FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Fall Bite  (Read 3532 times)

bigr

Fall Bite
« on: Aug 27, 2018, 08:27 AM »
Do you think the fall bite has started? Fished Saturday and it kinda felt like the start. Caught several crappie in location that's tends to produce a few weeks later than this. Bluegil bite was as good as ever. I'm on vacation next week so i'll hit some of my other fall spots with hope they have started on them as well.

Teacherpreacher

Re: Fall Bite
« Reply #1 on: Aug 27, 2018, 08:41 AM »
Mmmmmm, maybe?? Me thinks with this continuous heat we need some cool nights before we can call it fall? But, it happens every year! :laugh: I do think we are living through a cyclical weather change with temps warmer, longer. In the 50's we had same thing. I remember fishing a lake in lower Michigan on November 10, opening day for pheasants, catching big gills on a popper. Was in the low 70's!
Love the fall!!!!
Heading back up to the UP on Sept. 8. Been warm up there too. High 70's, low 80's but calling for 60's-70's, when I'm up there. Yea!!!!
Do all that you love, with those that you love, as often as you can.

gilldan

« Reply #2 on: Aug 27, 2018, 03:39 PM »
I think it is.  Last year during this week my buddy and I were hammering big gills and red ears on a pond at the Huntington res.  The bite was hot for 3 weeks.  Usually its the last week of Sept.  We figured it would be the same this year and I was hoping too get there this week but its not going to happen.  Got a foot injury and I can't walk on it yet  Hopefully they give me the OK tomorrow but I'm not counting my bee moths just yet.  Probably back to sitting on the bucket on the pier again at the end of the week again.  Been seeing some woolly worms and the wife is raising her last batch of Monarch butterflies.

netminder34

« Reply #3 on: Aug 28, 2018, 08:22 AM »
I am not sure if the fall bite is on but I did pretty well scouting a new lake last week with a good mess of Crappie and Gills.  The bite was pretty consistent after trying a few different methods and ending on a slow troll to cover some water and get the lay of the lake bottom for future trips.  Released all the fish, caught them on worms, waxies, leeches, minnows, but nothing on artificial.  Just moved back to Michigan so scouting some lakes around the new area and hoping to get out a little more in the next few weeks while waiting on taking possession of the new house then it will be unpacking and little fishing until hard water I am sure.

RoeBoat

« Reply #4 on: Aug 28, 2018, 09:42 PM »
Fall bite.....were you outside today BigR?  I'm ready for fall, this heat is ridiculous!  Too hit to fish, maybe in a couple weeks if I'm not in a tree.

bigr

« Reply #5 on: Aug 29, 2018, 03:25 AM »
yea this heat and humidity is terrible. looking out a couple three weeks looks much more like my weather but its really too far to forecast accurately. Sweatshirt/jacket all day works for me. I'll still get out over my vacation next week and fish hard. Suppose to cool alittle. 

RoeBoat

« Reply #6 on: Aug 29, 2018, 05:31 AM »
Yeah, I'm ready for fall.  The only thing this heat is good for is to hasten that color change I'm looking  forward to!

tater140

« Reply #7 on: Aug 29, 2018, 07:31 AM »

Bring on some cool weather.... I'm ready

seamonkey84

« Reply #8 on: Aug 29, 2018, 12:05 PM »
Bring on the fall and ice! It’s 92F here in Maine and way too muggy. To answer the OP, around my parts the nights are getting cool, so the surface temps are starting to drop. The behavior of the fish seem to be effected by the change in hours of daylight as much as they are the temps. Or maybe it’s the moon cycle lol.
"You know when they have a fishing show on TV? They catch the fish and then let it go. They don't want to eat the fish, they just want to make it late for something." - Mitch Hedberg

bigr

« Reply #9 on: Aug 29, 2018, 01:31 PM »
Seamonkey I agree. Sun position, longer nights, rains that seem cooler, food sources that show up in the late season, I believe all contribute to the triggering. I think it's just started on the couple natural lakes I fish. I know from past season that the real good bite doesn't last long on these lakes and I don't want to miss any of it. Last couple years I've let the warmer weather keep me from them and when i did get the best weather for us fishermen it seemed I only caught the tail end of the bite. A couple 30 degree nights and the fish transitioned into winter mood.

Teacherpreacher

« Reply #10 on: Aug 29, 2018, 06:16 PM »
This would be Fall in the UP!!

Do all that you love, with those that you love, as often as you can.

taxid

« Reply #11 on: Aug 29, 2018, 07:04 PM »
Don't forget in Maine the salmon, brook trout,  lake trout, and brown trout going in to a spawning mode. And there are strains of rainbows that spawn in the fall too.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

seamonkey84

« Reply #12 on: Aug 29, 2018, 07:47 PM »
Don't forget in Maine the salmon, brook trout, and lake trout, and brown trout going to a spawning mode. And there are strains of rainbows that spawn in the fall too.
Yep, looking forward to fall fishing. Although, Almost all our rivers are closed to fishing oct-April. most of the trout ponds/lakes are under special regs until January, but we’re still allow to catch and release with artificials. Last week when I was out, smallmouths were out over deeper water chasing bait, ended up catching them instead of trout while trolling
"You know when they have a fishing show on TV? They catch the fish and then let it go. They don't want to eat the fish, they just want to make it late for something." - Mitch Hedberg

taxid

« Reply #13 on: Aug 29, 2018, 07:58 PM »
I was at Namakanta Lake lodge years ago and I believe I was able to fish and keep brook trout until sometime in October.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

bigr

« Reply #14 on: Sep 10, 2018, 03:18 AM »
Just ended my week long vacation. Weather was terrible all week for fishing. Extreme heat at the beginning then all day rains. Did get out a few times and caught fish but my comfort zone was never there. The fall bite is not on as yet. I think now my ideal of fall bite has as much to do with my personal desired weather and surroundings as much as the actual fish bite. I'll take a few days off towards the end of sept or early oct,

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.