have had more respect for the birds not to mention the local residents! Couldn't the DEC and the USDA have put a small team together to capture  the birds, clip their wings and take them to our ZOO or somewhere else...The Adirondacks perhaps where there is less population...Killing those birds was just uncalled for in my opinion...But, what do I know? I'm not a Government employee... :-\
There's never been a better time to Stand Up for your First and Second Ammendment Rights than right now. 
Please join the NRA. They're my political voice.

zwiggles

« Reply #5 on: Jun 20, 2018, 11:06 AM »
Mute swans are awful. They kill everything, and attack without warning. I was attacked when I was younger by one in a kayak. I was over 200yds away from the family group, but the male still came over and attacked me on my kayak.

I have Also seen them kill trumpeter swans, and Canadian geese, and their chicks in WA state.

They are invasive, they kill native flora and fauna, and they attack people for no reason. In this case I find it incredibly perplexing that there is any outrage over what they did. Seems entirely reasonable.

Dug1898

« Reply #6 on: Jun 20, 2018, 11:19 AM »
So count me as wrong... ::) I'm still outraged at the way it was handled though >:( ...
There's never been a better time to Stand Up for your First and Second Ammendment Rights than right now. 
Please join the NRA. They're my political voice.

reeleyz

« Reply #7 on: Jun 20, 2018, 11:25 AM »
It is easy to play Monday morning quarterback. These people are doing the jobs they were trained to do...

The USDA WILDLIFE SERVICE removes Canada geese and nobody says boo about it.

zwiggles

« Reply #8 on: Jun 20, 2018, 12:14 PM »
So count me as wrong... ::) I'm still outraged at the way it was handled though >:( ...

Not wrong, just a different opinion. I get why people feel it was handled “wrong”, I just don’t like mute swans one bit, and agree with RG about people just doing their job.

Rugburn

• Camp Dog
« Reply #9 on: Jun 20, 2018, 02:01 PM »
A paint ball gun discourages the waterfowl from making a shore front into "their" home. They tend not to come back, and the neighbors usually applaud.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #10 on: Jun 20, 2018, 02:55 PM »
Not wrong, just a different opinion. I get why people feel it was handled “wrong”, I just don’t like mute swans one bit, and agree with RG about people just doing their job.

Don't drag me into this one. I didn't state an opinion. If I did, one side or the other wouldn't like it anyway.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #11 on: Jun 20, 2018, 03:16 PM »
Come on RG i love your opinions... ;D
Mine is the women was trying to get to close to take a selfie for her FB and got learned a life lesson......... 8) 8)
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

lowaccord66

« Reply #12 on: Jun 20, 2018, 03:34 PM »
Come on RG i love your opinions... ;D
Mine is the women was trying to get to close to take a selfie for her FB and got learned a life lesson......... 8) 8)

I guess so.

Alphafish

« Reply #13 on: Jun 20, 2018, 03:59 PM »
It sounds like something my wife would do, trying to get a selfie....she's had some close calls with snapping turtles. Thank goodness Bridgeport isn't bear country. We see quite a few swans in Billington's Bay in the colder weather, if you want to admire them, admire them from afar and give them a wide berth....

Alphafish

« Reply #14 on: Jun 20, 2018, 04:45 PM »
Ugh, my work won't let me access the link. Well, Chittenango Bears and the occasional stray weemed young bear in the spring withstanding.....it's not THICK bear country. I've seen young'uns in the spring just north of Minoa south of the Thruway...seems to happen every few years or so.....

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.