FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Anybody have Wave Wackers or a similar brand on their boats?  (Read 5634 times)

lowaccord66

Re: Anybody have Wave Wackers or a similar brand on their boats?
« Reply #15 on: Sep 11, 2020, 05:54 AM »
Its old school spot lock. 

filetandrelease

« Reply #16 on: Sep 11, 2020, 06:20 AM »

Its old school spot lock. 
Old school spot lock is an anchor 😉

Mac Attack

« Reply #17 on: Sep 11, 2020, 08:08 AM »

Yea, spot lock is for sitting in one place.

Wave whackers are for slowly and precisely moving thru an area or around and thru structure when presenting your bait in a slow precise manner is required.

Jethro

• I fish, therefore I am... always buying gear
« Reply #18 on: Sep 11, 2020, 12:22 PM »

Wave whackers are for slowly and precisely moving thru an area or around and thru structure when presenting your bait in a slow precise manner is required.

I'd say I do that with my trolling motor just moving forward trolling sewn smelt or even live bait at less than 1 mph. I never personally understood back trolling and why it's preferred in some instances but then again I've never caught a walleye in my life.

Mac Attack

« Reply #19 on: Sep 11, 2020, 12:45 PM »
I'd say I do that with my trolling motor just moving forward trolling sewn smelt or even live bait at less than 1 mph. I never personally understood back trolling and why it's preferred in some instances but then again I've never caught a walleye in my life.

Like I said in an earlier post Geoff, I believe it started before decent bow mount trolling motors were around.
It goes back into the early 60's but I think maybe even back into the late 50's.
I agree with you that a good bow mount will allow you to do the same thing.
And if you have I-Link, it will automatically follow a contour.
Or retrace a previous path.
Etc.

lowaccord66

« Reply #20 on: Sep 11, 2020, 01:21 PM »

I have one of those things!  Nothing like watching the boat swing back and forth over a group of fish all day.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #21 on: Sep 11, 2020, 04:05 PM »

I still have a rack of dog bone markers somewhere. Catch a perch....drop a marker. Old school plotting.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

taxid

« Reply #22 on: Sep 11, 2020, 04:48 PM »

:rotflol:

“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

taxid

« Reply #23 on: Sep 11, 2020, 04:52 PM »

But how tight to a contour line can you stay with bow mount motor with your line behind you? Say you want to follow exactly a 20 foot break that shifts rapidly back and forth. I challenge you do that with a bow mount motor. Sure you can do it if you're standing in the front of the boat but not as precisely. Or am I wrong?
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

filetandrelease

« Reply #24 on: Sep 11, 2020, 05:12 PM »
 Well there are lots of different ways to present your baits , whether it be trolling or jigging , Pitching etc , More techniques you know the more well rounded you are , just my opinion

zwiggles

« Reply #25 on: Sep 11, 2020, 07:28 PM »
But how tight to a contour line can you stay with bow mount motor with your line behind you? Say you want to follow exactly a 20 foot break that shifts rapidly back and forth. I challenge you do that with a bow mount motor. Sure you can do it if you're standing in the front of the boat but not as precisely. Or am I wrong?

Chart plotter + I pilot and you can creep forward at .1 all along the 20’, 30’, etc line.

Mac Attack

« Reply #26 on: Sep 11, 2020, 08:23 PM »
Chart plotter + I pilot and you can creep forward at .1 all along the 20’, 30’, etc line.

And I feel that someone backttolling nights be lucky to get this accurate.   If they paid attention 100% of the time, which never happens.

lowaccord66

« Reply #27 on: Sep 12, 2020, 05:42 AM »

I can record a track along that 20ft contour with accuracy and then make the boat run that track all day while I watch my prey on panoptix mounted on the head of the ipilot. Its amazing.  I use my remote 90% of the time.  If I'm being lazy I won't follow a contour ill hit autopilot, set cruise speed and let the unit do all the work.  I like that it'll adjust the power with the wind speed and I'm hands free all the time.  No tiller work.

filetandrelease

« Reply #28 on: Sep 12, 2020, 06:43 AM »
I still have a rack of dog bone markers somewhere. Catch a perch....drop a marker. Old school plotting.
Rg
Yes sir Ive used them ,

Mac been using a terova for 11 years  , mine doesn’t have the capability to lock on the contour line and follow but then again it’s not that important for walleye fishing here 😉
 Far as wave hackers , Oneida when it’s rough  holds back a lot of water
 I have a back troller just prefer other methods

taxid

« Reply #29 on: Sep 12, 2020, 08:47 AM »

I can record a track along that 20ft contour with accuracy and then make the boat run that track all day while I watch my prey on panoptix mounted on the head of the ipilot. Its amazing.  I use my remote 90% of the time.  If I'm being lazy I won't follow a contour ill hit autopilot, set cruise speed and let the unit do all the work.  I like that it'll adjust the power with the wind speed and I'm hands free all the time.  No tiller work.

That's awesome. Can't wait to install mine and get out there again. Probably won't be until next year though.  :(. But sacrificing now and getting all my work done and out the door will be worth it for next year. Hopefully we will be done with this d**n virus. I want to make a trip to Canada next year.

Just some of them mounted up and ready for finish work. (Couldn't get them all in the frame).

A few painted and clear coated ready to mount on driftwood today.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.