FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Boat rentals on the Q next year?  (Read 6251 times)

Baitbucket

Re: Boat rentals on the Q next year?
« Reply #15 on: Nov 15, 2020, 07:28 AM »
I work 10x harder than they do and I interact with tremendously more people then they do on a daily basis. I also drive about 250 miles a day and have to go inside peoples homes who refuse to wear masks constantly, so my job is more dangerous in every sense of the word. I'm working 6 days a week and upwards of 60 hours right now. I never got any kind of a break, never got any kind of hazard pay. You're out of your god d**n mind if you think their job is more difficult and dangerous than everyone else's. I stand by what I said, they have the benefit of working for the state where they can get paid to do absolutely nothing because the money will keep coming from the taxpayers no matter what. They should WORK like the rest of us or not get paid. PERIOD.

First of all, they are working lol.. They did the same things they do every year except allow rentals. Thats it.... Im not sure how you equate no rentals to "sitting at home doing nothing and getting paid for it". You are simply viewing what you want (rentals) as their only responsibility and because you cant have it, they are doing nothing. Again, very shortsighted.

Secondly, I didnt say it was more difficult or dangerous than anyone else's job. And just because the company you work for clearly doesnt value the health and well being of you and your family doesnt mean every single other company on the planet should follow their lead.

In both your posts you reference "hazard pay", "not getting a break", and knowingly being put in situations that could result in you contracting covid. It sounds to me like you are more frustrated with your job than anything, and simply taking that frustration out on anyone who is being afforded the benefits you feel you deserve.

stripernut

« Reply #16 on: Nov 15, 2020, 07:35 AM »
When I was younger I would have loved to work a gate, but it is a low-paid, seasonal job and I doubt that they were even paid when it was closed. I could never afford to work a gate, just too little money for too short a time... I have been fishing the Q longer than many of you have been alive and the guys and gals working the gates are almost always working and spending some time talking to fisherman/the public is part of the job. We are all frustrated with the pandemic, no matter what "side" you may fall in, but what is happening at the "gate-level" is not in any control of the seasonal employees that work the gates.  It looks like next season we will have a better understanding of the virus and with luck, we will start to get a vaccine, making it much safer to make available things like boat rentals.
Ryan51993, it is clear you work very hard, it sounds very similar to my current job, I hope you (and you should be) are making 5 to 10 time the pay the seasonal gate workers are making. If not you should be looking for a different job that pays better.
Spring is too far off and there is a lot that will be happening between now and then! I still plan to get some more open water fishing in and then we will see how much ice we will get... I have some dates with Walleye this winter in mind!

SalmonAndStriper Stalker

• landlocked salmon,stripers,lake trout,trout,bass
« Reply #17 on: Nov 15, 2020, 02:56 PM »
there should be no excuse for there not to be rentals because of the virus. handing your ID over and filling out paperwork is no more of an exposure risk than walking up to the shack and handing your boater id card.

Baitbucket

« Reply #18 on: Nov 15, 2020, 08:56 PM »
there should be no excuse for there not to be rentals because of the virus. handing your ID over and filling out paperwork is no more of an exposure risk than walking up to the shack and handing your boater id card.

I dont hand them my card, i hold it up and they scan it.

taxid

« Reply #19 on: Nov 16, 2020, 05:03 AM »
You know what's a hoot? I fish for a species that isn't even listed for the Q when I rent a boat. There are some very large bluegills in area 3.  If I hit it just right in June there are massive bluegills bedding. Casting a twister jail jig or a fly on a fly rod into a mass up 50 to 200 big males bull bluegills on their beds is a blast for a midwest guy. They are large enough it's an effort to reel them in. The scenery, solitude and lack of idiots flying around in their powerboats and PWC's is just icing on the cake. Next time I'd like to find the crappies (calico bass) as I'll bet there are some real brutes in the Q.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

stripernut

« Reply #20 on: Nov 16, 2020, 06:31 AM »
I have found the big Bluegills (and Rock Bass) very annoying as they hit my jitterbugs at night... I always think about tossing them back in and using them for bait...

