FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Braid  (Read 5929 times)

filetandrelease

Re: Braid
« Reply #30 on: Jul 24, 2018, 10:35 AM »
I use fireline Fuse for ice fishing and it freezes up , keep it warm and life is good , I use it for trolling it’s tough , get a knot and it’s not forgiving as some braids , I do have a spool of FL braid that I haven’t tried yet ,
  I have been a FL fan since the beginning , a bud on the PWT turned me on to it ,
But are tons of choices , my jigging and shore casting I use  Power Pro hi viz ,

fishinjohn

« Reply #31 on: Jul 24, 2018, 08:04 PM »
just get some of that fireline stuff. Its basically like waxed line. I use it ice fishing. Doesn't freeze up as easily.
I started out using fireline.. but after half a season of casting plugs the wax starts to wear off and the line breaks down.. I started using power pro a few years back and now I'll NEVER buy fireline again

lowaccord66

« Reply #32 on: Jul 26, 2018, 05:42 AM »
Powerpro is ok in the lower breaking strenghts.  The 50 and 60# can be questionable.  Also the stuff gets extremely brittle if it is in the sun for a long time.  Fireline crystal on my freshwater stuff has been fine for me.

filetandrelease

« Reply #33 on: Jul 26, 2018, 06:55 AM »
I never had a problem in the lower # test of PP , with it getting brittle at least in fresh water , but some lines in the heavier weights act different

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #34 on: Jul 26, 2018, 09:02 AM »
I use Power Pro for both fresh and saltwater and never have an issue. Casting into the wind can give you some twists and leaving it exposed to the sun also weakens the line, as already mentioned.
Wicked Wec

JDK

« Reply #35 on: Jul 26, 2018, 09:07 AM »
I am not a huge fan of braid in all situations and don't climb hills singing it's universal praise.  It has it's place and is good for what it is.  I use Power Pro on my muskie rods and never had an issue

I use Power Pro on my deep water togue trolling rods and the only issue I had was the gorillas I fish with want to reef on the fish so hard they pull hooks.

As stated before by someone, most braid issues are user error which is why I asked the question of what and how it is being used. 
# SAND

lowaccord66

« Reply #36 on: Jul 26, 2018, 09:22 AM »
JDK, one season I stopped using it all together aside from surfcasting where youd be crazy to give up the distance braid affords.  I caught fish much the same.  Had to increase the hookset to Bill Dance levels to compensate for stretch but other than that it was business as usual. 

Also know so many guys who bought knock off powerpro from online thinking its the real thing. 

I just added 1800 ft of super slick to 2 reels this weekend....couldnt find samuri braid.  See how it works out.

JDK

« Reply #37 on: Jul 26, 2018, 09:29 AM »
Also know so many guys who bought knock off powerpro from online thinking its the real thing. 

My father being one.  He was all proud of himself for finding 12,000 yards for $20 that was rowed over by Hop Sing himself.  It was/is junk.

I'm not a braid hater but like everything else, it isn't always the best tool for the job.
# SAND

filetandrelease

« Reply #38 on: Jul 26, 2018, 11:38 AM »
Jon hope the slick works for you , my buds Had an issue , I’m still on the spectra ,
 But I don’t use it for all applications
 And JDK if guys are pulling hooks out using braid use a a leader and let them snap some fish off to train them they need to calm down just a bit and let them replace the tackle , I have educated a few in my boat 😉 by the way I educated myself the hard way 💴 , as I have a pretty good hook set ,

JDK

« Reply #39 on: Jul 26, 2018, 11:49 AM »
I do use leaders and would need 100 feet with these guys.  I fished last evening with one of the guys.  Had my togue rods because I forgot to take them out of the boat this past weekend.  Salmon popped the line out of the release, he grabbed it, reeled 10-12 turns and set the hook like Bill Dance (I love that saying lowaccord66).   Needless to say they parted company.

Hard to teach a 71 year old new tricks. 8)
# SAND

filetandrelease

« Reply #40 on: Jul 26, 2018, 12:06 PM »
 Lol , Oh boy set that hook 🎣

fishinjohn

« Reply #41 on: Jul 26, 2018, 01:31 PM »
I decided to try suffix 832 this year.. I like it but took a little time to adjust from power pro. The 832 seems to have a slippery surface on it and the line would slip off of finger much easier.. I looked like a complete rookie at times for a week

filetandrelease

« Reply #42 on: Jul 26, 2018, 02:38 PM »

John I have a spool of that but haven’t tried it yet a bud uses for ice fishing with a leader and likes it

lowaccord66

« Reply #43 on: Jul 26, 2018, 03:36 PM »
Ive tried the sufix and didnt like.  Fred I think I will probably dislike the super slick but the darn baitshop only had bulk spools of the samuri braid diawa makes.  I wont let a shop fill my spools...that stuff is amazing in 40lb and 55lb.  I have a backup reel with 55lb that has been used for 3 seasons no issues.

JDK Bill Dance is the man and if you know anything of the hookset...you know it has flipped him right out of his boat!

seamonkey84

« Reply #44 on: Jul 26, 2018, 05:12 PM »
Trying to remember to not set the hook when trolling was tough. Lost me a few fish when I started last year... and one early this year lol. Same thing when using circle hooks, just pick up the rod and start reeling. I use fireline on a couple of my spinning rods and power pro on my one baitcaster. I only use them when I want to fish deeper or in thick cover.
"You know when they have a fishing show on TV? They catch the fish and then let it go. They don't want to eat the fish, they just want to make it late for something." - Mitch Hedberg

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.