FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Cayadutta Fish Kill Update  (Read 1058 times)

fishryc

Cayadutta Fish Kill Update
« on: Jun 30, 2005, 06:17 AM »
Glad to see that Tradition Leather was formally ticketed in the 6/14 killing of 2000 fish (which included brook trout and crappies). Heavy rain had caused their contaminant laden trash receptacle to overflow into the storm drainage system. Two of the tickets carry a $37,500 fine in addition to a $500 fine for each fish killed (that could be up to $1,000,000). Although fines can’t undo the damage, I’m glad to see that stiff penalties are being handed out for violators as a reminder to other industries to be responsible and avoid environmental damage.
 Off the subject- anybody know if revenue from DEC issued tickets stays within the DEC, or does NY State take it for some general fund? It would be good if that type revenue stayed in the DEC, although in this state I’m guessing that this is not the case (probably need it for some social assistance program!)
fishryc
"A liberal is someone who feels a great debt to his fellow man; a debt he proposes to pay off with your money".

"Defeat the fear of death and welcome the death of fear.”

G. Gordon Liddy

Deposit

Re: Cayadutta Fish Kill Update
« Reply #1 on: Jun 30, 2005, 07:59 PM »
Here is the deel...The money for DEC tickets, all sport material baught (they have a special tax) is SUPOST to go to DEC funding. But like everything in this great state looks are decieving. Everything ends up in the general fund and is divied out by department (um thats after our wonderful representive take their cut)

devil-man

« Reply #2 on: Jul 01, 2005, 04:55 AM »
When did this happen, Fisheryc? This is the first I've heard of it.
I think Deposit is right, all funds go into a "general" cesspool of money.

fishryc

« Reply #3 on: Jul 01, 2005, 05:57 AM »
When did this happen, Fisheryc? This is the first I've heard of it.
I think Deposit is right, all funds go into a "general" cesspool of money.
The fish kill occurred on June 14th at Gloversville, somewhere between Albany and Utica. Although some tickets have been issued with the potential fines that I indicated, the investigation is still ongoing. It sure seems to me that someone really dropped the ball by having a waste receptacle full of toxic waste outdoors and open to the elements without some type of containment system in place. I once worked at a food manufacturing place that used vinegar by the tanker load. The above ground storage tank had a concrete wall around it, along with an automatically activated pumping system to remove any leaks to a secure containment area. This was only for vinegar at a location tens of miles from any waterway, I can’t imagine that something similar is not mandated for industrial waste. Nail them to the wall I say.
"A liberal is someone who feels a great debt to his fellow man; a debt he proposes to pay off with your money".

"Defeat the fear of death and welcome the death of fear.”

G. Gordon Liddy

devil-man

« Reply #4 on: Jul 01, 2005, 06:02 AM »
Where's the hammer?  >:(

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.