FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: bamboo fly rods  (Read 1144 times)

james1981

bamboo fly rods
« on: Jul 23, 2018, 06:55 PM »
 I was wondering if any of you owned a bamboo fly rod?  I was looking at making one or just finishing it with my own custom silk pattern for the guides. I found blanks for around 80 dollars and kits with guides and reel seats for around 150. A few more dollars and it could be done.  I also saw some awesome fiberglass blanks for around 30 dollars that would be a really cool addition to fishing as they are very slow action and I love slow action fishing rods for trout.

stripernut

Re: bamboo fly rods
« Reply #1 on: Jul 24, 2018, 09:18 AM »
I have fished Bamboo in the past and that slow action is way to slow for me... I am not saying it is wrong or bad, just not to my taste. Last time I was giving a lesson with a bamboo rod, we went down two line sizes to help make it feel a LITTLE crisper, helped him throw a lot more line (old 9wt salmon rod for stripers)... He loved getting some stripers on his grandfather's old rod after he did that he cleaned it up and put it away for his grandkids...

Good luck I am sure it will be a work of art!

bobbyg

• Team HewesCraft
« Reply #2 on: Jul 25, 2018, 08:49 AM »
I have 4 bamboo rods, 2 Orvis and 2 Thomas and Thomas. I much prefer the action of a bamboo and also glass rods over graphite. I would not say my rods are super soft or slow. they are very responsive and excel also in short windows and roll casting.  Also a premium bamboo rod made by a master builder is not to be compared to a cheaper bamboo rod or blank. there is a world of difference in how the blank is assembled and also the quality of the bamboo itself. I also use silk line and find it to be perfect for making a bamboo shine. Now if your going to looking using 7 weight and above lines then the graphite rules. But in 3 to 5 weight a bamboo action is hard to beat.

Negative Friends Are Like Black Holes, They Will Suck The Life Out Of You.

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

james1981

« Reply #3 on: Jul 25, 2018, 06:52 PM »
 bobby g,  I don't have the 2000 or 3000 to purchase from a master builder, but I might find a glass rod to use in the mean time.  I love my cheap eagle claw glass rod, 20 dollars, it is just such an awesome rod to use 4lb test on and catch trout, its my preferred rod. I own two fly rods both graphite, cabelas and another cheap rod. I am needing a new fly rod I broke the top piece off just below the last guide bushwacking in New Hampshire in june. Hike in ponds 2 days and decent fishing. Just something about being 2000ft up and fishing trout exclusively.
  Thanks for the input, I will be looking for a new rod bamboo seems out of the price range now but glass rod might be right in my price range.

bobbyg

• Team HewesCraft
« Reply #4 on: Jul 25, 2018, 06:59 PM »
I totally understand, it’s a lot $$$$. Here’s a link to pretty decent bamboo company, this might help.
https://headwatersbamboo.com

Plus headwaters is having a sale on some fine rods

Also here’s a great place to start for glass rods..
http://thefiberglassmanifesto.blogspot.com/p/rod-shops.html?m=1
Negative Friends Are Like Black Holes, They Will Suck The Life Out Of You.

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

taxid

« Reply #5 on: Jul 25, 2018, 08:51 PM »
I have one of those cheap yellow glass Eagle Claw flyrods. Has to be at least 25 years old. I love it flying fishing for bluegills, but unfortunately no real trout streams near me to get any more sophisticated. 

I found an antique bamboo flyrod in really good shape with two tip sections, a bag, and a case, and gave it to my dad as he has a thing for them.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

lowaccord66

« Reply #6 on: Aug 07, 2018, 07:54 PM »
James you will like this I think:

https://youtu.be/bxTFN-g-EVc

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.