FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: High Water  (Read 739 times)

bogtrotter

High Water
« on: Aug 05, 2018, 07:34 PM »
I was tied up most of yesterday at the Adams Aggy Fair (where they held their first ever rodeo, by the way - - which, for this lifelong cowboy wannabe, was really neat to watch) - - so I didn't get to go fishing till the evening, when I finally got out from about 6 to a little after 8 PM.

It was partly sunny and about 70 degrees.

I started by the Natural Marble Bridge State Park and fished the North Hoosic, but therer was little point because the water was roaring.

It had rained heavily earlier in the day, but it had stopped several hours earlier, and I had assumed the water levels would be back down to reasonable levels, but I was wrong, and I couldn't find any real "backwaters" on the river itself, so I headed up a little stream (Hudson Brook) that runs through the NMBSP and empties into the river.

I eventually found a backwater pool just below the waterfall at the end of the chasm below the Natural Marble Bridge itself, and eventually caught an 8" golden orange brook trout.

I hoofed it up past the NMB to a small pond above the Marble Dam and landed a second 8" brookie in a relatively slow movinbg (usually virtually still) section a little above the dam.

After that I hiked back to my car and drove to the Eclipse Mill dam, but once again, the water was just too high, so I called it quits for the day. By that point, it was starting to get dark.

westernmas

Re: High Water
« Reply #1 on: Aug 06, 2018, 10:00 AM »
Nice job.  High water during this time of year isn't a bad thing though!  The Westfield should be fishable all week.  I guess I'll have to give the farmy a break and fish the freestones while I can.
AKA-PMaloney86 on the shanty
AKA-westernm@$$hole prior to a mod change
Instagram @Patsquatch413

lowaccord66

Re: High Water
« Reply #2 on: Aug 06, 2018, 10:45 AM »
Jim maybe its time for another visit?  I have a spare flyrod now should you want to give it a whirl. 

Ha yes you give it a rest.  I lost quite the brown on a sulphur dry the other night.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.