Ryan51993

« Reply #21 on: Nov 16, 2020, 06:51 AM »
First of all, they are working lol.. They did the same things they do every year except allow rentals. Thats it.... Im not sure how you equate no rentals to "sitting at home doing nothing and getting paid for it". You are simply viewing what you want (rentals) as their only responsibility and because you cant have it, they are doing nothing. Again, very shortsighted.

Secondly, I didnt say it was more difficult or dangerous than anyone else's job. And just because the company you work for clearly doesnt value the health and well being of you and your family doesnt mean every single other company on the planet should follow their lead.

In both your posts you reference "hazard pay", "not getting a break", and knowingly being put in situations that could result in you contracting covid. It sounds to me like you are more frustrated with your job than anything, and simply taking that frustration out on anyone who is being afforded the benefits you feel you deserve.
You just listed all the reasons there job was difficult because of rental "slobs" in your last post. Now you say they're doing nothing different this year? And I never said they sit at home I said 3-4 of them sit at around talking all day and roll their eyes whenever somebody shows up at the counter. I love my job and wouldn't change it for anything, my point was most of us don't have the luxury of refusing to do 50% of our job and still getting paid for it. if anyone needs a new job its the guys at the boat launch. Also, I'm sure it doesn't apply to all of them but I know at least one of those guys who told me he collects unemployment every offseason while working under the table and makes very good money doing it.

Baitbucket

« Reply #22 on: Nov 16, 2020, 07:53 AM »
You just listed all the reasons there job was difficult because of rental "slobs" in your last post. Now you say they're doing nothing different this year?

I listed all the reason rentals werent allowed this year. Again, you clearly believe their only job is renting boats.

As a person who fishes there 30+ times per season, i see alot of the work these guys do. I know a couple of them that actually are members of this forum. And people who think and act like you do nothing to motivate them to fight to get the rentals going again.

Anyway, ill leave this thread be. Good luck to you to where ever you end up fishing.

lowaccord66

« Reply #23 on: Nov 16, 2020, 11:55 AM »
Well this certainly turned into a who can pee in the wind further match....the funny thing is the only neat thing quabbin has is no pleasure boaters.  There are many fisheries that are much better even being public bodies of water but alas they are not in Mass. So I stopped going to quabbin short of 2x a year but that was after many years of figuring that place out.

My favorite anecdote about the staff is there's more than a few that are constantly visibly high at work, and it makes me laugh everytime.  A couple of which do not care if that's known or not!

taxid

« Reply #24 on: Nov 16, 2020, 06:35 PM »
I have found the big Bluegills (and Rock Bass) very annoying as they hit my jitterbugs at night... I always think about tossing them back in and using them for bait...

That's one of the reasons I come back to Mass and fish some of the lakes. I have a blast catching them while the locals ignore them. OTOH one of my favorite ponds in Mass is a shadow of itself due to a certain ethic group removing them by the hundreds.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

lowaccord66

« Reply #25 on: Nov 16, 2020, 06:40 PM »
That's one of the reasons I come back to Mass and fish some of the lakes. I have a blast catching them while the locals ignore them. OTOH one of my favorite ponds in Mass is a shadow of itself due to a certain ethic group removing them by the hundreds.

Cecil did you survey the groups harvesting fish or do you have a racial bias?  Either way bringing race into it is worse then the benign posts Ryan made.  Wicked poor form and people wonder why the heck there's so much animosity...generalizations like that don't help.  Also, there's no limit to panfish in Mass so you are blaming the wrong people regardless of race.

