FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: lake ontario perch  (Read 2341 times)

FarginIcehole

lake ontario perch
« on: Jun 22, 2005, 02:53 PM »
It seems to  me from reading some lake erie threads on this site that the perch is a year round target. i see reports of perch action in 50 to 60 fow off of cattaragus creek and so on and so forth. has anyone ever fished lake ontario offshore in summertime for perch with any success?? where would i begin my search in the rochester area of the lake. are the fish in huge schools or scattered?? any tips would help. even if i dont go out fishing for em this summer at least i may learn something.   Fargin

eyedoktr

Re: lake ontario perch
« Reply #1 on: Jun 22, 2005, 03:27 PM »
There are huge schools of perch (big perch) in Lake Ontario. When I kept a boat at Sodus, there was an old timer who knew where to go and could limit every time out with nice sized fish. I think the fact that there aren't many people fishing for them (just like the walleyes), they are hard to keep track of. If you find them, they will usually remain in the same general area for a while.
Pete Lewis

Chucker

« Reply #2 on: Jun 22, 2005, 05:13 PM »
I picked up a few in Cayuga this past Sunday in less than 10' of water drifting a 1" power tube from a kayak.  Can't say how concentrated the fish were, but they were eating sized.

fishryc

« Reply #3 on: Jun 22, 2005, 06:44 PM »
It seems to  me from reading some lake erie threads on this site that the perch is a year round target. i see reports of perch action in 50 to 60 fow off of cattaragus creek and so on and so forth. has anyone ever fished lake ontario offshore in summertime for perch with any success?? where would i begin my search in the rochester area of the lake. are the fish in huge schools or scattered?? any tips would help. even if i dont go out fishing for em this summer at least i may learn something.   Fargin
Hey Fargin
They're out there, but not easy to find. 25 / 30 years ago, before all the high technology electronics were available (flashers were "it" back then), I fished with an "old timer" (he was in his 70's in the late 70's / early 1980's; (Anthony Stackow and member of Niagara River Angler Assn. if anyone remembers this Giant of a fisherman). We would slow troll with worm harnesses on the bottom as in walleye fishing, traveling from 30 feet deep outward to 60 feet of L. Ontario water about 2 to 3 miles east of the Niagara River. When we were lucky enough to find some (yep, they were in schools in the warm water season) on the bottom, we would anchor and jig or bait them with worms or minnows. Schools would move, then we would start over again. Lots of hard work, many times fruitless. I've heard of some charters ("Fish Hooks" out of North Tonawanda for one) that can target these perch successfully. Good luck-  I presently only fish the easy spring and fall runs in all the harbors. Last 2 years were tough, but you can usually put a fair poundage in your freezer at these times-
 I fish the shores / harbors of Niagara, Orleans, and Monroe counties but am willing to travel for my favorite pannie, perch. Send me a PM and I'll do the same when I find 'em!
Fishryc
"A liberal is someone who feels a great debt to his fellow man; a debt he proposes to pay off with your money".

"Defeat the fear of death and welcome the death of fear.”

G. Gordon Liddy

capt hookem

« Reply #4 on: Jun 22, 2005, 09:22 PM »
did pretty good on perch one day in 20 to 30 ft of water in front of webster pierWas actually smallmouth fishing when I started catching them All were good size too I think it was around this time also ... Niagaras casted out with 1/16 oz sinker and just let them fall..

bigdave1018

« Reply #5 on: Jun 23, 2005, 05:35 AM »
the perch are in shallow water around the port bay area. the hardest part is finding them but just being on or near the water is worth it. its not the fishing thats hard, its the catching. big dave out.

FarginIcehole

« Reply #6 on: Jun 23, 2005, 09:26 AM »
greatt info fellas, i am gonna fish some smallies and perch this weekend.i too like to fish em when its easy, spring and fall,but i want to try this out too.  Fargin

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.