FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: First 4lber on a Frog  (Read 1550 times)

westernmas

First 4lber on a Frog
« on: Aug 21, 2018, 08:43 AM »
After your typical Monday at work I decided I needed to take advantage of the nice cool evening. I loaded up the truck w my smaller kayak and headed up to my favorite pond in the hills.  I got a couple of bites right off the bat but they were most likely rock bass or panfish. I lost a couple of senkos but couldn’t manage to hook anything. With daylight fading I tossed on the frog. I paused my retrieve just at the edge of some lillies and got smashed by a largemouth. It was my first fish pushing 4lbs using a frog. I’ll take one nice fish over the handful of dinks that I seem to be getting lately.

AKA-PMaloney86 on the shanty
AKA-westernm@$$hole prior to a mod change
Instagram @Patsquatch413

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
Re: First 4lber on a Frog
« Reply #1 on: Aug 21, 2018, 09:25 AM »
Nice bass!
Wicked Wec

lowaccord66

« Reply #2 on: Aug 21, 2018, 09:46 AM »
Nice bass Pat.  Im gonna grab a predator pdl when I get back from this trip.

elevatorman

• Finally made it on to team Lund ! 18 Sport Angler.
« Reply #3 on: Aug 21, 2018, 10:44 AM »
Nice Larry
Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in awell preserved body; but rather to skid in side ways totally worn out shouting (holy sh*t)  WHAT A RIDE! FISH ON!.

westernmas

« Reply #4 on: Aug 21, 2018, 12:17 PM »
Thanks guys.

Jon, you may want to look around.  The pedal drive system that Hobie uses had its patented expire so there are new companies in the game with that same pedal drive.  At the Icast expo they had some really nice pedal drive yaks at relatively reasonable prices.  However, the predators are very nice.
Instagram @Patsquatch413

fishercat

• hard water or soft water just let me fish
« Reply #5 on: Aug 21, 2018, 03:19 PM »
Quality Bass congrats.
I fish for those "stupid fish" BASS. Largemouth Smallmouth Stripers, and even Rock bass.

bogtrotter

« Reply #6 on: Aug 21, 2018, 09:54 PM »
Nice job.  A four pound bass is one helluva fish!

Knot there yet

« Reply #7 on: Aug 22, 2018, 05:25 AM »
Top water frog #1 in my book. Popping frogs are my new favorite.,Just the sound of getting hit . Was throw poppers at stripers last night but they only tail slapping it. I’ll take a small fish on top water over ten on jig. 
 Nice fish
 Hobie’s old paddle pedal drive expired. I wouldn’t go that route.(paddles not fins) All pdl kayaks are great. None are hands free you need to steer with one hand. They all have revere now.(except mine2016).
 My drive is great in weeds and sea grass. My buddy with the 180 drive has to clean off more than me. 
 It’s not just about brand it’s model and length. I’d consider sound if in fresh water a big deal.I paided a lot but would do it again. Fits what I do.(Hobie Outback) Boston Harbor mostly.

westernmas

« Reply #8 on: Aug 22, 2018, 09:49 AM »
Top water frog #1 in my book. Popping frogs are my new favorite.,Just the sound of getting hit . Was throw poppers at stripers last night but they only tail slapping it. I’ll take a small fish on top water over ten on jig. 
 Nice fish
 Hobie’s old paddle pedal drive expired. I wouldn’t go that route.(paddles not fins) All pdl kayaks are great. None are hands free you need to steer with one hand. They all have revere now.(except mine2016).
 My drive is great in weeds and sea grass. My buddy with the 180 drive has to clean off more than me. 
 It’s not just about brand it’s model and length. I’d consider sound if in fresh water a big deal.I paided a lot but would do it again. Fits what I do.(Hobie Outback) Boston Harbor mostly.

So far in my experience the drive systems that use a propeller are virtually useless in weeds.  I've fished over some eel grass in the LI sound and spent half my time taking weeds out of the prop.  If I had to do it again I'd get one with the fin type setup versus the propeller. 
Instagram @Patsquatch413

lowaccord66

« Reply #9 on: Aug 22, 2018, 10:35 AM »
Will stay out of the weeds.  Pretty easy to do that. 

westernmas

« Reply #10 on: Aug 22, 2018, 11:45 AM »
Will stay out of the weeds.  Pretty easy to do that.

Not always.  If it is low tide as the launch that I go to in LI sound the whole paddle out to the sound is eel grass.  Theres a channel to follow to stay out of it but its darn near impossible in the dark.  Plus in that situation I usually just leave the propeller up and paddle out to deeper water.  The propeller system isn't terrible but for an investment of over 2 grand I'd expect better.
Instagram @Patsquatch413

Knot there yet

« Reply #11 on: Aug 23, 2018, 09:05 AM »
Not always.  If it is low tide as the launch that I go to in LI sound the whole paddle out to the sound is eel grass.  Theres a channel to follow to stay out of it but its darn near impossible in the dark.  Plus in that situation I usually just leave the propeller up and paddle out to deeper water.  The propeller system isn't terrible but for an investment of over 2 grand I'd expect better.

I’d stay with hobie just change to 13’revo . Lost 50# and speed and grace through water of revo would get me to the 6-7 mile mark per.1/2day trip. (Salp) burp

lowaccord66

« Reply #12 on: Aug 23, 2018, 12:11 PM »
I love salps  ;).  No hobie for me just out of spite.  If they can make a yak that doesn't cost more than my boat then maybe.  Having thought of the spots Id be using the predator already I wont have any weed issues...on the prop at least   ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.