FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Boat rentals on the Q next year?  (Read 6258 times)

zwiggles

Re: Boat rentals on the Q next year?
« Reply #30 on: Nov 17, 2020, 10:08 AM »
The word “idiot” knows no color.

Jethro

• I fish, therefore I am... always buying gear
« Reply #31 on: Nov 17, 2020, 10:30 AM »
We need ice quick or some of you need to kill a deer. Frickin' spicy in here!

taxid

« Reply #32 on: Nov 17, 2020, 11:53 AM »
The body of water I was referring to, although open to the public, and planted with trout twice a year has not been surveyed since the 1950's when it was rotenoned due to an overpopulation of golden shiners.  I have inquired and there are not even water quality parameters listed. There certainly isn't a contour map available, although I  have a very old one. Was told they may get to it at some point. The main reason in the past was it was part of a military post. I just gave it away!

I think everyone in Massachusetts knows bluegill are not regarded highly by most, but not all anglers. I have a friend that trolls with flys and lead core line for trout and occasionally hooks up with really large bluegill in the above pond much to his scorn. LOL  I have caught them up to 11 inches in this pond back in the 90's. The pond holdovers trout very well, although I don't think they usually get really large, probably due to a lack of coldwater forage. 

It's pretty much mini version of Walden pond and still looks pretty much like this photo that was taken around 1900. No homes on it. Only a small beach.

“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

taxid

« Reply #33 on: Nov 17, 2020, 01:56 PM »

But if you come from a country where there are many mouths to feed and you never know where your next meal is coming from you my be inclined to overharvest. It has nothing to do with race as Ryan pointed out. It was a learning curve for the Humong in Minnesota, but they learned quickly that overharvesting and not abiding by bag and size limits can get expensive. Most didn't know any better, but some did and tried to get away with it.

If anyone accusing me of being racist actually knew me they wouldn't even consider it. If I was a racist I wouldn't even attend my family reunions!  :rotflol:
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

lowaccord66

« Reply #34 on: Nov 17, 2020, 02:58 PM »
We need ice quick or some of you need to kill a deer. Frickin' spicy in here!

Spicey is good Geoff.  If we all agreed this thread would be dead and gone already...

CMD1987

« Reply #35 on: Nov 17, 2020, 03:10 PM »
Russians cause problems ice fishing. Seen them load up a sled full of panfish from woods hole. Seen various Asian ethnic groups cause problems while fishing for Shad on CT river. The fact that they come from cultures that are not used to strict harvest limits is a major factor. Cannot deny this fact. Has nothing to do with their skin color - more so the culture they originate from.

fishercat

• hard water or soft water just let me fish
« Reply #36 on: Nov 17, 2020, 03:46 PM »

No truer statement has ever been spoke all I got to say
I fish for those "stupid fish" BASS. Largemouth Smallmouth Stripers, and even Rock bass.

CMD1987

« Reply #37 on: Nov 19, 2020, 07:20 AM »
x2 fishercat  spot on and that's why they have the stereotypes they have. all stereotypes have roots.

I am part of an ethnic group "white folks". lol  I have seen my "ethnic group" ruin a couple lakes over the last several years.  they did it with "internet rotenone"!  "internet rotenone" comes from fishing sites and social media pages.  we get on line and post up great catches.  we post too much info like lake names, pics of scenery, pics of our boat and truck...……..  then low lifes or basically thieves go search out your spot.  (I know its not your spot but imo it is when you spent hours, days or years finding them!)  they find your spot and do good.  then they tell.show their friends and they go there.  if the bite is good enough it snowballs into a clusterduck and fish population, size class and parking are ruined for several years.  that's my "ethnic group" for ya. 

the world just gets slimier every year.  slime runs off all "ethnic groups" somewhere.  I profile heavy when im out in the world and I don't apologies for it either!  ;D life has shaped me to be that way.

Lol so true

Spot burners prolly do more damage to fishing spots than anyone else that we’ve mentioned. Fact.

lowaccord66

« Reply #38 on: Nov 23, 2020, 07:40 AM »
Lol so true

Spot burners prolly do more damage to fishing spots than anyone else that we’ve mentioned. Fact.

Yup.

taxid

« Reply #39 on: Mar 07, 2021, 08:00 AM »
BTW I know this thread is dated but does Vermont still allow the sale of some species of panfish caught in public waters?

Same for the Finger Lakes in NY? Something about if there is no bag limit then they can catch and sell them? Or has that been changed?

lowaccord66

« Reply #40 on: Mar 09, 2021, 02:34 PM »
BTW I know this thread is dated but does Vermont still allow the sale of some species of panfish caught in public waters?

Same for the Finger Lakes in NY? Something about if there is no bag limit then they can catch and sell them? Or has that been changed?

Both NY and VT allow for commercial sale. 

taxid

« Reply #41 on: Mar 10, 2021, 10:24 PM »
Both NY and VT allow for commercial sale.

Amazing.

taxid

« Reply #42 on: Mar 11, 2021, 06:09 AM »
dang!  do they even need a commercial license to do that?  seems crazy for sure.

Many, but not all out that way don't value panfish as much us we midwesterners do. I had a guy out there watching me catch bluegills that told me I could catch every last one of them out of that small lake. He'd rather catch bass. Apparently it never dawned on him that bluegills are the most important and dependable forage fish for largemouth bass.

lowaccord66

« Reply #43 on: Mar 15, 2021, 12:11 PM »
dang!  do they even need a commercial license to do that?  seems crazy for sure.

Do not need one. Still must follow all regulations per water body.  For example you can't go to champlain and harvest 100 crappie.  Can only take 25.  Yellow perch unlimited take.  7" 3/4 is a market perch...that size and above.  Sometimes they pay a couple bucks a pound.  Not an easy living at all so there are not many guys that do it.  More guys do it around champlain.

Mass still has a commercial rod and reel striper fishery.  Kind of funny when there's a rec harvest reduction.  When I participated in that fishery the annual quota was 14 million pounds.  Good years the quota would get knocked out fast in a month then the season is closed.  Now with less stripers available the season takes a bit.  I think last year's quota was 12 million pounds or so. 

Thats crazy!  Meanwhile they say the fishery is in such bad shape they cut rec harvest and make circle hooks mandatory.  I doubt anyone is going to yoyo bunker with a circle hook!  (Main way the rod and reel commercial guys catch from boats)....

SalmonAndStriper Stalker

• landlocked salmon,stripers,lake trout,trout,bass
« Reply #44 on: Mar 16, 2021, 09:01 PM »
let my permit lapse this year. sort of regretting it now. nice to be able to take 15000lbs bluefish instead of 3 fish....

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.