FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Swans  (Read 8280 times)

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
Re: Swans
« Reply #15 on: Jun 20, 2018, 05:37 PM »
AF you only need one... ;)
Welcome to the site... ;D
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

jperch

« Reply #16 on: Jun 20, 2018, 06:26 PM »
I think there are hundreds of swans now on the bays of Lake Ontario.  I don't remember this being true in the past.  I don't know what environmental damage they may cause in these current numbers.  Maybe they interfere with nesting of other waterfowl.  I was told that a few years ago some of them were "retired" on Irondequoit Bay, discretely, by men in uniforms.  This was told to me by a resident of the bay, that is all I know.  jperch

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
« Reply #17 on: Jun 20, 2018, 06:43 PM »
hey who wants to go on a  baby seal hunt with me? I got a extra bat  !!!!well do it right in front of  people .....lets  get rid of the red fox population they are  invasive hey  brown trout aren't native what about the  wild  horses  on the outter banks  ....shot them too hmmmmmmm   and the list goes on and  on  ....you  don't kill a family of animals  that the locals are  feeding   right in front of them  .....whats  wrong with you people  I  posted  pictures of  a  few muskrats  and people  were going to kill me
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

scout57

« Reply #18 on: Jun 20, 2018, 06:45 PM »
It is easy to play Monday morning quarterback. These people are doing the jobs they were trained to do...

The USDA WILDLIFE SERVICE removes Canada geese and nobody says boo about it.
you are correct mister......media intervention strikes again.......usda removed 18 geese from the golf course I belong at last week and not a word mentioned......ask Tom Galisano....lol

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #19 on: Jun 20, 2018, 06:51 PM »
I think there are hundreds of swans now on the bays of Lake Ontario.  I don't remember this being true in the past.  I don't know what environmental damage they may cause in these current numbers.  Maybe they interfere with nesting of other waterfowl.  I was told that a few years ago some of them were "retired" on Irondequoit Bay, discretely, by men in uniforms.  This was told to me by a resident of the bay, that is all I know.  jperch

That's true. Several breeding pairs had taken over backwater nesting areas and had become extremely aggressive. No complaints from the residents there.

And, to make it clear....that's not an opinion!

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

trapper2000

« Reply #20 on: Jun 20, 2018, 07:03 PM »
he looked aggressively at me kayak!!!!

you know carp  are  invasive too  and cause damage  .....kill em

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #21 on: Jun 20, 2018, 07:04 PM »
I take it you mean carp!

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

hinkydo

« Reply #22 on: Jun 20, 2018, 08:00 PM »
Right now we need to take care of another invasive species CORMORANTS.
They are going to eat all walleye and perch if not. 

hinkydo

trapper2000

« Reply #23 on: Jun 20, 2018, 08:07 PM »
CORMORANTS are  not invasive

oatkasut

« Reply #24 on: Jun 20, 2018, 08:12 PM »
add mergansers eating trout to the list as well. They too have invaded western New York from their haunts in the Catskills and the   'Daks and they're breeding here as well.

seamonkey84

« Reply #25 on: Jun 20, 2018, 08:15 PM »
They may not be an invasive species, but they’re population has increased significantly and are becoming a problem. Also, the more birds that are eating fish usually means the parasites (yellow grubs and black spots) are going to be more prevalent as they are spread back and forth between birds and fish.
"You know when they have a fishing show on TV? They catch the fish and then let it go. They don't want to eat the fish, they just want to make it late for something." - Mitch Hedberg

trapper2000

« Reply #26 on: Jun 20, 2018, 08:39 PM »
the reason why the population of all these birds and other spieces is increasing is that the enviroment is getting healthier  ...DDT  has been banned since 1972  acid rain is   a thing of the past  and thanks tothe clean air and water act  things are much better ...means cormorants populations  are higher ,but guess what i never thought i would see a wild bald eagle in the state of new york ..... populations of everything are going up enjoy it

deerefishyfishy

« Reply #27 on: Jun 21, 2018, 06:59 AM »
We have several nesting pairs of bald eagles along the Susquehanna River down here in the southern tier and it has become far less unusual to see them in the past 10 years as they have drastically increased their numbers. I agree that the swans are beautiful to look at but they are definitely nasty, aggressive birds. If it was deemed necessary to "depopulate" them then I have no problem with people doing their jobs, but I would also agree that it should have been taken care of a little more discreetly. Don't get this waterfowl hunter and fisherman started on mergansers and cormorants... :cursing: they are like the woodchucks of the waterfowl world!!
Do you think fish go home and lie about all the bait they stole?

Early to bed, early to rise
Fish all day and make up lies...

There's a reason they call it fishing, not catching.

trapper2000

« Reply #28 on: Jun 21, 2018, 07:18 AM »
mergansers can be legally shot during duck season......

the truth about these swans is ,they were  tame ,you could feed them out of your hand .

filetandrelease

« Reply #29 on: Jun 21, 2018, 08:02 AM »
mergansers can be legally shot during duck season......

the truth about these swans is ,they were  tame ,you could feed them out of your hand .
They make great dog food

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.