Specifically disturbing is the lack of evidence outside of your anecdote...

taxid

« Reply #26 on: Nov 16, 2020, 10:13 PM »
Cecil did you survey the groups harvesting fish or do you have a racial bias?  Either way bringing race into it is worse then the benign posts Ryan made.  Wicked poor form and people wonder why the heck there's so much animosity...generalizations like that don't help.  Also, there's no limit to panfish in Mass so you are blaming the wrong people regardless of race.

Specifically disturbing is the lack of evidence outside of your anecdote...

Why Iowaaccord66 do you attack me here? Did I do something to you? Are you having a bad day? This is not the first time. Is there something about me that bothers you? Is it because I'm from out of state?  For someone that accuses me of a racial bias you sure seem to have some kind of outsider bias. I don't see you attacking anyone close to home.

No I don't have a racial bias. Hell I didn't even mention race. You did. I said ethnic group. There is a difference. And just because I observe, and others I know have observed a particular ethnic group catches and keeps everything they catch doesn't make me prejudice. An yes I know there is no limit. Still doesn't make it right.

For your information I have personal observations by myself and by two friends in the area that regularly fish the pond I was referring to. As I indicated before here I used to live in the state and come back often. I have ancestors that lived in what is now Massachusetts in the 17th century.

As you should know as an angler, when sunfish are on the beds they are very vulnerable. They will attack anything that comes in their bedding area. In a colony of a hundred or so one can catch and keep every last one of them. So a lake that has a low fertility and alkalinity, grows large bluegills only because they live a long time -- not because they grow fast-- encounters people that take them out by the hundreds. Doesn't take long for the size to go down. And hence my comments. So go pound sand. I'm done with your posts here.

lowaccord66

« Reply #27 on: Nov 17, 2020, 02:34 AM »
Apparently if I don't like what you post I have something out for you?  Whatever, I don't care if someone with a racial slant doesn't like me.  You go be biased in Indiana...this reminds me of other posts where you called peaceful protesters...slobs.  I don't know you therefore I'm not attacking you...I'm commenting on what you posted...but play the victim, I'm not surprised you tried calling me out for that because there's no excuse for calling out an ethnic group...for a guy your age the reaction is rather "snow flakey"

I'm off pounding sand...

Ryan51993

« Reply #28 on: Nov 17, 2020, 04:56 AM »
Taxid does have a point. One day 2 years ago an eastern European guy started ice fishing a tiny pond near me and took an entire sled full of panfish. Next day he's back with 2 of his buddies and combined they probably took a couple hundred more. NOTHING went back in the water with these guys, not even the bass. I asked them how they did and they all looked nervous and kept repeteatedly saying "no trout" even though I had seen them catch several. Now both size and numbers have been completely depleted. Just because there is no limit doesn't mean you should go to an 11 acre pond and take thousands of fish per season. And this is not a race thing, they're whiter than I am. Sucks to have an entire fishery ruined by 3 people.

lowaccord66

« Reply #29 on: Nov 17, 2020, 09:39 AM »
Taxid does have a point. One day 2 years ago an eastern European guy started ice fishing a tiny pond near me and took an entire sled full of panfish. Next day he's back with 2 of his buddies and combined they probably took a couple hundred more. NOTHING went back in the water with these guys, not even the bass. I asked them how they did and they all looked nervous and kept repeteatedly saying "no trout" even though I had seen them catch several. Now both size and numbers have been completely depleted. Just because there is no limit doesn't mean you should go to an 11 acre pond and take thousands of fish per season. And this is not a race thing, they're whiter than I am. Sucks to have an entire fishery ruined by 3 people.

Agree that just because its legal doesn't mean you should but you help make my point...its distasteful so suggest a specific ethnicity is responsible for that behavior.  One that the state fisheries biologists are aware of but seemingly are not concerned with the practice or they'd change the regulations.  Keep in mind lots of these water bodies get surveyed via shocking....if this were as large of a problem as some point out, and fisheries saw a decline then the limits would be adjusted. 

Like Ryan pointed out I've seen many different types of people harvest a lot of panfish. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.