MFF US Northeast > Massachusetts

New Species on the Fly Rod

(1/4) > >>

westernmas:
Well I had debated posting about this but in looking at other forums/blogs it seems like the cat is out of the bag.  After getting a nice skunking on the Salmon River I had heard rumors of atlantic salmon being caught in MA on the fly rod.  I had last Friday off so me and a buddy decide to try our luck at landing one of the beasts.  We didn't get to the river until about 2 and right when we got to the water we could see huge fish tailing around in the gravel.  I headed up stream and focused my efforts on a pod of about 6-10 salmon with good sized brookies and bows mixed in.  After about an hour of no luck I switched to a small olive bugger and hooked one in the mouth but the hook-up lasted all of 2 seconds.  Next fish I saw go for the fly I set harder but ended up snagging the fish in the back.  After a fight that I let go too long I finally broke the fish off.  I hooked into 2 more and landed both, one on a small bugger and the other on a soft hackle egg pattern.  The strength of these fish along with the acrobatics that they incorporate into the fight is amazing.  I'm glad I brought the 6wt so I could keep the fight to a minimum.  Its a once in a decade event in this state and I'm glad that I got to be a part of it.

SalmonAndStriper Stalker:
I may have to head out to that river instead of my normal haunts.

filetandrelease:

Well done 🎣

SHaRPS:
Very nice!!!

manitron:
Great work Pat!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version