FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Who Plans to Hit The Chu?  (Read 3091 times)

stripernut

Who Plans to Hit The Chu?
« on: Apr 02, 2021, 03:25 PM »
I won't be able to hit it until Sunday, but the weather looks good...

I plan to mostly throw hardware, but I have some unused Spikes from ice fishing... Many years past I have done well on Salmon with Maggies, so the spikes should work... Easier carrying around than shiner bucket!

SalmonAndStriper Stalker

• landlocked salmon,stripers,lake trout,trout,bass
Re: Who Plans to Hit The Chu?
« Reply #1 on: Apr 02, 2021, 07:56 PM »
I'll be there. have been doing very well with sizeable salmon on shiners the last couple seasons. the morning battle for spots awaits....

taxid

« Reply #2 on: Apr 02, 2021, 08:45 PM »
I won't be able to hit it until Sunday, but the weather looks good...

I plan to mostly throw hardware, but I have some unused Spikes from ice fishing... Many years past I have done well on Salmon with Maggies, so the spikes should work... Easier carrying around than shiner bucket!

A surprising amount of steelhead are taken on spikes and beemoths out here in Great Lakes rivers and streams. No surprise you can catch salmon on them.

Good luck!
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Ryan51993

« Reply #3 on: Apr 03, 2021, 05:57 PM »
Best of luck to you guys who are getting out today/tomorrow. I decided to wait until probably Wednesday because I like to avoid crowds and it's looking like the least windy day of the week (I've regretted making the drive multiple times in the past because of wind) . Talked to a few guys who got out today who did OK and said the EP's were very active checking licenses which I was happy to hear because I've never seen one there.

stripernut

« Reply #4 on: Apr 03, 2021, 06:32 PM »
Looks like a nice drop in the wind in the morning tomorrow and I plan to hit a spot that gets little pressure.

taxid

« Reply #5 on: Apr 03, 2021, 08:43 PM »
You guys are having a lot of wind out there too? It's been blowing a gale off and on for weeks here. Really getting tiring.

Anybody feel a tremor out your way? People on the Internet said they felt one in southern New England. But NGS says no. No idea what they must have felt.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Ryan51993

« Reply #6 on: Apr 04, 2021, 07:52 AM »
Yes its been incredibly windy lately, many days of 30mph+ gusts in the past month or so. Today is only calling for 15 mph but its always worse on a big body of water. Must be a spring thing because when its 90 degrees and I'm dying for a breeze it doesn't exist! I haven't heard about a tremor and I didn't feel one but small ones do happen around here from time to time.

stripernut

« Reply #7 on: Apr 04, 2021, 03:18 PM »
No Easter Eggs for me, but some nice fish to get the season rolling;

No wind, some ice in the guides but not so bad. The lakers were not hitting very hard with many small taps. The one I did land followed all the way in, now that one wanted that jig... The Smally (about 5lbs) I got on a Jerk Bait, hit at 20sec. during the pause. I don't fish that technique often as I am not very patient, but I will have to try it more...

bogtrotter

« Reply #8 on: Apr 04, 2021, 07:20 PM »
Nice coupla fish! :thumbup_smilie:

The Jigger

• Member of the G.O.D.S.
« Reply #9 on: Apr 05, 2021, 09:56 PM »
Good job as usual Alan :thumbup_smilie: :thumbup_smilie:

stripernut

« Reply #10 on: Apr 06, 2021, 04:45 AM »
Thanks!

taxid

« Reply #11 on: Apr 06, 2021, 06:41 AM »
Thanks for sharing Alan.

One of these years I'd like hit the Chu for bedding bluegills with the fly rod in June. Mostly catch and release but fun.

BASSQUATCH

• Bass Fishing For Life 🎣
« Reply #12 on: Apr 06, 2021, 10:38 AM »
I plan on hitting the chu more often this year. I never really targeted smallies there. Used to fish it allot in my younger years for the trout and salmon . Does anyone want to share a general location to target smallies? I know of a spot my dad used to talk about but I like to try other locations. That's a beauty smallie Allen . Nice job🎣👍

FOREVER HUNTING "BASSQUATCH"

ICEHOLE

« Reply #13 on: Apr 06, 2021, 11:23 AM »
I plan on hitting the chu more often this year. I never really targeted smallies there. Used to fish it allot in my younger years for the trout and salmon . Does anyone want to share a general location to target smallies? I know of a spot my dad used to talk about but I like to try other locations. That's a beauty smallie Allen . Nice job🎣👍
Was there yesterday, slow slow. 1 laker and and second run. No smallie love on jerk baits..the epo that checked me said that was the theme of the day
I have spots in mind Keith  but I've never hammered them hard enough to point you there..I need to spend more time as well
Trout, LMB, SMB, BullHeads, Lakers, Pike, Carp

stripernut

« Reply #14 on: Apr 06, 2021, 12:33 PM »
One of these years I'd like hit the Chu for bedding bluegills with the fly rod in June. Mostly catch and release but fun.

I have seen countless more Bluegills at Quabbin and often more room for casting a fly rod... My father, Will, and I have had a great time getting nice Crappy on the fly rods with some  Blue Gills mixed in. We were in a boat rental at the time. When you are ready I can get you some waypoints...

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.